RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Replacing Diff???

So i'm halfway thru dis-mantling my whole front end just to change out my diff. Is it really this many steps to get to the front diff? seems like you have to take the whole truck apart to change it. wish there were simple how to vids that tells me which screws to take off because I seriously feel like I'm doing too much

RC Qualifier
    I don't think there's anyway around it, you basically have to take the whole front end apart. Your front diff went out? I wonder which part failed
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Just think, when you are done, you will have your answer! I have not gotten into my diffs yet, but it does seem that any driveline work will require an almost full teardown. At least it is a simple layout...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxin View Post
    I don't think there's anyway around it, you basically have to take the whole front end apart. Your front diff went out? I wonder which part failed
    It didn't necessarily go out. It just had a BAD CLICKING SOUND to it so I just got it opened and yes the plastic gears were "shaved" down. basically stripped. Replaced it with part number 7579. Wish the gears were metal because seeing how small the teeth are, I could see this happening again.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Just think, when you are done, you will have your answer! I have not gotten into my diffs yet, but it does seem that any driveline work will require an almost full teardown. At least it is a simple layout...
    yep you have to unscrew at least 10+ screws after counting just now. 2 screws I think I didn't have to unscrew.

And you're right. now that I opened it up I now know how to do it and how it works.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    It didn't necessarily go out. It just had a BAD CLICKING SOUND to it so I just got it opened and yes the plastic gears were "shaved" down. basically stripped. Replaced it with part number 7579. Wish the gears were metal because seeing how small the teeth are, I could see this happening again.
    From my standpoint there is too much slop in the diff on my truck. One solution, which I did, was I made a shim that goes on the inboard side of the bearing, either side you choose. This effectively pressed the bevel gears together for a better mesh. The bearings fit snug now on each side of the diff box.

I made my spacer .316" x .4" x .025" thick. I should have taken a picture of it installed but was in a rush to prove it out.

I reused the worn left bevel gear with the shim and it held up to 2 lipo sessions with no slipping.

I'll try to get a pic next time cause the worth a thousand words or something.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
    From my standpoint there is too much slop in the diff on my truck. One solution, which I did, was I made a shim that goes on the inboard side of the bearing, either side you choose. This effectively pressed the bevel gears together for a better mesh. The bearings fit snug now on each side of the diff box.

I made my spacer .316" x .4" x .025" thick. I should have taken a picture of it installed but was in a rush to prove it out.

I reused the worn left bevel gear with the shim and it held up to 2 lipo sessions with no slipping.

I'll try to get a pic next time cause the worth a thousand words or something.
    Cool...yea definitely want to see a pic of your solution.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just did a test run guys and the clicking is gone! Now I'm scared to go on the grass with it because that's where I think I stripped the gears. On-road Teton lol maybe a lil loose dirt but no grass.

RC Qualifier
    Could just lock the diffs, that why you could still run in grass without worrying about stripping them
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Qualifier
    I haven't taken mine apart yet, but I was wondering how they're built, I think they're too loose, as in diff action. I saw they have a spool available, anybody use one yet?
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Maybe HR will make a sealed diff lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Would be nice for someone other than Traxxas make some aftermarket parts for the Teton.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe HR will make a sealed diff lol
    Funny!
    AB

I am thinking that some Tamiya Anti-Wear grease(super thick and gooey) will stiffen the diffs up a bit.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I haven't taken mine apart yet, but I was wondering how they're built, I think they're too loose, as in diff action. I saw they have a spool available, anybody use one yet?
    AB
    I just ordered some from Active PowerSports. I have been waiting on Traxxas for months. Checked every where. I'll post back when I get them installed.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I just ordered some from Active PowerSports. I have been waiting on Traxxas for months. Checked every where. I'll post back when I get them installed.
    Are they Traxxas diffs???
    AB

RC Champion
    Are they Traxxas diffs???
    AB
    Yes They are the Traxxas aluminum spool with the same part number. I finally got tired of waiting on Traxxas and goggled the part number. Most of the big name hobby stores carry them but they are out of stock, just like Traxxas. Active Powersports were the only one that still had them in stock. I just hope I don't get an email telling me they are on back order. So far so good.

