RC Racer

Stampede trail truck project

I am going to build a trail truck out of my stampede 4x4 and here is what I have ordered so far let me know what else is out there to make this thing indestructible.
    Traxxas aluminum motor mount
    Traxxas aluminum motor plate
    Xo1 style diffs front and rear with 100k fluid
    Rpm a arms front and rear
    Rpm caster blocks
    Rpm bearing carriers
    Rpm shock towers front and rear
    MMP
    Novak 550 ballistic 5.5
    Mip x duty rear drive shafts
    Big bore shocks
    Spc 2s lipos
    Robinson racing gen3 slipper kit
    Proline f11 protrac beadlocks
    Proline tsl super swampers
    Proline 1980 chevy blazer body
    Proline body mounts

RC Qualifier
    Bearing adapter if you don't have it already unless that shooter kit comes with something different I'm bit familiar with it

RC Qualifier
    Rr slipper kit comes with a metal bearing adapter. I would recommend the rr hardened pinions also. I chewed up a lot of my traxxas pinions using the metal spur.

RC Racer
    I have a robinson racing xtra hard pinion on the way also I forgot to put that in

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a cool build. Post some pics when it's done.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Nrustler you got me thinkin what my blazer body would look like on my p4de. This body is for my bigger trucks but looks pretty good on it. Might have to figure out how to mount it. I think tire rub will be an issue. Wheels and tires are 2.2 rpm revolvers with super swampers.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    Tekno big bone center shaft to handle all the power.

RC Racer
    The tires I got are shorter than the swampers in the picture I ordered the new short course proline swampers 2.2/3.0 and with the protrac wheels and stock width rpm arms the tires shouldnt rub but if they do I will just cut the wheel wells bigger and make some fender flares.

RC Racer
    I believed that the Proline f11 protrac beadlocks will not fit on the front of the Stampede 4x4, but the 2.2 rpm revolvers will.

I don't think the big bore shocks offer much of an upgrade over the stockers. You'll want to go with something else. I usually recommend the Losi Ten-T shocks.

What gearing are you planning to run? I assume this is going to be a crawler?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    The protrac wheels will fit but they will rub on the rock guards only when turned all the way so you can either limit the servo travel or just take the guards off. I will be running a 13/54 gearing so I still have some speed but with the sensored motor I will still be able to crawl a little

RC Racer
    Hey roscoe for mounting the body I used proline extended body mounts for a slash 4x4 they work perfect and get rid of the need for body pins

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the tip, ill look into those. Those protrac beadlocks look real good, gonna put those on my wish list. Lookin forward to seeing the blazer body with those wheels and tires. Please post a pic when you get it together.
    Last edited by roscoeP; 05-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.

RC Racer
    More parts should be showing up today and tomorrow so im hoping to have it put together sonn I will post pics when its done

RC Racer
    Well most of my parts showed up today and I got them installed the only thing im waiting on is the ring and pinion for the front diff.
    Here is what I ended up with for parts
    Castle mamba max pro
    Castle 1410 3800
    Spc 2s 50c 5000mah
    Proline beadlocks with proline super awampers
    Teckno big bone center drive shaft
    Traxxas aluminum motor mount
    Traxxas motor plate
    RR gen3 slipper clutch and 13t pinion
    Xo1 diffs front and rear
    Traxxas steel drive shafts front and mip xduty rear
    Rpm shock towers, caster blocks, a arms, and bearing carriers

RC Racer
    I did have to trim some of the fenders off to make a little more room for the tires so they dont rub on hard braking

RC poster
    Nice truck, am really liking that body.

RC Qualifier
    Lookin good nrustler. Beadlocks look tough. Love the scale look. Not alot of guys on here goin for that look. Whats the outside diameter on those swampers? Mine are a little more than 5". Just wondering if theyre the same. How's that castle setup for slow speed? My velineon cogs like crazy at low speed.

RC Racer
    The tires are 4.3" od and the castle does cog at low speeds the only reason I have it in the truck is I am having problems with my MMP running my novak motor I think the sensor port on the MMP is bad so im looking into a better esc for running a sensored motor.

RC Qualifier
    Im thinkin my powerplant upgrade will be sensored. I have heard of a sensorless not having much if any cog but cant remember which it was. Might have been one i was looking into for summit. Would be nice to do a little crawling with the pede. Im open to suggestions on sensored setups or sensorless that doesn't cog. Are there disadvantages to sensored?

