RC poster

Smoked an ESC/newbie questions

Hello,

I recently acquired a used e-revo vxl for next to nothing but it needs some work and I am new to these trucks. I did have an axial crawler that i built a few years ago but not that into R/C stuff.... for now

So when I got it a few nights a ago the guy charged up a couple batteries (with the $100 venom pro charger that came with it ) and the truck rocks! Crazy fast and with the big 4" tires and tall grass is no problem. I get it home and run it around some more on a fresh charged LiPo (traxxas 3S 1300mah) with no problems. I'm reading through the manual about changing gearing for bigger wheels etc and running different batteries. I put another charged battery in it (same kind) and it drove for about 2 seconds before shutting off. When i walk over i can hear it hissing so I d/c the battery and by this time its already melted the outer plastic and the battery has swelled and the ESC is scorching hot. So I don gloves and put it in a salt water bath to dispose of later. I put another charged and balanced battery (this time 2S 2000mah traxxas). And the thing arcs when i connect it and the esc gets warm and i immediately d/c this one. So i guess I fried the ESC and two batteries. Now i'm looking at ordering some goodies along with a castle sidewinder 3. From what I can tell it has the extended a-arm kit. I also have the center diff kit new in a box but not installed yet.

What I'd like to know is what pinion and spur gearing i should be running for the dirthawgs and proline wheels and what batteries to get so I don't smoke any more parts. Since I'm going with the sidewinder 3 I want to run 2 x 2s LiPo (4s) in parallel for run time and series for fun time Also any suggestions on motor or suspension parts would be great. I've already been looking around on here and found some great information but really looking for some advice on going through this thing to make sure its set up.

Thanks
    Ryan

I would recommend spc batteries.

If you get a parallel connector the battery setup would still be considered to be 2s.

Get hot racing shock bodies and aluminum axle carriers. I have gpm.

The t bone 1 piece bumper will make your mini almost indestructable.
    Last edited by Jimdog; 04-28-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Also get a blue bird 390 servo. The stock one is known for having issues. Make sure to shim the diffs also.

RC poster
    So is 2S still enough for the bigger tires etc? Definitely looking at bumpers until i can learn to drive this thing. Should I install the center diff kit as well? I also noticed you can have two steering servos, is this worth it or needed?

2s will handle big tires.

The center diff will reduce stress on the drivetrain and reduce wheelies but it will slightly reduce off road abilities. For racing it is generally recommended. For bashing it isn't necessary unless you keep ruining the diffs. Shimming the diffs will reduce the need for a center diff. Large tires will put more stress on the drivetrain. If you drive conservatively this won't be an issue

Don't use 2 servos. They will fight each other and burn out. Just get one good servo like the bluebird 390.

RC Champion
    Do you have a infrared thermometer? If so you should. Big tires+3S = blown ESC/Motor. Normal Tires + 3S + Grass=blown motor/esc. Normal Tires + 2S + No Grass + proper gearing + monitoring temps =
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC poster
    Well no grass is not an option for me but I've already decided 2S for sure. And I do have an IR thermometer but didn't think to use it when the ESC fried. I pulled the motor and its been running 19/50 gearing on a single 3S 1300mah by the previous owner (who didn't use it much). From reading around here looks like I'll throw a 23t pinion on when I replace the ESC. Also getting a couple 2S 2200mah 20C batteries unless you guys have another recommendation. I'm hoping with the higher capacity of the Sidewinder that the stock motor will stay pretty cool, but I will be monitoring from now on