RC Qualifier
    Yes They are the Traxxas aluminum spool with the same part number. I finally got tired of waiting on Traxxas and goggled the part number. Most of the big name hobby stores carry them but they are out of stock, just like Traxxas. Active Powersports were the only one that still had them in stock. I just hope I don't get an email telling me they are on back order. So far so good.
    Cool. keep us posted on how they work out. i contacted my LHS today and ordered some today too. I'm going to put one in a Teton, & one in a Rally.
    AB

Traxxas Employee
    Cool. keep us posted on how they work out. i contacted my LHS today and ordered some today too. I'm going to put one in a Teton, & one in a Rally.
    AB
    The Teton works fabulously with a rear spool, not so much with dual spools. With a rear spool, you can climb just about anything the ground clearance will allow. With dual spools, you can't turn to save your life. I would only recommend that for snow or sand.

RC Racer

Replacing Diff???

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Cool...yea definitely want to see a pic of your solution.

Before:

After

Whatever you use make sure it doesn't contact the face of the outer ring on the bearing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    oooooohh ok, i see.

thanks for sharing my man.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    The Teton works fabulously with a rear spool, not so much with dual spools. With a rear spool, you can climb just about anything the ground clearance will allow. With dual spools, you can't turn to save your life. I would only recommend that for snow or sand.
    Do you have any idea when Traxxas will get them in. I thought I had a line on them with Active Powersports but now my status is "Awaiting Shipment". So I think they are sold out as well. Or maybe a suggestion of anybody that has them.

RC Champion
    Just got an email from Traxxas that the 7581 aluminum diff spools are in. Had to call to order. The "Buy Traxxas" still shows them out of stock. They also have the 7650R alum drive shafts in stock. The drive shafts come 4 to a pack for $20.00. Ordered the alum diff spool and alum drive shafts so bring on the boulders. Well small rocks.

are you sure its 4 in a pack for 20$ or 2? My factory packaging came 2 to a pack for those stock numbers... Got them from mth hobby on ebay for 32$ for 4 shipped(14.99/pair).

RC Champion
    are you sure its 4 in a pack for 20$ or 2? My factory packaging came 2 to a pack for those stock numbers... Got them from mth hobby on ebay for 32$ for 4 shipped(14.99/pair).
    I had to call and order the diff spool, So I ordered the alum drive shafts also. The person from Traxxas told me they come in packs of 4. I have 2 Tetons and I told the person I wanted 8 drive shafts. So he ordered me 2 packs of 4. So the short answer is I really don't know other than what Traxxas told me. I'll report back when I receive them next week.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had to call and order the diff spool, So I ordered the alum drive shafts also. The person from Traxxas told me they come in packs of 4. I have 2 Tetons and I told the person I wanted 8 drive shafts. So he ordered me 2 packs of 4. So the short answer is I really don't know other than what Traxxas told me. I'll report back when I receive them next week.
    Well if you got it for the price you stated then you got a steal. For 4 driveshaftsts, retail price is $30+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TRA-...item2c81427de0
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 04-26-2014 at 08:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I replaced my rear diff this past Thursday after mine was clicking under load on the ground only. Has anyone else noticed how much quieter it is? Mine didn't seem this smooth or quiet out of the box. I was actually able to get mine to climb a 7 inch vertical curb. The power is getting to the rear as if the diff is locked now lol.

Only thing I found weird was I had no shavings in the diff case and the spider gears looked fine. A good amount of dirt on the bearings but I cleaned them off and it only took about 45 mins start to finish.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
    I replaced my rear diff this past Thursday after mine was clicking under load on the ground only. Has anyone else noticed how much quieter it is? Mine didn't seem this smooth or quiet out of the box. I was actually able to get mine to climb a 7 inch vertical curb. The power is getting to the rear as if the diff is locked now lol.

Only thing I found weird was I had no shavings in the diff case and the spider gears looked fine. A good amount of dirt on the bearings but I cleaned them off and it only took about 45 mins start to finish.
    Did you get the diff spool? If so it is a locking diff.

RC Qualifier
    No these were just replacements from traxxas. They actually came with all plastic gears and I just transferred what I needed into the metal gear the car comes with. I made sure to push everything together real snug. I did not shim or anything just rebuilt the diff and it runs way better than before