RC Qualifier

Charging traxxas nimh 3000mah 8.4v battery on ez peak plus 6amp charger

Hi, I got the e-z peak plus 6amp charger. I have charged up my traxxas nimh 3000mah 8.4 volt battery a couple times already. When I set it up I choose 3amps and auto setting then the charger checks and confirms but when it starts charging I see that the volts are at 9. something! and fluctuate jumping way up over 10 volts and when the battery is fully charged its at 3528mah or a little more. Is this normal for the auto setting to do this. I'm a bit concerned because I though over charging and using more volts than what the battery has is bad for the battery plus the battery was really warm. Please let me know if that's ok and is normal. Can I change any settings other than amps for nimh charging. It seems funny that you can pick the settings needed for lipo if that's correct but can't for nimh. So let me know if its ok the way the charger charges nimh batteries in the auto setting, thanks.

A fully charged nimh cell (my understanding) will be around 1.3-1.4 volts.
    The battery will be warm after charging but if it is hot your settings may be too high. Back down the charge rate and see what happens.
    The Super Derecho

the pack voltage should be a bit higer than 8.4v fully charged and holding more capacity is fine. if the battery is getting hot then turn the charge rate down. they do get warm though.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    By charge rate do you mean amps because that seems to be the only thing I can change charging nimh batteries, both in manual or auto setting

RC Qualifier
    I guess its normal. Just seemed strange. It was watching the battery charge and the mah kept increasing so when I first charged it I stopped it at 3200 mah. The second charge I let it charge until the charger finished at it stopped at a little over 3500 mah. Battery was really warm but ok. Guess its better than it charging under the mah level as I'm sure that will happen over time with lots more charges and discharges

RC Racer
    Mine did the same thing guy45ot. I set the delta at 6mV. Wondering if I should lower it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboOptima View Post
    Mine did the same thing guy45ot. I set the delta at 6mV. Wondering if I should lower it.
    How do you set the delta, and what is the delta?

RC Enthusiast
    when i charged the same battery on the same charger i first tried it on auto and it stopped at 565mah......then i switched to manual and it fully charged to 3200mah...