RC poster

New motors different?

I saw in another forum that there is a visual difference with the new motors from Traxxas. One person stated that they had less power. Perhaps they made them more durable by lowering the RPMs? Traxxas support told me my replacement set is in the mail and that they did listen to the customers, but did not offer any more info. Anybody know anything about this? Hopefully this whole motor thing will have a happy ending. Cheers,
    Jim

RC Qualifier
    Yes I would like to know too. There was a picture showing them side by side and they sure look different. Anyone from Traxxas care to comment?
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

Could some one post the pictures to see the difference?
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Once you get your replacement set show pictures side-by-side. Until proven, anyone can say anything. I just got a full set from Micro Motor Warehouse in the mail today but haven't compared them to the originals on the chopper. First impression: they didn't come with pinions and the wires are about 1/3 the length of stock. At least this was provided by the site: "Motor rotation and correct polarity is indicated by the wire color: clockwise: red +, blue - ; counter clockwise: white +, black -" so I don't have to guess what motor goes where.
    The Super Derecho

I just received a pack of 4 motors from Traxxas yesterday. After seeing this thread I opened them up and compared them to an original motor I had in my box. The holes in the motor can on the pinion end of the motor are gone on the new motors.

Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-02-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I just received a pack of 4 motors from Traxxas yesterday. After seeing this thread I opened them up and compared them to an original motor I had in my box. The holes in the motor can on the pinion end of the motor are gone on the new motors.
    Is the plastic on the end of the motors a different color too?
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

Quote Originally Posted by ryan93civic View Post
    Is the plastic on the end of the motors a different color too?
    Here is the bottom of the old and new motor...

BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the pics. Now start testing them for us. Fingers crossed.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

RC Racer
    It's interesting that the holes are gone. Some people have sealed up the holes with tape to keep debris out. Maybe they had it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    It's interesting that the holes are gone. Some people have sealed up the holes with tape to keep debris out. Maybe they had it right.
    I received a set of motors a little over a month ago from Traxxas that still had the holes in the top. I installed all four of them and wanted to give them a try since my flying skills with the Alias had improved and I was not crashing near as much and had learned not to do things that would stall the motors such as trying to launch it in grass that was too tall and I was better at killing the power when I was about to crash or do something that might stall the motors. These motors have been flown a lot and fairly hard by both myself and my son who is a much better pilot than I and much more capable of pushing the Alias to it's limits. So far the motors are doing just fine and show no signs of losing performance or having any issues. Only speaking to my own experience, I feel I caused the two motor failures I experienced. I wont be testing out these latest motors with no holes in the top of the can until I have a failure on the set that is in the Alias now.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    I received the four-pack of motors I ordered last week, and the new ones appear to be the same as in Dad's pictures. I only replaced the motor that had failed, rather than all four. It sure was nice to get my Alias back into flying condition.

I WAS figuring I'd finally be able to fly it outside now that the weather's warmed up. WRONG! It's warmer, but there's a steady rain here. I'll have to wait even longer to let the ground dry out once dry weather returns.

I only replaced the motor that had failed, rather than all four.
    This may be a very minor thing but I would suggest installing all 4 new motors. and saving your other 3 working motors has back up motors. This way all motors in the Alias are fresh and new and let's say "matched". By the time one of them fails the motors will be worn and hopefully in similar condition to the 3 used motors you saved as back up motors and hopefully closer to being matched.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Traxxas finally sent me some replacement motors (after 4 months of waiting). They look different looking but I have yet to try them. With all the motors they sent me I am sure I will get more flight time then I expected in the first place…So in my book they made good in a big way. Feels good to finally not have misgivings with this. Thanks a bunch traxxas you guys really came through in the end,
    Jim

RC poster
    After two days one motor went bad and Traxxas has it on order. Based upon what I am seeing posted that new motors appear to have less power, will I have a problem running three original motors and one "next generation" motor ? Thanks

RC Racer
    Maybe. But the quad is pretty smart and just takes what it needs from the motors to keep the gyro's happy etc. I would guess it might fly around just fine but be a little quirky on advanced acro. If you had four new, I'd use them. But otherwise, try what you have.

I have not tested the "new"motors yet but have to take the idea that they are less powerful with a grain of salt. I just dont see Traxxas putting a less powerful motor out there at least not one so much down on power as to cause any kind of issue.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Jim.....Let us know how the new motors hold up....Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Anyone had failures yet with these new motors? The snow is melting pretty fast here, and I'd really like to buy an Alias, but, having monitored this forum the past 4 months, the frequency of motor failure posts remains uncomfortably high. I'm hoping these new motors will be better, but so far I'm staying on the ground.

RC poster
    Bought my Alias two weeks ago. First motor went out after just a couple of flights. 3 more within just a few more flights. Called LaTrax. They are supposed to be sending out 4 new motors when they're not on back order, when ever that will be.

In the mean time, I've ordered 4 WL Toys V959 motors for $25.00 that are suppose to work great and last according to another forum discussion.

Very interested to know how the new LaTrax motors work too!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    This may be a very minor thing but I would suggest installing all 4 new motors. and saving your other 3 working motors has back up motors. This way all motors in the Alias are fresh and new and let's say "matched". By the time one of them fails the motors will be worn and hopefully in similar condition to the 3 used motors you saved as back up motors and hopefully closer to being matched.
    It turns out that you were right, Dad. One of the older motors failed after a few flights. I replaced it, and the other two. Now my Alias has all new motors.

RC poster
    New to the forum and the Alias bought one today and already having motor issues. YES I crashed a few times!! but expected it to take some abuse? just ordered 4 of the WL toys ones and going to call traxxas as well! kinda sucks though was hoping to get more than two flights out of 150.00 toy!

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    I have a new Alias. My motors have solid motor caps. The older motor caps had holes in the top and I believe the older motor cans had two holes in the bottom of the motor can. I would check your motors.

Out of my curiosity what are your motor issues, and have you checked the spur gears and drive shafts for damages, etc.?

These are the usual damage questions everyone asks.

Hope this works out for you and good luck.

RC poster
    no damage to spurs, even pulled the bad motor and swapped to a different plug and still would not spin. 3 of the motors seem to be acting up some will not spin till I get to full throttle. it does have the older motors. guess the shop I went to has old inventory! he is closed now and does not open till Tuesday!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by iifast4u View Post
    no damage to spurs, even pulled the bad motor and swapped to a different plug and still would not spin. 3 of the motors seem to be acting up some will not spin till I get to full throttle. it does have the older motors. guess the shop I went to has old inventory! he is closed now and does not open till Tuesday!
    the Alias is designed in a way that no motor will spin any faster than the slowest one. my guess is, that if you put in a new motor to replace the one you know is bad... the other three will be fine?
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    the Alias is designed in a way that no motor will spin any faster than the slowest one. my guess is, that if you put in a new motor to replace the one you know is bad... the other three will be fine?
    Yes and no. The faster motors aren't always held back. They are free to spin faster if that side of the quad is dipping or if the stick command is demanding power from that side. But in hover, the FC only requests what it needs from the motors, so mis-matched motors still work fine. People have even reported good flight results from 3 Traxxas motors and one V959 motor. If one motor goes to 100%, the others are just cut back to get the required balance to make the gyros and accels happy. I think that's how it all works. No guarantees.

RC Qualifier
    im not sure how it works in hover? mine wouldn't hold a hover when i finally had one go bad. I do know that when a weak motor sets in, the FC reduces the other three to match its rpm in order to bring it down level. I don't remember which Traxxas rep here explained this, but do know that when my original set finally lost a motor... the other three reduced their power as well and my Alias came down very level and actually at a very controlled speed and an easy landing. when it landed, the three that were fine would barely spin, but were spinning at about the same rpm as the bad one. I don't understand it all fully, but that is just what happened with mine. I wish I had popped a new motor in for that bad one, just to see, but at 59 flights, it wouldn't have been long before one of the others went as well and I opted for a complete new set. if this second set ever loses one, I will try that before I change them all out.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Racer
    I think if you have a good motor amongst bad ones, it will rev up to max if you do the hand-held 45 degree dip down test on that motor. The FC will think that corner needs more power and will ask for it. Conversely if you dip a bad motor and the FC asks for more revs, those revs may not be possible. Which makes it a good test to tell good from bad motors.

When the quad is falling from the sky because of a failing motor, that corner will start to dip due to lack of lift. The FC will ask for more power from the bad motor (but won't get it) and ask for less from the high side motors, keeping it more or less balanced. Hence the semi-controlled descent.

RC Competitor
    It might be easier to find a poorly functioning motor by deactivating self leveling. Then the FC will not try to balance out motors. With throttle up all motors will fire up to their "full" capacity (in theory). The quad will naturally drift or flip in the direction the failing/bad motor. This is SOP with the SYMA X1 when trying to figure out a poorly operating motor. It works for the 3 axis stabilized X1. I think that it might work for the Alias if self leveling is de-activated. Just a thought. I really do not know if this would work or not with an Alias. Just another (possibly new) way at looking at an old problem

RC poster
    I ordered 4 of the 959's I am brand new to the whole flying scene and quad flyers! I have had plenty of RC cars both electric and Nitro. I am good at building and repairing just about anything mechanical and electrical! We lost our home to a fire 3 months ago and I managed to save some of my sons guitars. They were covered in soot and smoke. I can not play but first I took the guitar apart, cleaned it put new pickups in it. Replaced the strings and let my son tune it. so to my point I have no worries about fixing it at all but I am worried about flying the dang thing! That's not so easy!

RC Competitor
    Sorry to hear about the fire. I truly hope that you had insurance. Flying takes some practice to do it competently, and as I found out recently each new model that I try to fly requires a new learning curve. The law of gravity requires it. It's the law. Good luck with everything.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
    Sorry to hear about the fire. I truly hope that you had insurance. Flying takes some practice to do it competently, and as I found out recently each new model that I try to fly requires a new learning curve. The law of gravity requires it. It's the law. Good luck with everything.
    THANKS... it's a long road for sure....

RC Competitor
    It does get easier with each practice session. I have not christened Alias #3 yet.

Good luck with everything.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iifast4u View Post
    THANKS... it's a long road for sure....
    I'm sure there are many threads on FMS. But this guy gives you a quick run through. Old but still worth a watch.

I've had a RC flight Sim for a long time and well worth the $20-$40.

Didn't mean to jack this thread...maybe start a new one if you have more questions.

Now back to "New motors different?"

Did we find any difference in new motors vs old?