RC poster

someone suggested I start a new thread , motor issues on day 1 of my Alias

I flew the alias 3 times. I crashed a few and then one motor stopped working. the motors have the 4 holes in them! I tried plugging the (dead motor) into another red plug and it still did not work. I am trying the accelerometer (sp?) reset right now. My Alias does have the green body not sure if it's an older or newer model? but not sure that maters. I did order four 959 motors off ebay but have not received them yet. I also called tech support motors are not covered but they are sending me 1 as soon as they have them in stock in a week or two they said!!

Shawn

RC Enthusiast
    I have gone through this and I have new motors that have now had many flights. I have 2 v959 motors that I soldered to the alias connectors and they work good still with 2 factory motors. I have been getting factory motors now, so I will use those (newer type, No holes on top). Don't give up.

-Tom
    ------
    Alias w/ camera, 1/16 Summit, Stampede.

RC Racer
    Shawn, your story is pretty typical. Rarely new motors have had early failure just because. But all motors are subject to immediate failure if the props are power-stalled in a crash -- even for just a second or two. That's the reason that Traxxas says motors are not covered under warranty...pilot error. But they cover them anyway, somewhat. I think replacement motor cost is unreasonable and ordering the V959 motors (1/3 the cost) is a good way to go. Just keep ahead in spares, because overseas shipping moves at it's own pace. And when you need them the most, they'll be out of stock.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    But all motors are subject to immediate failure if the props are power-stalled in a crash -- even for just a second or two.
    If you remember just one thing from all that you read on here. Pick that one. Cut your power before you crash.

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
    If you remember just one thing from all that you read on here. Pick that one. Cut your power before you crash.
    I agree- My thumbs may get dumb sometimes, but they are always quick on the throttle kill when a crash is eminent. I have seen a lot off posters elsewhere posting about attempting to "prop walk" their quads out of branches. Even if it works it puts a' hurtin' on those motors. Those motors won't last long.

RC Racer
    Welcome to the club? There is about 100+ threads on this subject. Most including mine are removed as soon as the moderator sees them. I fought with traxxas tech support for days, they finally honored their warranty and sent out 4 motors for my 2 dead motors. It's disgusting to say the least that a company as big as traxxas jerks around their loyal customers when its a known issue/defect that everyone is experiencing. Since I didn't want down time I went and bought a set of motors from my lhs, they have yet to fail with 50+ flights and many crashes....the 1st failed within 3 flights no crashes just like everyone else. I would fight to get a set of motors otherwise when you change that one motor your others will fail, trust me I know. Good luck.

RC poster
    I have flown my Alias 40 times with out incident and it has worked perfectly. Mine is a Snap-on version I have flown helicopters since the early 90's. I have a DJI Phantom that I have been flying for a year with camera set up. Anyways since having it a month a had the typical motor failure that plague this good flying quad. I got that last flight on time lapse photography.
    You can see it going off into the cabbage at the right of the picture. Left rear motor failed.