RC Racer
    I have run my novak 550 ballistic with my MMP before and I loved it I was able to do a little crawling and still go fast I have been looking at the novak crusher esc it automatically adjusts to your driving style. I have not found a sensorless motor that doesnt cog at low speeds. The only bad thing about a sensored set up that I have noticed is they are pretty sensitive to water but I think an outwear will help alot with the moisture.

RC Qualifier
    I dont run in water so that's not an issue. Do you know if this motor would work with the stock esc? My link to ebay is not working, cant figure it out. If you search 3g2p 13.5t 2500kv HL540-3650 on ebay you can see.
    Last edited by roscoeP; 05-16-2014 at 09:11 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Sweat ride love it

RC Qualifier
    This link should work for that motor. I dont think it would work with stock esc because stock esc is sensorless. Am i right? Can't beat the price though.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3G2P-13-5T-2...item4866ade921
    Last edited by roscoeP; 05-17-2014 at 05:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas esc will run it just not very well being that it's sensorless

RC Enthusiast
    If you pick up the HPI wheely king gear reduction unit, it'll all but eliminate cogging and give you huge amounts of torque. Top speed ends up being a slow jog, so it also kind of kills bashing and jumping, but makes for a great trail truck if you don't want to shell out for a sensored motor.

Sent from my SHV-E330K using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I have a gear reduction drive for another crawler project that I thought about trying in the stampede but the suspension on a pede is just not crawler material. Thats why a set mine up as a trail truck it can crawl a little and it handles going fast really well im loving the way I have it setup. Roscoe if your looking to do any upgrades to a stampede the first thing I would do is het rid of the stock esc. I love my mamba max pros I have quite a few of them now and when used with the stock motor its an awesome combo. Upgrading the esc will help with motor temps alot and cogging.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the advice nrustler. I am going to upgrade esc and motor too. Im making settlement on my new house this coming Thursday so thats gonna take a backseat for a couple of weeks. My summit definitely fulfills my crawling needs but i would like my p4de to be able to crawl a little too. I appreciate your advice on powerplant upgrades and will definitely check out the options youve suggested. Exploring all my different options at this point. So many.... im a little overwhelmed.

RC Racer
    If you want to do a little crawling I would highly suggest a sensored set up. I figured out what was goingnon with my MMP and the novak ballistic 550 and got them working perfectly. I have it geared 13/54 right now and it has an abundance of torque way more than the castle 1410 3800kv. It has low speed drivability like a brushed motor and the massive amount of torque and speed of a brushless motor. After a long hard run in the tall grass the motor was at a whooping 97 degrees and the esc was at 90. I might up my pinion to a 14 or 15 tooth setup for only 2s lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Ok just put the mmp and novak motor on my ebay watch list. The way you are describing that combo sounds like its perfect for me. Capable of doing anything. I would like to do some crawling, got an area in the woods at the new place thats gonna become a crawler course. But i definitely want the blazing fast top speed that my velineon on 3s gives me now. That combo sounds like the hot setup that runs cool.

RC Racer
    You you want to run 3s lipos I would look at the novak 550 6.5 turn or even the 7.5 turn. The 6.5 is 3400kv and the 7.5 is 3000kv. The 5.5 turn that I am using is a 3700kv and you can run it on 3s lipos but it will getnwarm if not geared correctly but it is perfect for 2s lipos with the stampede 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, im watching the 6.5 and 7.5 turn motors. Im looking at castle, novak and tekin and doing some research on all 3. I think all 3 are quality components, i just have to figure out which is best for me. Probably leaning more towards tekin and novak at this point. I remember those names from back in the early nineties, they gotta be doin something right.

What a sick build dude I am running a sensored system and it rocks........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Spennie, yer back. You told me once the motor esc setup you are running but i cant remember, can you refresh my memory. Im looking into upgrading and considering options. Also how long have you been running your current setup? Is it good for slow running being its sensored?

Oh yeah I am back dude the esc is the hobbywing pro sct 120a 2-4s and the motor is the tenshock sc411 3500kv 4 pole which is smooth as butter and can go super slow with no cogginghope all is good with you dude......peace

RC Qualifier
    Im gonna look into that esc and motor too, thanks for the info. Your move went well? All settled in? My wife and I make settlement Thursday, we are so excited! So yea all is good.

Yeah the move went well but stressful as we all know LOL I have had that setup now for almost two years and it's one of the best upgrades so far to my little monster truck apart from my x duty mips and I am happy for you and your wife bro......peace

RC Qualifier
    Just stumbled on this thread. Pretty cool ride man! Totally digging the body and wheels. Gonna bookmark this.

Yeah the diversity of the builds on this forum are sickkeep them coming guy's......peace