RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere

Not So New to RC Aircraft Very New to the Traxxas Alias

Just an introduction here. I had almost read all the posts at RCG to learn about this little unit before I made the decision to buy. A very nice little unit to help with a serious case of RC withdrawal.

RC poster
    Welcome aboard the Alias train. Its a blast , my first arial rc and Im already looking into some other quads and stuff.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the welcome Metalbrick. I have read through about 180 pages of posts at RCG, most of them pertaining to be problems with and complaints about the motors. I have 4 operational and modified coaxial heli's, 3 operational FP heli's (one modified), 4 operational and modified SYMA X1 quads, and one operational quad build in my hangar and all the ancillary "necessary" stuff as well. I am comfortable with changing and replacing stuff including motors. From what I have read so far it does appear that I have the newer production run of motors. We'll see. My biggest problem right now is getting additional stock batteries and finding a place to fly since I am/have been +1000 miles from home, family, friends, hangar, and airfield. I am a very strange stranger in a very strange land (FL) and it is hot.

This hobby is very addictive.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-25-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Welcome. Sorry you're so far from home.
    The best advice I can give regarding the Alias is to avoid stalling the motors as much as possible. Otherwise, fly the socks off of it and have fun!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the tip. Your tip and also I assume that I should avoid less than effective quad interactions with solid objects and respect the law of gravity at all times.

It is strange that no one seems to feel that letting these Alias motors cool down after flight is important. I get amazing length of service out of my SYMA X1 motors as I always let them cool after flights and with the 600mAh batteries I use I am running ~11 minute flights which is much longer than the usual 6- 7 minutes with the stock 350mAh - 400mAh batteries. (Rotating the 4 X1's I have helps with motor cooling.)

In a lot of ways the X1 design is similar to the Alias design with the acknowledgment that the drive setup is inverted. I would occasionally lubricate my X1 motors and gears with a silicone spray which cleans and lubes the motors, bearings, gears, pinion gears, and driveshafts without any type of residue buildup or dirt/dust attraction following the spray. From what I have read so far it appears that lubricating the Alias is not recommended. At the RCG Alias thread I see inconsistent posts about lubricating the Alias. I would like feedback from members here as to their opinions. Thanks in advance.

I may have been around the block a few times with RC and quads, but that does not make me an expert. There is always something to learn and with good luck, I learn something new every day.

RC Competitor
    It appears to me that the rotor bearings are sealed. I daresay that simply keeping the area clean will do the trick.

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I'll stay with compressed air then. It's dusty down here in FL as well as hot. I do not know how you Floridians can handle this heat and it is still Springtime to you. This is high Summer for me and HOT. It appears that I have the newer production run of motors too. I can not see any holes in that motor cover under the motor pinion gear. If that is what one looks for. I will not break anything down for inspection until it is really necessary. I hope that I do not have to do this for any time soon.

RC Competitor
    I "maidened" my Alias this AM . Let me say that it is definitely no SYMA X1 with its stock transmitter. In fact the Alias at beginner level is closer in performance to my X1's performance with a programmable transmitter programmed to pretty "hot" D&R and EXPO rates. There really is no comparison, and it handled the light breeze (~3mph) with no problems. It is closer to the performance of my quad build. . The quietness of the motors was amazing, and I could even hear the low battery warning beeps. The battery was pretty warm to the touch at the end of the flight. I can understand now why some owner/operators run batteries through these little units without interruption. It is too bad that I have only one battery, but I would still give the motors a 5 minute cool down period just based on how warm the battery got. No problems, no less than effective interactions between the quad and solid objects nor myself and the police, and a soft touchdown landing. I am totally impressed.

Needed to share. I have not flown anything RC in around two months now. What a great way to get back into flying again. I will stay on course with my break in and learn this quad's specifics methodology procedures even though I want to start pushing the rates. There is really no need; I have plenty of time with only one battery.

