Thread: Better motor?

RC Racer

Better motor?

Given the time and expense of upgrading to BL, is there simply a better motor out there that I can replace with my existing Titans?
    Thank you.

Yes.
    Your Welcome.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    ^^^ Thats not nice, but funny...

How about a dewalt?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    Yes.
    Your Welcome.
    Thank you. You've been most helpful. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

How about a dewalt?
    Ok. I'll look into it.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-06-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: merge

Sorry i couldn't get the link to work earlier. which is funny, but helpful.
    Click on the dotted line >>>......<<<

Someone has a AoD sense of humor.

If you want to stay brushed, many options, some good, some not so good. Do you want torque? or more speed? rebuildable? or not?

Lots of people in the past have put traxxas 775 (summit) motor in the maxx, but its gonna be slower and more torque.

I run a single Kershaw Designs 700-HO motor. About as fast as the titans and so far very reliable. Some odd modifications to make it fit, if you have questions ill answer them on my build thread http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...d-thread/page2

Up from that, is the Kershaw DeWalt upgrade, and the Kershaw dual 700-HO upgrade, both supposed to be a little faster than stock, especially the dual 700s.

You can also do your own dewalt build, im not sure what dewalt motors Kershaw uses but there are some build threads on the forum that i believe show different motors than he uses. Use the forum search for "Dewalt" or try this link:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ll-Electronics

Trucktrial uses integy motors of some type, but he keeps stuff pretty slow, think his truck maxxes out at around 12mph.

Theres also the 4s hobbywing and Kershaw brushless systems that run around $150, and will get u up into T-Maxx 3.3 territory of around 45mph.
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC Racer
    Ok. Great. Thank you so much! I think speed is my preference. I have a German Shepherd that loves to chase squirrels in a big empty field close by and I use my Emax as a way to keep her from running too far away. If I can flank her as she's running at full speed then I can swing around and stop her when she's gone too far. She knows that my EMax is the boundary not to be crossed.

Yes.
    Your Welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I beg to differ. It's not the least bit funny nor is it helpful.

Copied from a very recent post:
    The snarkiness inherent in linking to that site is exactly what we don't want here. Though sometimes used as humor, too often it is used as a means of demeaning and insulting the inquirer. I suggest answering civilly or leaving your fingers off the keyboard. Of course, it's your choice.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Wasn't meant to have a snarkiness involved, but I think my link helps. There is no bad sites linked in there, not on mine anyway.
    I don't think the twin 700's are a good idea, Maybe for the short term, but not for longevity. The only motor i would suggest is the Dewalt 396506-11. But that would get shot down with everyone using the lesser performing 396505-21 or the 396505-21SV because that was the first motor used and everyone followed that motor.

Sorry Kirwinjd if you was offended and anyone who it didn't help or further offend.

RC Qualifier
    Your link didn't provide any help.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

Kirwinjd, anyone of the Dewalt's that trax de max has mentioned will be a good solid motor with tons of torque. Just don't get the one that doesn't have the removeable brush's because mine has finally kicked the bucket and the brush's are worn bad I can't replace them so my motor is trash. When I get around to it I'll replace it with either the 396506-11 or the 396505-21 haven't decided yet.

The 396506-11 is very, very difficult to find,This is my second 14.4V and been in since the date on pic. There is one 12V dewalt that out performs every brushed motor and whips most brushless motors. But i don't know what i done with that manufacturing part number.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    Lots of people in the past have put traxxas 775 (summit) motor in the maxx, but its gonna be slower and more torque.
    Really? Thats funny cause my 775 EMaxx will do 27mph on lipos (gps confirmed). I am running 68/20 gearing, the motor doesnt any hotter than the twin 550's did, I am getting 23 min of run time and it will still wheelie like the 550's would.

Maybe I did something wrong? LOL
    EMaxx 3903 / Revo 3.3 5309 / Slash 2wd 58034

The 396506-11 is very, very difficult to find,This is my second 14.4V and been in since the date on pic. There is one 12V dewalt that out performs every brushed motor and whips most brushless motors. But i don't know what i done with that manufacturing part number...
    Before I call shenanigans, I'll wait for you to further explain. Will a large brushed Dewalt motor outperform 1:18 to 1:10 brushless motors? Sure. But will it outperform 1:8 brushless systems? C'mon.

RC Competitor
    The 396506-11 is very, very difficult to find,This is my second 14.4V and been in since the date on pic. There is one 12V dewalt that out performs every brushed motor and whips most brushless motors. But i don't know what i done with that manufacturing part number.
    I call shenanigans also... A 12v Dewalt is not even close to a Sidewinder8th, MM2 or other simalair size BL systems. I'll race ya

RC Competitor
    And my suggestion for a non brushed motor but something better than the twin 550 or single 775 would definatly be a 14.4v Dewalt motor. Did that in my Summit and was awesome!!! And still 4s all day long on stock esc. My GF is still using that motor since I went with a Sidewinder8th.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Before I call shenanigans, I'll wait for you to further explain. Will a large brushed Dewalt motor outperform 1:18 to 1:10 brushless motors? Sure. But will it outperform 1:8 brushless systems? C'mon.
    I said most, not all.

Again, IF you are referring to appropriately sized (1:8 scale) power systems, you are wrong. If you are referring to any size power system, it's an irrelevant and misleading statement.

RC Racer
    Thanks again all. Sorry I didn't see the recent posts sooner. Busy last few weeks.

RC Racer
    Wasn't meant to have a snarkiness involved, but I think my link helps. There is no bad sites linked in there, not on mine anyway.
    I don't think the twin 700's are a good idea, Maybe for the short term, but not for longevity. The only motor i would suggest is the Dewalt 396506-11. But that would get shot down with everyone using the lesser performing 396505-21 or the 396505-21SV because that was the first motor used and everyone followed that motor.

Sorry Kirwinjd if you was offended and anyone who it didn't help or further offend.
    No worries. No offense here. Your sense of humor may be a little off beat but that's ok.