RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere

Transmitter Rate Settings

In keeping with my learn the quad and set up/tune the the transmitter today I discovered these stock rates:

mode | aileron-elevator | rudder
    ---------------------------------------------
    Normal | 60% | 30%
    Exp1 | 100% | 50%
    Exp2 | 70% | 60%

I did some research through the search engine in this forum and found the above data which I copied and tuned these settings a little more to my liking as I learn more about this quad's flight characteristics. I passed this along to to RCG's dedicated Alias thread which has been very quiet recently. I will reserve further comment

The Traxxas people did a good job.

Thank you everyone.

J

I have only felt the need to play wit the rudder setting. I have had it has high as 75 but now have it backed down to 55 so only a little above stock in Exp1 which is where I fly my Alias.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the feedback. I am being "aggressive" with normal in a sense- I can see that mode being used for my 808 cam at some point right now I am at 70%/60% rates (up from 70%/40%). E1 is at 100%/60% presently. I will go slower with rate tuning with that mode. It was windy enough on my second trial flight 12 -15 mph with gusts ~17 - 18 mph and probably higher when I ballooned upwards during my blowaways that I stayed away from the E2 rate setting. That was a E1 only flight day at the stock 100%/50% rate settings. Thinking about it now I probably could have fought the wind better with self leveling de-activated, but I was not thinking it through "in the moment". I have a year's flight experience with my SYMA X1's which are 3 axis stabilized with a programmable Tx so I am familiar with 3 axis flight. What I am not familiar with is the difference in performance between these two different quads. E2 flight should be interesting.

We'll see.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-29-2014 at 09:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I am being "aggressive" with normal in a sense- I can see that mode being used for my 808 cam at some point right now I am at 70%/60% rates (up from 70%/40%). E1 is at 100%/60% presently. I will go slower with rate tuning with that mode. It was windy enough on my second trial flight 12 -15 mph with gusts ~17 - 18 mph and probably higher when I ballooned upwards during my blowaways that I stayed away from the E2 rate setting. That was a E1 only flight day at the stock 100%/50% rate settings. Thinking about it now I probably could have fought the wind better with self leveling de-activated, but I was not thinking it through "in the moment". I have a year's flight experience with my SYMA X1's which are 3 axis stabilized with a programmable Tx so I am familiar with 3 axis flight. What I am not familiar with is the difference in performance between these two different quads. E2 flight should be interesting.

We'll see.
    once you get going with exp2 mode, you will be surprised with flying in wind. you are correct in that flying in wind is easier with the self leveling mode out of the picture. my experience was that in higher winds, I needed more forward tilt then the self leveling allowed, in order to manage the higher winds. exp2 mode was much easier to maintain forward flight and I have flown mine in winds well above 20mph . I learned exp2 with fairly aggressive settings, but figured I needed to end up there anyway, so i just did it from the start to get it over with. at 90 on the ail/elev, and 80 on the rudder... it felt really comfortable, very touchy, but comfortable comparatively to the other helis I fly. I don't even notice it now, but that is just me .

everyone is different, and you will find what works best for you .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the feedback- spoonerrw. Axis 3 stabilization really boils down to more owner/operator focus and almost constant transmitter stick inputs. At least that Tx will not shut off.

My programmed rates on my Tx for my X1's is tuned pretty "hot". I forget what they are presently, but it is relative anyways. The X1's can not handle much wind; >5mph and control becomes a challenge anyways, so there really is no comparison. Due to my home base location (MA Berkshire Hills at 1400') there is almost always some breeze. This Alias will definitely expand my flying window opportunities which means that I will have to purchase another Alias . There are "reasons" that I have 4 X1's

And I will find what works for me. Hopefully not the hard and expensive way.

Time will tell.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-30-2014 at 05:48 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I have flown mine in winds well above 20mph
    The alias is amazing flying in wind I have flown mine 30+ mph wind the alias is amazing in wind not a problem:-)

RC Competitor
    I will be testing wind worthiness I am sure as I move through my getting to learn more about this quad and fine tune the rates to my liking. Flight #3 was in similar conditions as Flight #2. Current rates: I briefly flew in normal setting at 70%/60%. E1 at 100%/60%- I like these rates at this time. E2 the stock rates 70%/60%- quickly resulted in two decent less than effective quad interactions with (#1) Palmetto Palm and (#2) light lamp post with both resultant "soft" landings in sand/silt without damage. The E2 stock settings were too responsive and sensitive for me presently under the conditions that I was flying. In calm to no winds it may have been different. I am glad that my "new" motors have no holes in that top cap. Those motors would have been toast with the silt intrusion. Spur gears cleaned up well with the wind blowing every thing off the drive train and everything spinning freely in the wind. Returned to flying on E1 for the remainder of the battery charge without incident. Before I return to E2 flight I will de-tune/tame down those E2 rate settings somewhat. No big deal, no real issues. It's all part of the learning curve for me with this quad. I am glad I did not stick that quad in the palm tree. I never would have recovered it. I learned from this and what I learned will make me a better pilot.

I am waiting to finally get home to my own personal airfield and hangar with all my RC stuff and my anemometers so I can really study this little unit.

I am looking forward to Flight #4.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 04-30-2014 at 10:47 AM.

RC poster
    i sure hope traxxas comes out with an alias looking 250 sized brushless quad that would be great lights everything.....