RC Competitor
    I bought (via buyTraxxas) two more batteries and a dual charger. I also purchased (from my local Wal-Mart, in my case) a power adapter with a USB output that I could simply plug into a wall outlet. Being able to use a wall outlet guarantees that I can use the 'fast charge' option.

If you have access to either or both of these items, take advantage of 'em. It's much more fun to fly until you are tired of it, rather than flying until one battery runs out.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the suggestions and I agree about the "need" for more batteries to maximize the fun factor until maxed out from too much fun. I like exceeding the fun factor unless I get sick. I have acquired all kinds of charging stuff back home +1000 miles away from my current location along my RC "path" including the stuff you mentioned and more. The problem right now is Alias battery availability at the LHS. They were out of stock when I purchased the Alias and they have been OOS with each subsequent call back to check about the status of restock. I am leery about any kind of web order at this point due to the logistics of ordering and delivery timeframes and my own personal timeframes involving my current stay away from home. I am literally in a limbo "purgatory" state about the batteries. I probably have over a dozen 600mAh batteries w/o OCP's with JST connectors that I could safely charge and use at home right now with my charging setups that would probably fit in the Alias battery cage as long as the battery leads polarity match.

The good that has come out of this extended stay away from home is that I did get an Alias.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-27-2014 at 09:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    At the RCG Alias thread I see inconsistent posts about lubricating the Alias. I would like feedback from members here as to their opinions. Thanks in advance.

the bearings are partially sealed on one side, and open on the other. Traxxas stated in an earlier thread that it is not necessary to clean the bearings. what many of us have found is that the plastic gear and the brass pinion wear against each other and leave a micro fine dust from both in the gear well area. this is normal wear, something which I just blow out with compressed air after I am done flying. this dust does however work its way in to the bearings. I have a back up set of stock bearings for both of mine and after about 25 flights, I put in the fresh set, clean the ones coming out and put them away until the next time. with their open design Traxxas is correct in their statement that too much oil will attract a buildup inside of them. once I have very lightly oiled the ones coming out using triflow... I just let them sit on a paper towel for a little while and let any excess get absorbed. it seems to work out well and I have not had to replace any bearings.
    some have switched over to the Boca sealed economy bearings and they like them a lot. I was tempted to as well, but honestly, the Traxxas bearings even though they are open design, have never failed me so I will stick with them. it really doesn't take but very little time to do this, and it gives me a chance to inspect the gears and main shafts for wear or damage while I am at it, but this is just me personally.

this is good news that yours have the newer motors with the lack of holes in them. it is a very good sign that the market is starting to see the end of the old motors. that was the something I was glad to see they did. if this dust can work its way in to the bearings, which it does, it could also work its way in to the top holes of the motors as well.

I have not seen any complaints either way, cleaned versus not cleaned, so it is really up to you to decide if that is something you want to do.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Competitor
    Spoonerrw- Thanks for the feedback. I will use compressed air blowing away from the motors as needed and wait and see what happens.

I have never had any issues with silicone spray in the past as a cleaner/lubricant collecting any kind of contaminant either, but I will stay away from its use at present. If I do decide to use it it will only be on that black main gear. At this point compressed air only.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
    Spoonerrw- Thanks for the feedback. I will use compressed air blowing away from the motors as needed and wait and see what happens.

I have never had any issues with silicone spray in the past as a cleaner/lubricant collecting any kind of contaminant either, but I will stay away from its use at present. If I do decide to use it it will only be on that black main gear. At this point compressed air only.
    they really are quite effortless to maintain, and that is one of the things I like the best about the Alias.

RC Competitor
    I guess the key to an Alias long life is to keep it under control as best as one can at all times, do not lose it, do not hit anything, do not overly tax the motors by stalling and battery, land upright, and fly responsibly. I know that any and/or all of this is not easy. I learned a lot about this the hard way through other makes and models.

Some owner/operators appear to be much quicker learners than I

RC Qualifier
    n'ah... fly it like you stole it . this one is too much fun to be restrictive in its abilities and how it is flown. they marketed it to be nearly indestructible, and they demonstrated that many times in various forums while putting the word out. many of the Traxxas folks here a video after video of their own demonstrating just how hard it can be flown and how much fun it is. I cant speak for those who had, or are having motor issues as I personally never had that issue. I have crashed this red one in ways that go beyond belief and it just kept going... and still keeps going. it my first quad, and my original interest in quads was to see if it was a direction I might be interested in while learning, before spending a ton of money and time in building one, and the Alias has helped me decide that it is.

if I ever get in to a situation where I experience issues with the stock motors, I have already solved that problem as well. the V959 motors in my orange Alias have already proven to me that they are a doable solution, as well as others who have logged over 100 flights with them still going strong. they are a little bit lower power over the Traxxas motors, but in flight... you don't even notice it.

I would love to see Traxxas offer one of these in a larger size with direct drive brushless motors, and maybe someday they will? if that day ever comes... i wont think twice about it. the engineering they put in to the electronics, the complete design of it actually, was unbelievable for a quad of this size.

RC Competitor
    I have gone from SYMA X! to a build. I really like both for many reasons, and I still fly my X1's. I still will when I get home. I enjoy just kicking back sitting down in my lawn chair and flying over my field with the X1's. I can not do that with my build. I could not do that with this Alias- it's a much more sensitive and responsive aircraft (I like that ). This Alias could be considered a great trainer as well now that I have one and have flown it for the first time. The Alias is lot quicker in its "Normal" setting with its factory set rates in "N" than the stock X1 with its stock transmitter would be in its "H" setting. A programmable transmitter levels out the performance to a degree, but the X1 and the Alias are two different aircraft. But the Alias could be further tuned down if a new owner/operator needed to slow/tame things down further. Time will tell. The X1's by my experience and that of many others last a long time and are quite robust as well and do not have a serious reported motor failure issue like what has been reported with the Alias.

A lot of technology has been packed into the Alias. It is a good little unit. I would be interested if/when they go to a larger more powerful aircraft with a more fully featured FCB. It would have to be brushless motored- the industry and consumer market would demand that. What would be interesting would be the price.

I built my quad to get those features I wanted at a reasonable price. I can always upgrade components and/or build another quad if when my "needs"/interests change. I am slowly moving from LOS/ACRO towards FPV, but I am moving really slowly. I am in no rush to spend more money at this point (I may buy another Alias though. I like multiples of two ).
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-27-2014 at 02:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    the motor issues will work themselves out one way or another but at least there are alternatives to it if needed. Traxxas wouldn't be the first manufacturer to go through this and they wont be the last .

I didn't last long in easy mode. it was too docile even with adjusted rates. exp1 mode was much better but I grew tired of that after a couple of weeks. I used that mode to watch it do its own stunts, then went to exp2 mode practicing my own and haven't looked back. I experimented with the rates in that mode for several flights and finally settled on 90 for aileron/elevator and 80 on the rudder. it feels very comfortable for me that way. it is really nice to be able to change those things if needed and they put a great mix of other features in to it.

I looked at many alternatives when I decided to give a quad a try, including building one, but when I was pointed in the Alias' direction... it didn't take me long to decide. priced reasonably, ready to fly, easy to repair, tough as nails, a great mix of technology an options... it was an excellent choice for me to learn this side of the hobby with .

RC Competitor
    Now that I have one and have flown it for the first time and can compare it to the "trainer quad" that I learned on, the SYMA X1, I can honestly say that the Alias is a great "trainer to learn on as well. Comparing it to the X1 is comparing two different aircraft, but both are excellent trainers. I can say the Alias is faster, quicker, more sensitive, and responsive at its stock settings in "NORMAL" which could be problematic for the first time user, and which can explain for a lot of crashes in the early stages of the learning curve (and can explain for many of the motor failures too) if one does not de-tune/tame down performance via the Alias transmitter. With the self leveling, greater range of performance tuning, and greater acrobatic features if that is one's interest the Alias could serve an owner/operator for possibly a greater period of time before boredom may set in. If I had had an Alias following my X1's I probably would still not have built my first quad. Having posted all this I do not get bored flying my 4 X1's they are truly relaxing laid back kind of 3 axis stabilized fun fliers.

