Bad bearing and buddy...

Lots of people will have that buddy. Drives (almost) the same car as you. Good guy, always willing to help. Often happy that you just happen to have that spare part available that he misses at that moment.

I have one too. Great guy. Handy with metal stuff and MacGyvering all kind of solutions. Pays me a visit every now and then and comes in with the famous line 'I need a peek in Peter's warehouse'. For some reason he always finds what he needs.

Of course I manage to break parts that are typically not in my own spares warehouse. As helpful as he is, he always says 'Oh let me have a look at my place, I think I have it' and wanders off. Most of the time he comes back after 20 minutes and says 'Nope. Out of those too. When you order, get a few for me too'.
    For the record, the financial part of the deal is always in balance.

Yesterday was the same. I noticed I broke another pin of a Tekno. Went back to the house to put a new one in and when I took the car apart, the outer bearing came out of the axle carrier in pieces.
    Went through my bunch of bearings and found out there was no 5x12x4 one.
    'Lemme take a look at my place'
    'Cool. Would be great if you have one'
    ... 10 minutes later ....
    'I have 6x12x4 and 6x13x4'
    'Hmm. Bad buddy. Your warehouse sucks'
    'No driving anymore today, I guess?'
    'Nah. Gonna order a few bearings'

Lessons learned:
    1. When you get Teknos, get an extra set of bearings.
    2. Your buddy always has more luck in your warehouse than you will have in his.
    Nobody is born with experience

^^ I love it ^^.
    For me if I need four I have three or two and have one due to helping friends out.
    I think its part of the grand designee but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    sounds like you need a new buddy, pick me I have tekno LOL.

I guess his not that much of a buddy to you. Good thing my buddy have non-traxxas trucks, well he actually have a P4de but he hardly break that thing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    ^^ I love it ^^.
    For me if I need four I have three or two and have one due to helping friends out.
    I think its part of the grand designee but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Sounds familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    sounds like you need a new buddy, pick me I have tekno LOL.

I guess his not that much of a buddy to you. Good thing my buddy have non-traxxas trucks, well he actually have a P4de but he hardly break that thing lol.
    Funny thing is that, even if his car is potentially faster, I can drive my car faster than his. I have the idea that the chance to be able to do the same with you is not that huge

To be clear: he is an awesome guy and there is definately a good balance in helping each other out. It's just my dexterity to break parts that we both don't have in spare.

RC Qualifier
    Wow that stinks I have a buddy who always says his rustler is better than my p4de but in a race I'll skunk him every time

I am the only pede owner out of my bashing mates so I make sure I have the basics because merv parts dont fit LOL......Peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Lol all my friends have 2wd cars

Quote Originally Posted by Zakary View Post
    Lol all my friends have 2wd cars
    Sounds like I'd fit right in with your buds, I rarely run anything except my scalpel in a four wheel drive format, two wheel drive is just so much more fun, at least for me.
    Not to mention more often then not I'm in front of the 4wds.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Lol 2wd are faster but hard to control but that's the fun and why I'm getting a sl2sh

Today I had this wonderful 'Oh, I am so stupid' moment.

The new bearings (that were not in my bad buddy's warehouse) arrived in the mail today. Yay! Time to get my Pede back together and give it a try when it's dry.
    I shove the bearing over the Tekno axle and for some reason it kept sticking out of the carrier. I didn't take long before I was aware of my stupidity.

Before asking my buddy for the bearing that I needed, I checked its dimensions. I still had the outer ring of the bearing. 12mm diameter and 4mm wide. And the diameter of the Tekno axle.... 5mm. Right.... 5mm at the smaller point before the threaded part starts. Of course the Tekno axles are 6mm.

So..... 4 brand new bearings in the mail.... 5x12x4. Great!
    At that moment I hear the roar of the V8 of my buddy's Ford Mercury Brougham in front of the house (his way to say 'Hi, I'm here'). I open the door and let him in.
    'Oh cool. Got the bearings in the mail?'
    'Yup...... errrm.'
    'What?'
    'You did have 6x12x4 spares, didn't you?'
    'Yeah, I think so. Need those too?'
    'Uhuh'
    'Lemme get them'
    3 minutes later
    'Here you are. Brand new ones'
    'Thanks mate, you're the best'
    'Where do those go, by the way?'
    'Oh, on the place where the 5x12x4 don't fit'
    'WHA! So you ordered the wrong ones????'
    'Yup..... Say nothing!......... Coffee or cola?'
    'Coke.'

Thanks to my great friend and the best R/C buddy in the world, my Pede drives again

RC Qualifier
    Glad this story had a happy ending.

RC Qualifier
    Wow I need a friend that has the Same car as me my buddy has a rustler
    Last edited by Zakary; 06-05-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Is it fast enough? No, no it isn't.

Dude it's one of the good things in life to have a go to buddy plus I am happy that you are back to bashing......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

He had a 4x4 Slash with the same setup in it as I have in my Pede, so there was not much difference in parts. He sold that one but still has some spare parts around.
    Besides that, his current car shares a few bearing sizes with the Pede/Slash.

Weather next days is great, so it will definately be used.

I am still looking for buddies ehehe, trying to get my step brother into it, hopefully he purchases one according to program for june.
    I met a guy on track and he literally had over hundreds of trucks in is basement, including new parts, motors , esc etc. He gave me some parts here and there but it is also is hobby buis, sells them from there, hands out his card when bashing around.

eh Peterje60, guess what, the motor I mentioned at one point, leopard is so tiny, I have to think of building something around it or give t away. Its even smaller then a 1/16 motors I have seen...compulsive buying ehehhe
    Last edited by Jezza; 06-06-2014 at 06:14 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I am still looking for buddies ehehe, trying to get my step brother into it, hopefully he purchases one according to program for june.
    I met a guy on track and he literally had over hundreds of trucks in is basement, including new parts, motors , esc etc. He gave me some parts here and there but it is also is hobby buis, sells them from there, hands out his card when bashing around.

eh Peterje60, guess what, the motor I mentioned at one point, leopard is so tiny, I have to think of building something around it or give t away. Its even smaller then a 1/16 motors I have seen...compulsive buying ehehhe
    Lol. Did you buy the small motor on purpose?
    For some very odd reason, I have a MMP on the shelf now, next to a Castle 1415 which was there already. Maybe I should build something around it. Like a low budget 100mph machine that doesn't run on 6S.

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Lol. Did you buy the small motor on purpose?
    For some very odd reason, I have a MMP on the shelf now, next to a Castle 1415 which was there already. Maybe I should build something around it. Like a low budget 100mph machine that doesn't run on 6S.
    I purchased it without looking at the size, its the lb2040, nicely packed though. Its package is almost like one of those premium liquor bottles, even for show I like it. Will see what kind of a 1/18 car or less I can build later on....

I will put my MMP 3800 on the slash 4x4 and put the new hobby wing wp sc8 on a 2wd pede with a 4500 Onyx motor
    Live life to the fullest