RC Competitor

Aluminum Hub Carriers Binding/Rubbing

Hello again,

I have the Traxxas aluminum hub carriers. I am using the MIP X-Duty Drive Shafts and also the 1/8 scale tire kit(thinks its a 17mm rim adapter??). The right one has a bad problem binding and rubbing on the MIP X-Duty drive shafts. They bind so much I am unable to screw the bottom of the shocks to anything except the 2 farthest out (toward wheel) holes in the A-Arms. This makes my car handle poorly, it likes the stock holes for the shocks on the A-arms. The right hub carrier got destroyed yesterday. When I tighten the wheel, it binds and will not turn. the left hub carrier has a small sigh of rubbing but is in perfect shape otherwise. You guys have any idea about this?

If I am unable to solve this issue. I will be looking for some very high quality aluminum hub carriers. Some that are slightly different and possibly not rub. Any recommendations? I have read about the Integy ones but they are not machined for a solid piece of aluminum. I believe they are forged or cast? And they are prone to air bubbles and weaker??

I provided some photos of the part in question. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    It looks as though tht hub is done because there is no place to seat a bearing correctly with out it wobbling also it looks like it was dremeled out to clear it. Can you post a pic of everything together and the suspension fully compressed so we can see how it's doing this.

By the look of it you got some loctite on the moving parts. You may also have a bad bearing. The Mip's will rub a little but that is more than usual. When the Mip's rotate is it smooth or rough?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Are you running mip 17mm adapters?
    If so its imperative you run the bearing spacers in the rear, failure to do this will result in what your illustration is showing.
    A bad inner bearing can cause similer problems.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurfer98 View Post
    It looks as though tht hub is done because there is no place to seat a bearing correctly with out it wobbling also it looks like it was dremeled out to clear it. Can you post a pic of everything together and the suspension fully compressed so we can see how it's doing this.
    No dremmel, that from rubbing! I have no clue how it rubbed there? I only have 1 aluminum carrier installed now. That one seems ok, has a little bit of wear. When I get home ill post a photo of it compressed.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    By the look of it you got some loctite on the moving parts. You may also have a bad bearing. The Mip's will rub a little but that is more than usual. When the Mip's rotate is it smooth or rough?
    The bearings were good when this started happening. And it started rubbing as soon as I installed the X-Dutys with new bearings. Yesterday a bearing blew. I replaced it but thats when the wheel started binding and would not turn at all. Then I put in a plastic hub carrier, it worked till it snapped. Then I installed another plastic one. It lasted a very short time. I was not driving it hard at all! Im not sure what failed on that one, have not taken it apart yet.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Are you running mip 17mm adapters?
    If so its imperative you run the bearing spacers in the rear, failure to do this will result in what your illustration is showing.
    A bad inner bearing can cause similer problems.
    I do have the 17mm adaptors and I am using the spacer.

Can you please post a picture of the Mip's and the rest of the CV axle. I really want you to get this resolved. The more pictures the better.

Quote Originally Posted by musman View Post
    I do have the 17mm adaptors and I am using the spacer.
    Viper was running a certain bearing carrier and having issues as well but I cant recall what brand he was running, perhaps I can do some research and find you an answer.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    I am in the process of uploading a video. Thanks for all the help. Not sure I could make it through this hobby without you guys lol.

RC Competitor
    Should I just install the failed hub carrier and take photos and video? Would that be best?

RC Competitor
    Deleted, double post.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by musman View Post
    Should I just install the failed hub carrier and take photos and video? Would that be best?
    Yes. That would help leave everything the same as when it first happened.

RC Competitor
    Ill half to do that tommrow, but for now I am preping the video and some photos.

RC Qualifier
    Need to make sure your using the crush spacer in between the bearings as well, not doing so can cause the very issue.
    Who needs brakes!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    looks to me as if you have too much suspension droop that when your up in the air as your CVD spinning its grinding it.

RC Competitor
    Sorry it took so long, here is the video. I have not had time to install the hub carrier that has failed yet but I will try today after work. Thank you

RC Qualifier
    Ok well since the left side is wobbling less then the right side try and take the diff out and see if the ring gear side is wobbled out causing the shaft to wobble exseccivly which might be the problem. The mip shafts are known to wear a little bit off the traxxas aluminum blocks which looks like it has done correctly on the left side of your car. I think it it being caused by the excess play in your diff case i hope this makes sense as im trying to hurry up and type before school bell rings.

Have you replaced the bearings on that side? That bearing isn't seated in the rear hub carrier. I may also advise you pull your Mip axle apart and reinstall it. Make sure you only get loctite on the grub screw. I always just put loctite on the grub screw, let it get a little tacky then install it.
    Last edited by El Sob; 04-22-2014 at 10:18 AM.

RC Competitor
    Yes it makes sense. I did take that diff apart and rebuilt it. I pit the xo-1 diffs in it and replaced the bearings. I will check all the sugestions. I ordered new aluminum hub carriers. Ill keep a close eye for wear.

Sob, that hub carrier is ruined. It blew after about 20 min of lightly driving.

Im going to rebuild the front diff soon with the x-01. When I do that im going to take the rear apart again and check it.