RC Enthusiast

More Weeble wooble with a camera

The Alias is a lot harder to fly with a key chain camera on top! Videos are not great but for 5 bucks what can you expect! Where's that 450 Alias!

RC poster
    What if you mount the camera below the chassis? I wonder if lowering the CG would make it even more stable (or sluggish)?

RC Enthusiast
    I thought of that but the video would be upside because of the buttons. actually the video turned well, I got to see missing shingles on my roof! It'll do til I get a bigger quad set up for a camera. Like a bigger Alias!!

RC Racer
    I take video upside down on my car because of how it's mounted. I simply invert it when I save it to my computer. Takes but a second.

RC Enthusiast
    I just found that out! My daughter showed me! Back to the drawing board! Think I'll shop for a quad with an onboard camera.

RC Enthusiast
    No room under the Alias! how can I raise it up? Under the motors or body?

RC Racer
    Are you a good enough flier to hand launch and hand recover? I'm not, but I know some people are.

RC Enthusiast
    They make a camera, but if you want to fly with a key chain camera just put it on the bottom and between the camera and the quad put some shredded cotton balls there to reduce the jello effect and for the weeble wobble stuff make shore the camera is centered on the quad and fly in low rate for more smoother flying, and height for that aggressive look and feel, Happy flying:-)

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    From what I've read it really does not matter whether the camera is above and/or below the chassis. The flight control board will make the corrections. What matters is those props getting in the picture. In a perfect world I believe if I understand the articles that I have read correctly, that the camera should be in the plane with the props and in the center of balance of the quad to take strain off the FCB and motors. To minimize the jello effect the props should be balanced and one of the better anti-vibrationa materials like those rubber earplugs should be used to deaden vibration. There is an even better material that has been tested called "moon gel" which is an acoustical noise deadening putty-like substance used by musicians. Some people also swear by that fancy bed foam stuff as well. I have not tried either of those materials, nor cotton balls either. Mounting the camera needs to be secure. Some types of velcro may increase vibration- that hook-loop type.. There is one type with these mushroom shaped thingies and corresponding attachment receptors that works better. Rubber bands actually work pretty well for attachment. I have used the balanced props paired with rubber bands, and earplugs, and industrial strength velcro bottom mounted to my SYMA X1's and an 808 #16 with decent result. The SYMA X1 is very similar in design to th Alias excepting the inverted drive system.

For what its worth- my $.02USD
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-29-2014 at 12:01 PM.