Just my $.02 USD

RC Enthusiast
    I am slowly moving from LOS/ACRO towards FPV, but I am moving really slowly. I am in no rush to spend more money at this point (I may buy another Alias though. I like multiples of two ).
    Well jbrumberg sounds about the same as where I'd like to go with a final goal being a DJI Phantom 2 or similar.
    After a couple of decades of RC fly'n mostly fuel. I moved on to 120 bar-less helis...and a small 808 mini camera...lots of fun.
    Ordered an Alias, be here early next week. Should be a good starting place. An a little less expensive than a Phantom to practice on.
    Love this site and tons of info one can use.

RC Competitor
    HuskyDude- If you can fly a 120 size bar-less heli you will have little to no difficulty flying one of these units.

I am sure that you are aware of rcgroups.com, but are you aware of multirotorforums.com? A great site for quad builders, ARF, and RTF owner/operators.

I just did not like the price of the RTF quads in the market for they what features they offered with their respective FCB's so I went and built a quad with the features that I wanted for a lower cost.

As you know this is not a cheap hobby by any means and one gets what they pay for. Cheap = cheap.

RC Enthusiast
    but are you aware of multirotorforums.com? A great site for quad builders, ARF, and RTF owner/operators.
    Thz for the link...Looks like a great web site. I have a lot of reading to do LOL.

RC Qualifier
    I just did not like the price of the RTF quads in the market for they what features they offered with their respective FCB's so I went and built a quad with the features that I wanted for a lower cost.
    yeah, that was my predicament as well when I started looking... what was being offered RTF. there were a number of really nice ones for a low price, but the features really lacked and they were all just too small for me to consider. most of them, and this is purely "superficial", but I just didn't like the way they looked. I had all but given up until a friend steered me to this one and I spent about a week reading, researching, and asking questions to friends with experience. in the end... this one had everything I needed it to have and it looks awesome too .
    after flying (still flying actually) Bee V2's... the Alias was a piece of cake and it has also helped me refine my skills with my mcpx2's, but I don't do 3D with them. the Alias has been pretty much win-win for me.

RC Competitor
    I actually got into quads as trainers for CP heli's (after a species of spectacular truly awesome demolishing crashes ). It was "interesting" to see my last CP self destruct by tearing itself apart in midair. That's when I learned about cheap = cheap. I never got back to CP's (yet).

I think that many of us have come from many paths to a similar place for similar reasons, and this is a good thing

RC Enthusiast
    HuskyDude- If you can fly a 120 size bar-less heli you will have little to no difficulty flying one of these units.
    My Alias finally arrived today...
    Been through about 10 flights all ready. First impressions I must say are positive all around. Normal mode is quite slow maybe good for indoors, but really, mode one and two are Soooo much fun. This thing just rips. The wind picked up a bit which kinda made it even more exciting. Kinda wish I ordered more than two batteries (writing this just waiting for them to recharge. If anyone is sitting on the fence on getting one of these little quads don't. They are worth every penny...and then some.
    I guess next is to mount my little 808 on it and take some vids...

Last edited by HuskyDude; 05-05-2014 at 09:32 PM.

RC Competitor
    HuskyDude- Great to hear back from you. I knew that your CP experience would be of benefit. I got a little overconfident with Alias #1 (E1 higher rates) and with some decent wind gusts ended up getting it too far away to orient it back, managed to disarm it in flight while killing throttle, and deep 6'd it into a pond that I did not know about. #1 is swimming with the fishes. Alias #2 (E1 higher rates) is doing much better with 7 flights in w/o further mishaps so far. I only have 2 batteries to fly and life demands create logistical challenges, but I seem to get out and get flight time in every morning early. This AM flying at sunrise today was a blast.

Nice picture. Thanks for sharing.

Happy flying.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 05-05-2014 at 09:45 PM.