Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642

    ABurg's Family Teton Fleet

    Hey guys, I needed to get my younger boy an outdoor 4X4 R/C and figured the Teton would be a great beginner rig for him. My older boy got a 1:16 Slash 4X4 and a 1:16 Grave Digger, he's better coordinated, and drives as well as an adult. He's 6.
    So, I called my LHS and placed an order for 4 of them, 1 in each color, to have an evenly matched playing field for all of us, (even got my daughter one), although the younger boy & my daughter would both be in training mode.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Here they are!
    I've read through some of the posts, and picked up on some of the problems that some are having. So while the batteries were charging, I took the time to do a minor motor break in, and lube.
    [IMG][/IMG]

    I also ID'd each body, chassis, & radio, as to avoid confusion...
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Through the vent hole in the motor, I applied a little 3 in 1 oil on the armature where the brushes contact, then ran each motor at varied speeds for about 5 minutes. Then re-oiled, and applied a drop at the shaft bushing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

    We got a couple of packs through without any problems! Afterwards, I blew the dirt out with my compressor, re-oiled the motor & put 'em away. It looks like these little trucks are going to be loads of fun!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    161
    Nice collection there, I bought one for my 4 year old to learn with too. After we got it it was so much fun I bought another one for me to run with him. It's really a fun truck, enjoy! 😀

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
    Nice collection there, I bought one for my 4 year old to learn with too. After we got it it was so much fun I bought another one for me to run with him. It's really a fun truck, enjoy! ��
    Thanks! We have a blast when we're all out there together!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Well, If anyone was going to do it, it would have to be my 6 year old who thinks he's Speed Racer!!! While taunting his driving ability challenged sister, he crashed it into the side of the house, sending shock parts flying!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I thought I'd be able to snap everything back together, but I was wrong. He sheared the shock shaft off!!!
    On a more positive note, I checked the temps of the 2 trucks running in training mode, 1 at 117deg, the other at 98. Mine was at 157 after a full pack, running it hard. I blew them all out with air after running, which also helped them cool faster. So no motor failures after 2 days and at least 4 packs each!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,207
    was yours @ 157 in training mode or sport? If you do burn a motor and dont want a fussy swap, the helion 370 is running around 110 bashing hard off road on a 70 day. The part number is in my "I got a teton" thread.

    I wonder if putting another rear bumper(sits much lower and will drop right on) on the front would offer a little more protection for the shocks?
    Last edited by rag6; 04-02-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    was yours @ 157 in training mode or sport? If you do burn a motor and dont want a fussy swap, the helion 370 is running around 110 bashing hard off road on a 70 day. The part number is in my "I got a teton" thread.

    I wonder if putting another rear bumper(sits much lower and will drop right on) on the front would offer a little more protection for the shocks?
    Thanks for the info on the motor. That 157 was in sport mode. I plan on upgrading mine, and using the parts as donors for the other trucks. What shocks me, is that he broke a METAL part instead of PLASTIC!!! I've checked your thread out , and it looks good!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    488
    I think you'll be okay with motors, all the guys I've seen who have burned up the stock one(myself included) were running lipos. Wish I had 4! These trucks are awesome. Oh and it looks like whoever at traxxas who packed the blue Teton got lazy, battery wire and connector sticking out haha
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxin View Post
    I think you'll be okay with motors, all the guys I've seen who have burned up the stock one(myself included) were running lipos. Wish I had 4! These trucks are awesome. Oh and it looks like whoever at traxxas who packed the blue Teton got lazy, battery wire and connector sticking out haha
    Well, I've been reading more and finding out that most who are breaking shocks , are breaking them at the same place. I'm either going to go with the GTR's or the HPI Mini Recon upgraded shock. BTW, I just ordered a CC Mamba Micro Pro/4100kv setup for mine, that'll give me 1 spare motor just in case.
    Also, I saw that wire sticking out, funny, huh??

    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Well, I've been reading more and finding out that most who are breaking shocks , are breaking them at the same place. I'm either going to go with the GTR's or the HPI Mini Recon upgraded shock. BTW, I just ordered a CC Mamba Micro Pro/4100kv setup for mine, that'll give me 1 spare motor just in case.
    Also, I saw that wire sticking out, funny, huh??

    AB
    Your gonna love the castle setup, you need to glue the tires or they will fly off haha. Hope your ready to start breaking axles! I have the 5300kvs in mine, even with just one motor/esc it is almost to much just on 2s unless you baby it, and that's just not fun
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oxford, MS.
    Posts
    27
    Awesome fleet you have.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. AbSoLooT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    3,432
    Very nice. That shock is a common break. check out my thread on alternate shocks that fit. Had two break on a Teton at the exact same place. Installed Dromida Shocks, and no more issues.. Plus they are super cheap, and you can do it to all your rigs for little cost.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Today I felt a little brave & let the two noobs run their Tetons in the mud, not knowing how the trucks would hold up...all I can say is WOW!!! Aside from a little squeak from what I believe was a motor, after 25 minutes of running, there were no problems! I hosed them off, ran them while still wet, blew them out with my compressor, then sprayed silicone EVERYWHERE!!! I blew the excess out of the motors, then ran them, no more squeak! I'm very happy, and the kids had a blast playing in the mud, and not getting dirty!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Hopefully, I can get a vid uploaded soon!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Very nice. That shock is a common break. check out my thread on alternate shocks that fit. Had two break on a Teton at the exact same place. Installed Dromida Shocks, and no more issues.. Plus they are super cheap, and you can do it to all your rigs for little cost.
    Hey LooT, I saw that listed on your thread, I'm unclear as to what's needed to mount the Dromida shocks. Can you list all the parts necessary here? Thanks!

    I talked to my LHS guy today, and he says all of the TRX shocks and parts are unavailable until later this month. I ordered a set of the GTR's, and a stock rebuild kit. So until I either get the Dromida's or my parts in, one of the trucks is dead in the water...so to speak!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Got a short vid...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Click on the image to view.
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Full video here:



    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    I knew it wouldn't last, no, not the truck, but me not doing any modding...I got my CC Mamba Micro Pro/0808 4100kv BL motor combo installed tonight.... runs good!!! Quick, responsive, brakes well, I LIKE IT!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Now, just waiting on some shocks, maybe some diffs....
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    488
    Nice! Throw a lipo in her now!!
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    50
    How is your TOP speed as compare to stock motor? Faster, same or lesser top speed?

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxin View Post
    Nice! Throw a lipo in her now!!
    I will, this weekend!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by baja5t View Post
    How is your TOP speed as compare to stock motor? Faster, same or lesser top speed?
    I haven't had a chance to check it out yet except a short test run in the house last nite to check gear mesh. It's quick though, going to drop a LiPo in this weekend!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Ok guys, I got some LiPo time in this weekend, This thing is STOOPID FAST!!! I understand some guys are looking for high speeds, and have put 5000kv motors and higher in, The 4100kv Castle motor is fast enough for me! It is hard trying to keep this truck in a straight line on loose dirt, and steer where you want to!!! The system works great!

    Also, the kids went through around a dozen & a half packs today, I was monitoring temps, and blowing the motors out between runs. My daughter's truck had a motor bearing that started howling, so I pulled the assembly, cleaned the motor with electrical cleaner, and oiled the bearings & armature where the brushes contact. When I put it back together, it was FASTER!!!
    They each have had more than 10 packs through each truck, and the motors keep on truckin'! On the other hand, my boy broke TWO shocks today, luckily, I had extra parts that I bought after he broke the first one.

    So far, after minimal maintenance, these trucks have been a great source of entertainment for them. And a WHOLE lot of work for me, as I can't keep up with the battery charging!!! I've been using the Traxxas 1200 mah batteries from the 1:16 cars with adapters. Fortunately, I have several of those!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,207
    Are the kids still running in training mode? You never mentioned weather or not they "graduated" to full power.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    y oldest boy has always been in sport mode, he's the one who keeps breaking shocks. The other two are still in training mode. They can run for about 45 minutes non-stop, which still generates some pretty good temps. I checked my daughter's after a good run, it was 140. I noticed it because the chassis was hot under the motor. My boy ran his to around 170, so I blew it out & cooled it down with air. It's still running good. Mine are staying around 110 on the brushless setup, no issues there.
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  23. #23
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    210
    I have the same motor set and I needed more speed I race it on the street and there's large speed bumps. I geared up with the rally spur, it was good after that I tried the smaller rally spur and larger rally pinion but it made the 4100kv motor hot (not super hot).

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,207
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    y oldest boy has always been in sport mode, he's the one who keeps breaking shocks. The other two are still in training mode. They can run for about 45 minutes non-stop, which still generates some pretty good temps. I checked my daughter's after a good run, it was 140. I noticed it because the chassis was hot under the motor. My boy ran his to around 170, so I blew it out & cooled it down with air. It's still running good. Mine are staying around 110 on the brushless setup, no issues there.
    AB
    Hey, I have 2 motors and 1 esc for sale cheap in the MP. They would be low cost backups "just in case". I also have 2 stock batteries and chargers that I will add to that thread in a day or two, and could put together a killer deal for you. Check it out.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by jackislost View Post
    I have the same motor set and I needed more speed I race it on the street and there's large speed bumps. I geared up with the rally spur, it was good after that I tried the smaller rally spur and larger rally pinion but it made the 4100kv motor hot (not super hot).
    So, what are the pinion/spur numbers that you are running? For me, the 4100kv with stock gears is plenty. I'd like to step my Rally up though, I put the 5300kv setup in it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Hey, I have 2 motors and 1 esc for sale cheap in the MP. They would be low cost backups "just in case". I also have 2 stock batteries and chargers that I will add to that thread in a day or two, and could put together a killer deal for you. Check it out.
    Thanks for the offer, but since I upgraded 2 of the cars, I have 2 complete motor/ESC combos on standby already.
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  26. #26
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    So, what are the pinion/spur numbers that you are running? For me, the 4100kv with stock gears is plenty. I'd like to step my Rally up though, I put the 5300kv setup in it.


    Thanks for the offer, but since I upgraded 2 of the cars, I have 2 complete motor/ESC combos on standby already.
    AB
    I'm running 54/10 (rally spur, Teton pinion)
    I tried 54/14 all rally spur/pinion but it made my 4100kv hot. I didn't try 60/14 Teton spur rally pinion yet
    Last edited by jackislost; 04-15-2014 at 02:31 AM.

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,207
    54/14=3.86:1
    60/14=4.29:1
    54/10=5.40:1
    Going to 60/14 will give you more speed and heat for sure, but not as much as 54/10.

    Maybe a 12tooth pinion would be a good investment. You would then have all of these ratios to tune for temps, depending on ambient:

    6.00:1
    5.40:1
    5.00:1
    4.50:1
    4.29:1
    3.86:1

    So with 54 and 60 spurs, and 10,12, and 14 pinions, you have a very wide range of gearing to tune for any situation 8)
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  28. #28
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    54/14=3.86:1
    60/14=4.29:1
    54/10=5.40:1
    Going to 60/14 will give you more speed and heat for sure, but not as much as 54/10.

    Maybe a 12tooth pinion would be a good investment. You would then have all of these ratios to tune for temps, depending on ambient:

    6.00:1
    5.40:1
    5.00:1
    4.50:1
    4.29:1
    3.86:1

    So with 54 and 60 spurs, and 10,12, and 14 pinions, you have a very wide range of gearing to tune for any situation 8)
    Yeah, true but I'm going to try 60/14 soon after I get my GPM c block and knuckles GPM told me they start to ship later this month. I already pre ordered from them
    Edit: forgot to mention that 54/14 gearing made the car cog a little trying to go very slow crawl speeds
    Last edited by jackislost; 04-15-2014 at 12:02 PM.

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    54/14=3.86:1
    60/14=4.29:1
    54/10=5.40:1
    Going to 60/14 will give you more speed and heat for sure, but not as much as 54/10.

    Maybe a 12tooth pinion would be a good investment. You would then have all of these ratios to tune for temps, depending on ambient:

    6.00:1
    5.40:1
    5.00:1
    4.50:1
    4.29:1
    3.86:1

    So with 54 and 60 spurs, and 10,12, and 14 pinions, you have a very wide range of gearing to tune for any situation 8)
    Thanks for the info. So to make the Rally faster, go with 54/10, got it!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    rag6:
    Maybe a 12tooth pinion would be a good investment.

    Where do you find a 12T pinion for these motors? I don't see any listed in the accessories catalog.
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    488
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

  32. #32
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Covina, So Cal
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxin View Post
    Thank you!!!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

  33. #33
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,207
    Any pinion for the associated rc18 should work.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  34. #34
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6
    I was out running my Teton with the stock battery and I had thought the battery was dead when I picked it up I felt MASSIVE heat. Took it inside pulled out my multimeter which has a temp probe - touched the probe to the side of the motor this was about 5 minutes after picking it up outside. It read 212 degrees F. It still works and still flies at about 30mph so I guess one time at 212 degrees doesn't ruin it. It's not meant to do donuts in gravel I guess - I was only doing what I saw in the YouTube videos Traxxas has up - this being my first RC in 30 years how am I supposed to know the Traxxas videos aren't accurate.

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    Get the : http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...hock-Set-Red-2 I got myself a set of these and they fit on the Teton.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

  36. #36
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    84
    Broken link, Shadow
    ---
    LaTrax Teton
    Thunder Tiger Phoenix STII

  37. #37
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpaw View Post
    Broken link, Shadow
    Thanks for telling me Wolfpaw it worked this weekend.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

  38. #38
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    Buy the Atomik Aluminum Shock Set 2pcs for Metal Mulisha 1:18 and Animus RC Car off of Amazon they are 19 dollars and work great.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

  39. #39
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    84
    ---
    LaTrax Teton
    Thunder Tiger Phoenix STII

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •