Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Cool The New Updated Latrax Alias

I picked up the new latrax alias straight from a traxxas show. The improments are amazing the motors now got 4 holes and bigger brushes, with these new motors it can now lift 75grams!!! And a top speed of 35mph. I got to say traxxas did a good job on fixing the motor problem. And there is now a HD camera that plugs right in to the quad for 50 bucks. My other alias has 15 flights with the original traxxas motors, and now the new alias with the new motor I have 50flights and still going strong:-) , I just wanted to inform y'all,
    Happy flying:-D

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    Now I am really confused. How does one know how to distinguish the newest of the newest Alias model?

RC Enthusiast
    It will have 4holes on the top of the motor, and will have a purple addition shown on the box

Do you have any pictures for proof?
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Enthusiast
    I will take some when I get home

RC Qualifier
    You had 50 flights with no issues? Did tou do pack to pack or did you let the motors rest? Might get one but im afraid oll be another motor set thats burn in 20 flights. I dont know, im gonna wait a little more for more info

RC Enthusiast
    I gave the motors a 10 min rest per pack

RC Enthusiast
    I have to say that the newer motors make it more stable and aggressive. Traxxas did good

RC poster
    i call foul the new motors have no holes and what else needs changing trolling.........................
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-29-2014 at 09:26 AM.

RC poster
    ^ Yeah I agree , From my knowledge after purchasing a replacement motor from a Traxxas dealer , which has no holes in the can , unlike the 4 that came in the Snap-on edition Alias.

RC poster
    Please post pictures

RC Enthusiast
    I called traxxas and they said that the new motor have the 4holes on the top, and the brushes are bigger. (They had addressed the issue fix it) that's what the man said. And I will post pics soon

RC poster
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by forzamotorsport925 View Post
    I called traxxas and they said that the new motor have the 4holes on the top, and the brushes are bigger. (They had addressed the issue fix it) that's what the man said. And I will post pics soon
    Really? I was told the newer motors had the holes sealed up. I have received two sets of replacement motors from Traxxas the first set had the holes the second and presumed newer set had no holes. Either way the motors seem to be much less an issue that what was being reported when the Alias first came out.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Yes im having no problems and loving it

RC poster
    It will have 4holes on the top of the motor, and will have a purple addition shown on the box
    Just got off the phone with Traxxas and the gentleman I spoke with knew nothing about a new motor version, 75 grams lifting power, 35 mph, etc. He stated if they make a change it would be listed right on the website for everyone to see so I am very interested to see a picture to backup what you are describing. Also what do you mean by the purple addition will be shown on the box?

RC Enthusiast
    On the side of the box were the optional colors are the will be a purple one there. And yes there 4 holes, I will take pics when camera is charged.

On the side of the box were the optional colors are the will be a purple one there. And yes there 4 holes, I will take pics when camera is charged.
    Wait, there's a purple Alias?!?
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Enthusiast
    Mine is brand new, I went to the nhra and traxxas had a huge booth and that's were I got mine. Brand new and fresh from traxxas. Its better than my first. I talked to the guy and he said that the motor issue is fix, and he said the motors should last a long time. I have crashed the crap out of it so far because I learning xp2 mode but it works just fine. My other one works fine too but but not as good as the new one. And on my old one I'm using wltoy motors. But they suck on power compared to the newer traxxas ones.

They issued a purple and white alias on the side of the box??? But you can't buy it for some reason :-[
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-29-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Merged

RC poster
    Are you sure its purple or the Black Chrome ?

RC Enthusiast
    Let me check when I get home

RC Enthusiast
    How do you post a pic

RC poster
    Easiest way would probably be to use a site like imgur.com to upload the pictures to then just paste the links in a post here.

RC Enthusiast

This is a picture of one of the new motors that's in alias I will take pic of my alias soon
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-29-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Merged

@ forzamotorsport925 people asked to see pictures to bakc up your statement that there is a "new updated Alias". That picture looks like something you took directly from the Traxxas website and the motor looks identical to the original motors that came in the Alias. This is just going to lead to more skepticism about your statements.

