RC Qualifier

black chrome main frame...

I cant seem to find any information about this new frame? is this frame a standard frame with some chrome decals on it, or is it an upgraded material? it looks like it is black with some chrome accents on it, but the few pictures I have found really don't show it very well and the few suppliers that list it don't give any details as to what separates it from the stock frame other than it is about twice the cost.
    thanks
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    Its an upgrade which you can buy apart from the kit. Just like the camera.
    Try Ebay i saw this body and canopy for sale there.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogers View Post
    Its an upgrade which you can buy apart from the kit. Just like the camera.
    Try Ebay i saw this body and canopy for sale there.
    thank you Rogers... I have seen it in a few places but am curious as to what sets it apart from the stock frame? for twice the cost of the stock frame, I am wondering if it is better material like carbon fiber or something, or just because it is a little fancier than the stock frame?

RC Racer
    From what I've read Black Chrome is a metal sputtering process that wouldn't be applicable to plastics. They use it a lot on aftermarket aluminum wheels. So I don't know what the Traxxas part is, but I know I wouldn't be the first to try it.

You be sure to let us know what you get for twice the price. I know you're going to buy it.

I cant say for sure but my thought is it is just a finish applied for looks just like on the Black Chrome rims Traxxas offers for their trucks.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    From what I've read Black Chrome is a metal sputtering process that wouldn't be applicable to plastics. They use it a lot on aftermarket aluminum wheels. So I don't know what the Traxxas part is, but I know I wouldn't be the first to try it.

You be sure to let us know what you get for twice the price. I know you're going to buy it.
    Many Traxxas plastic wheels have a black chrome finish.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    thanks fella's

you never know with me Jeremy, lol. with the light bar I pre-ordered, and a chrome finish... my red one might look kinda cool at night with the reflection that would take place from all the lights... I'm considering it, I cant deny it .

RC poster
    I purchased a Snap-on edition Alias which has the black chrome frame , black and red canopy and props.

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    I have a question for you old timers here. I keep reading post entries referencing the "Snap-On" edition Alias. What is that edition?

Never mind- I googled and found the answer.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 05-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
    I have a question for you old timers here. I keep reading post entries referencing the "Snap-On" edition Alias. What is that edition?

Never mind- I googled and found the answer.
    It is a Red Alias with a Snap On sticker on the canopy instead of the "Alias" sticker. It also has the Black Chrome frame and came with two batteries and a dual port charger instead of one battery and a single port charger like the standard Alias. They were sold only by Snap On dealers I believe.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    I did a super high speed eyeball skim through my brief google search, but I thought I saw a reference to a $250 price tag as well

I do like Snap On tools though. IMHO some of the best automotive tools around. Or at least they used to be; I have not been in the tool purchase mode for quite awhile now. RC stuff is where I empty my pockets and wallet nowadays. I would like to try to drain the bank accounts too but I am married and would like to stay that way.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    It is a Red Alias with a Snap On sticker on the canopy instead of the "Alias" sticker. It also has the Black Chrome frame and came with two batteries and a dual port charger instead of one battery and a single port charger like the standard Alias. They were sold only by Snap On dealers I believe.
    Hes right I purchased mine through snap-on couldnt resist . 2 Batteries , dual port charger , set of extra props. And the fact that it was a Traxxis product sold me. Been thinking about buying another one.

RC poster
    these new frames are 10 bucks at mark twain hobby center all day long....every alias parts there are half the price everywhere else....check it out Ben

RC Qualifier
    thanks Ben, I saw that earlier today. they are great people to deal with . I am debating some options as I really have my heart set on a yellow version with the frame being a transitioned yellow to black. just gonna take a step back, figure out how I want it to look, then maybe contact the guy who custom painted my yellow Super Bee to see what kind of cost is involved, then decide if it is something I want to do .

RC Qualifier
    ok Jeremy... you were right... I bought it and it came today! I don't know how to describe this one, and a pic isn't going to help at all. it really is "black chrome" in the truest sense. at some angles, it looks glossy black, at another it looks chrome, another it looks like glossy black with chrome accents. it is quite beautiful and I cant wait to get my red Alias switched over to it.

I really wish Traxxas would come out with a yellow canopy, blades, and light tubes. this is one frame where that color scheme would look to beautiful to believe. I tried the rit dye method on a clear set of light tubes, but after 20 minutes in the solution... no go... still clear . I didn't even bother with trying the white blades and no point in painting the canopy without the other two.

either way... I definitely recommend this black chrome frame! you really just have to have it in your hands to appreciate the beauty of it .

Tamiya makes a translucent paint for Lexan and I am pretty sure it comes in Yellow and would bet it would turn those clear lens yellow for you. Probably could also use it on the White blades to make them yellow as well.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Tamiya makes a translucent paint for Lexan and I am pretty sure it comes in Yellow and would bet it would turn those clear lens yellow for you. Probably could also use it on the White blades to make them yellow as well.
    I will check that out... thanks

yep, they sure do and found them on the bay. i'll give it a try, thanks!
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 05-20-2014 at 12:29 AM.

RC Qualifier
    just finished the conversion to the black chrome main frame, just have to reset the accelerometers. words cant describe how awesome this red Alias looks now! I really recommend this frame!

wont be able to fly it today, and a picture really wont do it justice, but I will get a pic outside in the sun light and post it soon anyway... I am VERY happy with this .

RC Qualifier
    ok, so here it is in video. the video shows its beauty better than a pic would. this black chrome frame is really cool... I love it!

yes, the LED's are green now. I colored them with a green sharpie hoping that it would reduce the glare in forward flight at night, but it is still really bright. it is awesome in the day and at dusk, but at night I will use it as a landing light, turn it on before I land, as well as "search and rescue" if I ever have the need

RC poster
    I won my Alias in a drawing through my local Snap-on dealer.

It seems to have the black chrome frame.

RC poster
    Could you please place a pic of the Alias whit the new frame? Really want to see it in real life thx

RC Qualifier
    I put a video of it in flight above, and did some close up hovering. it should give you a pretty good idea, but you really cant appreciate just how awesome it looks without seeing it up close and in person
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 06-10-2014 at 09:58 AM.

RC Competitor
    So to clarify, did someone say it could only be gotten from snap-on? And nice flying on the video but my old eyes couldn't make much chrome.

RC poster
    you can get the frame on ebay for about 10-14$.