RC poster

Please help! Been through 7 battery packs!

Hey all,

I'm new here and I have had my 1/16 e-revo vxl for probably over a year now...

I have literally spent over a grand on this thing, I even splurged and bought piggy back shocks... But I always melt my batteries, so it sits until I can buy new ones and I try to correct the issue... I've been through 3 Traxxas batteries and 4 Duratraxx 3600. The last ones I melted today... I got out of nitro when I bought this car, nitro I found too much of a headache, thought brushless would be better.

As it shows in the picture I am running the Dirt Hawgs on Titus wheels and I am running the stock spur gear and I have tried the 23, 25, 28 tooth pinions.

What I am hoping for is maybe have to buy another pinion or spur gear when I buy my batteries but I am just frustrated that this keeps happening. I want to have 2-3 sets of packs for this thing but I can't even keep up.

Anybody have any ideas?

The nimh batteries don't hold up to brushless power very well. You should get a parallel adapter. Or maybe get a lipo.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Lipos would solve your issue but if you do not want to go lipo for some reason the next best thing would be to use a smaller pinion to lessen the amp draw on the batteries.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Lipos would solve your issue but if you do not want to go lipo for some reason the next best thing would be to use a smaller pinion to lessen the amp draw on the batteries.
    My thoughts exactly.
    1/16 Summit beadlocks with 2.2 rock lizards

RC poster
    Thanks guys for the replies, I have been avoiding lipo due to cost and the fact that I already had a duratrax charger for nimh only... If I do make the switch to lipo what do you recommend? 2s or 3s? And what charger? What gearing?

And in the meantime if I keep running the nimh's, what gearing should I switch to?

RC Qualifier
    For the 1/16 traxxas it seems like spc is the most recommended brand. They have good products for low prices.

I love 3s in my mini summit but it kind of depends on what you want. 2s would be closer to nimh, but if you want some more speed go with 3s. I honestly think that is the biggest upgrade you can do for a Merv.

As far as gearing goes I would think if you're still having problems at 23 you might need to go down to 20 or maybe even 18.

If you go 3s lipo you may need to change gearing as well. On my brother's merv with 3s he runs an 18 tooth pinion, that is with the dirt hawgs as well.

RC poster
    Ok awesome! I will look into those. Summit, your brothers doesn't overheat or anything? Does he bash or just speed runs? I like to do a bit of both, the odd jump but mostly drifting in sand left over on the roads. Also they just opened a track near me so I will probably end up there with it...

Also a side question... Can I run two 3s lipo's in parrallel?
    Last edited by TDawg; 04-25-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Yes. 3s can be run in parallel. I would recommend spc batteries also. For general bashing and racing go with 2s. For speed runs get 3s. If you only plan to have this mini a triton eq would be a good charger. For larger packs look at a thunder power chargers. For extra power I have a cell pro powerlab 6.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TDawg View Post
    Ok awesome! I will look into those. Summit, your brothers doesn't overheat or anything? Does he bash or just speed runs? I like to do a bit of both, the odd jump but mostly drifting in sand left over on the roads. Also they just opened a track near me so I will probably end up there with it...

Also a side question... Can I run two 3s lipo's in parrallel?
    He hasn't had any overheating problems, but it is on the upper end of the temp spectrum at about 180F. Also I'm pretty sure that's on desperado wheels, and if I understand right the Titus wheels are relatively heavy, that could also effect temps.

We (me and my brother) do everything on our 3s jumping, drifting, speed runs, general bashing, running our little track in our backyard. We each have one and honestly that's all we use. The only time I use anything else is when I'm crawling. Then I use nimh for their weight and low speed.

It would be nice to have a set of 2s to use in between 3s runs, but if you are only going to buy one lipo I think 3s might be the way to go.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit Basher III View Post
    when I'm crawling.
    ...Huh? u must be joking......
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
    ...Huh? u must be joking......
    What do you mean? That the mini summit can't crawl, or nimh shouldn't be used for crawling?

RC poster
    I am really considering the lipo, would probably buy two sets if I can.. Would I have to gear differently for the 2s vs 3s? Will the 3s run higher temps? Just curious about the 2s between the 3s runs. Thanks for all your help, seems like a great forum, did not know one existed for traxxas. I think I will stick around for a while

RC poster
    go back to nitro!......im just sayin.....

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by revo25r209 View Post
    go back to nitro!......im just sayin.....
    I do have a revo 2.5 and a jato 3.3 sitting downstairs...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TDawg View Post
    I am really considering the lipo, would probably buy two sets if I can.. Would I have to gear differently for the 2s vs 3s? Will the 3s run higher temps? Just curious about the 2s between the 3s runs. Thanks for all your help, seems like a great forum, did not know one existed for traxxas. I think I will stick around for a while
    If you wanted to re gear between 2s and 3s you could it only takes a few minutes, but I don't think I would. I would set your gearing for 3s and use that same gearing for 2s. It would be a little slower than it could be on 2s, but it wouldn't be too bad.

The 3s will run higher temps compared to the 2s, but that doesn't mean it has to run hot. My mini summit with super low gearing from the transmission flip only gets a little warm on 3s.

Yeah I've looked at a few of the other forums out there but the people around here really are awesome and super helpful.

RC Enthusiast
    I had this same problem. It is becuase the NIMHs lose there memory when you run the cells lower than a certain voltage. LIPOs do the same thing, but brushless escs usually have lvcs on them. Also, in case you were wondering, lvc does not work with NIMHs.

RC Qualifier
    Put in aftermarket steering servo. When stock fails it can cause all sorts of issues. Mine never clicked but fried and I lost a esc. New Sw3 esc wouldn't work right till I unplugged stock servo. Now aftermarket servo and all good. But I only run lipo. Lipos are the only way to go. I run mine stock tires and 25/45 gearing on 3s no probelem with a fan heatsink on motor. Only gets to 100. And that is bashing and speed runs. Current setup is 5200kv motor sw3 esc dual 2s or 3s in para and non stop run 120*. Gearing down is good, but 3s is to go faster, gearing down is to lessen load but go slower so it cancels out. So get 3s a temp gun, cooling fan and go from there. I run all in parallel. get some different gears to play with too.

RC poster
    Well I think I am going to go with the spc lipo batts, one pair of 2s and one pair of 3s probably for now

Now the only thing is a charger, trying not to spend too much here but I am looking for a charger that can hopefully charge pairs of batteries. I don't want to have to build or buy a para board (been doing lots of research lol), so I am looking for one that comes with the capability out of the box... I don't need anything bigger as this will be my only rc and don't plan on going with bigger batteries ever so it will only have to charge 2s and 3s.

I mean I could figure out the whole para board thing (I have done alot of soldering on my actual cars body control module) but its more time than I really want to invest in this. I am at the point where yeah, I still love to go out and run the merv and tear it apart and fix it but I want to be able to just plug the two batteries into the charger then grab and go.

One charger in particular I have been looking at is the Duratrax Onyx 245... Anyone know any others that are pretty cheap and can charge two lipos out of the box? Thanks all

RC Qualifier
    I don't really know of many chargers, I got mine used it seems like an off brand but it's worked great.

Once I saw a cable that combined two 3s balance connectors into one 6s balance connector. Now correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you connect the power cables of 2 3s in series and charge it as 1 6s? I think that would work but I could be wrong. It seems a little simpler than a para board, I'm not sure if you'd want to try that or just stick with the dual charger.

RC Qualifier
    I have an ascend charger. It has balance plugs, compact and not expensive. Been great. Only charges one at a time, but thats fine. I usually charge batteries while cleaning or working on on my 2 cars.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit Basher III View Post
    What do you mean? That the mini summit can't crawl, or nimh shouldn't be used for crawling?
    the former. but I understand what you are talking about
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I use an imax b6 knockoff charger, and it works great but it only does one battery at a time.

RC Qualifier
    I use a knockoff IMAX b6 ac charger as well. Works awesome. Only charges one at a time but just get more batteries. Get a temp gun if you don't have one to watch your motor and esc temps.
    Ultimate Slash 4x4, HCG Slash 4x4, Ruckus 2wd