RC Enthusiast

Exclamation Nitro 4 tec upgrade question

I'm just wondering if you could up grade a traxxas pro .15 to a traxxas 3.3 using the 2.5 upgrade kit. Or there something else I would need to do:-)

RC Qualifier
    The 2.5 and 3.3 use the same carb, clutch & bell, and motor mount. The differences are on the inside. So yes, the 2.5 upgrade kit will work for the 3.3. One thing you will also need to get is a new exhaust for the 3.3. A lot of people swear by the THS pipe, but Traxxas Resonators have suited my needs just fine. I use a single chamber for small road courses and a duel chamber for speed runs and larger road courses. I haven't had my 4-tec very long, but I must say, this little car is amazingly fast with a 3.3 engine. The right tires and suspension set up for the track condition makes all the difference with the 4-tec. Well, I guess that's true with all cars. But the 4-tec can be an uncontrollable beast or a super fast racing machine. Depending on a small adjustment or the right tire.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot this really helped

RC Champion
    I haven't used mine in a long time until yesterday and I forgot how fast the car really is. Mine started out as a 2.5 which is a later version of the pro 15. the conversion was quite easy, but I also changed the gears, pulleys and belts to 3.3 spec. The rest of the car is the same. The Traxxas tuned pipe works fine, just stay away from the plastic resonator, its junk. I race mostly electric touring cars so it was a nice change to drive the old 4tec. My electrics are quicker and some of them or faster than the 3.3, but they don't have the sound that only a screaming nitro engine can make. My wife and kids where running some of my other electrics and they stopped and watched me tear up the track with the Nitro 4tec for a while. It was fun and reminded me why I keep it around.. With careful setup and a good set of fat foam tires, the car handles reasonably well.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3