RC Enthusiast

Maximum range on this little puppy

I strapped my 808#16 mini cam onto the back of my Alias and headed to the park today in between rain storms, not a nice day at all, but it`s not over yet.
    A little windy, lots of fun, and I went through two batteries filming everything...so I thought...(note to self 'make sure to remove small lens cap protector before flight')
    Anyway once my packs are recharged I`ll head back if it`s not raining again.

While gaining as much height as possible (Approx 300-500ft total guess) heading into the wind I lost the signal a few times. When it plunged back almost on the ground I could regain control again after rearming transmitter.
    Has this happen to anyone else? Maybe I`ll talk one of my kids into helping me with a range test...

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    HD- I had a similar situation, and yes my Alias dropped into a pond of water that I had not scoped out prior to my flying in a new location. That was Alias #1, still swimming with the fishes. I was more horizontally distant than vertical as I caught some unexpected wind gusts while flying a circuit getting a feel for the quad flying in wind and getting an idea of how it appeared at distance. I probably unintentionally disarmed the quad during killing the throttle when I saw what was happening. One of the salespeople at the LHS where I have purchased my Aliases reported a similar experience with his. The Tx gives a warning beep and down the quad goes according to that salesperson. I forget what the manual says about the Tx beeping business with signal loss,but when it loses radio signal it's supposed to do a "controlled landing" whatever that means.

You are pretty quick with that thumb action . My thumbs were challenged during my particular and unfortunate episode. Thankfully they smartened up quickly afterwards and I stay away from that pond just in case.

JB
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 05-10-2014 at 05:38 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Made a couple more flights today at the school field. First was lots of fun in the wind. Once the thunder heads moved through the weather was Ok.
    A little better on the range this time gained more altitude before I lost control. All in all not a bad day.

808#16 with wide angle lens taped on top for now.

LaTrax Alias First Flights
    Last edited by HuskyDude; 05-11-2014 at 01:47 AM.

RC Competitor

Maximum range on this little puppy

HD- Nice video, nice looking kids too. Unless you've been dieting you're not that "husky", you're not even "heavy boned".

I really like the 808 keychain camera. One gets a lot of performance for the price. Not a lot of jello effect in your video either. How did you mount the 808?

Beautiful area that you live in too.

Thanks for sharing.

JB
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-11-2014 at 08:11 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thx J,
    For now I just stuck the camera on top of the canopy with the Velcro that came with the camera. Just to see if it would work. I plan on mounting it underneath some how with some type of anti vibration mount...still thinking on that, also in will be a better picture without the props. The wide angle lens helps with the amount of jitteriness of the picture too.
    I'm Ok with the video. I have to keep in mind this is a very small quad and is not as stable as a DJI platform. (which is my goal)
    Oh those aren't my kids. Just two kids that were walking by... LOL... I have two girls 15 and 20. And as far as my name...I`ve been using that on most other forum too. I used to compete with Husqvarna motorcycles.

RC Competitor
    A couple of materials that people have liked for vibration suppression with decent results include- earplugs, moon gel, and that therapeutic/posturpeutic mattress foam. I have used the earplugs with rubber a band paired with heavy duty industrial strength velcro with good results with my 808 #16 B lens and my mini sized quads.. Some people really like that velcro-like tape/strap with those mushroom shaped connectors. I have not tried the moon gel material- its an acoustical suppression material for drums and musical instruments, but I believe it is pretty expensive. It seems like soft rubber. I have not tried the mattress foam material yet either. Balanced props are probably the key to anti-vibration measures. You did a really good job for a first time video.

I am waiting for spoonerw to get his dedicated Alias video cam and see how that works. That should be interesting. Especially when it's paired with the light bar.

RC Enthusiast
    Can you mount the camera AND lightbar on the Alias together? I haven't gotten mine yet so I don't know how they mount but they both look like they mount in the same place on the quad. Wasn't sure if you could put both on at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtwizzler97 View Post
    Can you mount the camera AND lightbar on the Alias together? I haven't gotten mine yet so I don't know how they mount but they both look like they mount in the same place on the quad. Wasn't sure if you could put both on at the same time.
    They mount to the same connector on the fcb with the same screws so you cannot run them both. You also don't have enough channels to control them all unless some channels are pulling double duty.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =