Thread: New car

New car

I'm looking at getting a 2007 subaru impreza wrx hatchback 2.5l 5 speed manual. Are these cars very reliable? Also I understand that you have to let it idle before driving and after driving to let the turbo cool off or warm up. How long should it idle? Is there any other maintenance specifically for the turbo? I will probably baby it even more than my rc cars since I expect it to last a long time.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

It probably doesn't need to be said, but around here you cannot find a used WRX that has not been beaten like a drum. THAT I think will be the determining factor on its reliability.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Just go on a very long test drive to make sure it hasn't been beaten to death and you got yourself a nice wrx. Those 2.5i engines are pretty reliable if you maintain them, and the same goes for all engines.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    Never heard of having to let the car idle to cool off the turbo, the turbo should cool of back to its normal temp within a minute after a full throttle pull. And as far as letting the turbo warm up before taking driving, I wouldn't worry about that either, just don't nail the throttle tell it up to normal operating temps, wont hurt the tubo if you do but its easier to blow a head gasket will the engine is cold.
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Competitor
    Get a mechanic to check it out before buying it. The cost will be "cheap" in comparison to buying a lemon.

You could get a turbo timer that will handle the car running and automatically switch off when the turbo has cooled down. Or just keep off boost for the last 5 or so minutes of each drive.

RC Qualifier
    I run a HKS turbo timer on my 05 STi, and haven't had any issues. I just have mine set for 30-60 sec. Also has a option to let the the timer determine cool down time according to the driving style.
    Just make sure you stay up on ur oil changes and run synthetic, you should be good to go.

And finding a wrx that has been drove hard is kinda hard. These cars just ask to be drivin hard.
    MERV SV3/5700
    Slash MMP/2400
    Slayer Pro
    Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It probably doesn't need to be said, but around here you cannot find a used WRX that has not been beaten like a drum. THAT I think will be the determining factor on its reliability.
    Man tell me about it.

I am in the market for a 04-08 WRX Sti, and man talk about back luck finding a clean, non-beat to death Stubie. 90% of them are all high mileage, and way over priced.

To the OP, just take your time with your search, and Subaru makes very dependable vehicles.
    "We know who you are"