It appears to me that Traxxas has addressed the early motor issues exactly what they did is not clear but motors are not failing near as often as when the Alias first came on the market. I see no evidence of a "new or updated" Alias. What I do see is more reliability in the Alias motors that are coming from Traxxas now. This is only my opinion.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    For the record as I posted in another thread here and at rcg the motor caps on the motors of the Alias that I bought last week are solid no holes

RC Enthusiast
    Yes and here is a website were the pay loads are listed too
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/quadcopter...out-2-payload/

The pic is off the internet, will take pic of mine when I can't home
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 04-29-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Merged

RC Competitor
    Very interesting and fair comparison of those 4 quads they reviewed in the "shootout". Their findings in the competition pretty much matched my subjective feelings from research of the different brands prior to my purchase of the Alias. What was interesting were the makes and models not reviewed and those not- and possibly not provided by the manufacturer for review for "reasons". If the Alias had that camera available for the competition it would have rated somewhat better. I was surprised that two of the competitors were tougher than the Alias in the "torture" test. I bet the accelerators got whacked out of calibration during the durability test as the reviewers noted "electronics glitches". Good stuff and good reading forzamotorsport925 and thank you for the link. I did not see any reference to new improved motors in this article nor a new improved Alias. It appeared to be the original.

For payload capacity and flight time duration the Alias blew the other quads away.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-29-2014 at 01:49 PM.

RC poster
    Yes and here is a website were the pay loads are listed too
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/quadcopter...out-2-payload/

The pic is off the internet, will take pic of mine when I can't home

The Shootout was done back in January, 4 months ago with the original Alias.

RC Enthusiast
    OK I gusses there really isn't power improvement

RC poster
    My personal thought is you purchased a brand new Alias directly from them which has a newer box than probably most have seen that most likely shows the optional White canopy along with the Black Chrome one which may look purplish. This box may also show the new camera and LED light bar attachments. I tried to get my LHS to order me a green Alias yesterday and Traxxas does not have any to ship out at the moment they said it will be about 2 weeks. My guess the reason for that is due to swapping boxes to feature the new accessories. As far as the motors go I agree with what Dad said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    It appears to me that Traxxas has addressed the early motor issues exactly what they did is not clear but motors are not failing near as often as when the Alias first came on the market. I see no evidence of a "new or updated" Alias. What I do see is more reliability in the Alias motors that are coming from Traxxas now. This is only my opinion.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Headrunner View Post
    I tried to get my LHS to order me a green Alias yesterday and Traxxas does not have any to ship out at the moment they said it will be about 2 weeks. My guess the reason for that is due to swapping boxes to feature the new accessories. As far as the motors go I agree with what Dad said.
    Interesting up here in Canada I had two different reliable sources (one from BC one, from Ontario) say the Alias is out of stock too and will be available early May. My first thought was for the motor upgrade. But now I'm thinking more on the "New Box Theory" LOL Time will tell. The one I did order should be here late this week...older stock I'm sure.

RC Qualifier
    still no photos???? that camera must charge really slow... or why dont you just do what everyone else does, use your phone
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    I am a bit confused? the original motors had two holes. the new motors have no holes. where on the internet did you find the pictured motor above with 4 holes? the actual link maybe? I agree... pics of the Alias, box, and motors would be very interesting to see.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Enthusiast
    You can buy the new motors on ebay here,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LaTRAX-6634-...item3a8e30461d

RC Qualifier
    towerhobbies site, the photo for the latrax motors shows 4 holes...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDZKY&P=ML
    Traxxas please sell kits!

My Alias came with the motors with 4 holes, first replacement set has 4 holes and the last set I received has no holes. What this all means is only speculation on our part but like I have said before and will say again the issues sure appear to have been addressed and the motors are far more reliable at this point.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    yep, my bad... four in the top and two in the bottom.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Enthusiast
    You can buy the new motors on ebay here,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LaTRAX-6634-...item3a8e30461d
    Funny that the Ebay page even has in RED font "We are an authorized TRAXXAS retailer.

This listing is for the new style motors that do not have holes in the motor housing under the pinion gear."

and yet the picture still shows the old motors with four holes...
    Maybe this has something to do with the confusion with new motor having or not having holes...

RC Enthusiast
    I tried to order new motors (Spares) from MicroMotor Warehouse last week before all this talk about new motors came about. Benedikt (the motor guy) said new motors with pinions are on back order too.
    Has anyone else purchased from him. Or better yet has anyone done a comparison on his vs the new ones from LaTrax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast