RC Enthusiast

Brushless Motors for the Alias?

Has anyone considered modifying their Alias to accept brushless motors?

I know you can get newer better brushed motors from Micro-Motor-Warehouse (Haven't tried them yet)
    But I was just wondering if it could be done? Would a brushless have enough rpm? weight?
    Someone else must have thought about this beside me????

Many others have thrown it out. You'll need to modify more than just simply installing a brushless motor into the unit.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not that savvy on the whole brushless motor thing...yet. But if we could get them to some how fit..I wonder if the ECU would run them?

Even if you could find brushless motors that fit I think the bigger issue would be making the control board power them. I do nto believe the board is capable of powering brushless motors.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    Brushed motors have two wire leads and brushless are three wired. I agree in that I do not think the FCB can be configured to handle brushless motors. One would have to change the FCB to handle brushless motors.

RC Racer
    I have an brushless Armattan component quad and all the pieces could be fit to the Alias body/frame. Individually they're not even that expensive but since you'd have to change everything you'd double the cost of the Alias. And although some of his frames are the same size as the Alias, they're carbon fiber. I don't know if the plastic Alias would take the abuse.

Now that the motor issues seem to be getting resolved one way or another, I think we should just leave well enough alone. If the Alias isn't enough quad for you, go hobby-grade.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    Now that the motor issues seem to be getting resolved one way or another, I think we should just leave well enough alone.
    In the short time between making this thread and doing some research about brushless vs bushed I see I might have jumped the gun a bit. I agree it is more trouble than it's worth...
    But thx for all the input.

RC Enthusiast
    You could make it into a brushless you could change the flight control bord and the batteries and ESC to make rune brush less motors and a GPS. Now that would be awesome :-)

RC Qualifier
    They make brushless conversion kits for micro helicopters with similar sized motors to the Alias. They come with an extra control unit for the motor. If the alias was capable of carrying 4 of these units, maybe you could do it, but the extra weight would probably cancel out the benefits.

RC Enthusiast
    They make brushless conversion kits for micro helicopters with similar sized motors to the Alias. They come with an extra control unit for the motor. If the alias was capable of carrying 4 of these units, maybe you could do it, but the extra weight would probably cancel out the benefits.
    Yes the only real benefit is the long motor life and longer run time. Depending on your batteries

RC Enthusiast
    Digging up an old thread here, but in the past 3 years has anything changed as far as the brushless conversion goes?

Nope, if thats the route your looking at you'd be better off just building a small 4 or 5 inch BL carbon fiber quad.

I see no way the Alias frame could hold the needed parts and stand up to the power the BL motors would generate.

After all you'd need 4 BL motors, esc's a FL controller, an RX and your flavor of battery to power it all.

If/when i step up from my Beloved Alias I will just build what I need from the tons of high quality kits available today.

My Alias will stay as is, as its stupid fun to fly just the way Traxxas designed her!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!