RC Qualifier

LED light bar question...

it has arrived!!! no video yet, just got it and it is 1am, but... soon .

the instructions were basically a few words and a few drawings, nothing really detailed, but it was also plug and play. this thing is BRIGHT!!! it is blinding actually and should look quite awesome with night flying. there is no way you can miss this things orientation at night... it is that bright!

now the question and I am hoping that a Traxxas employee can answer this...
    it appears that once the light bar is plugged in, the aux2 button, which previously turned the arm lights on and off, now only turn the light bar on and off leaving the arm lights turned on all the time. is there a way to set up the light programming so that all of them can be turned off, just the arm lights, just the LED bar, ect, or is this just the way is was programmed... on/off control of the LED light Bar only?

I am pretty excited about this light bar and cant wait to get it out for a night flight .

thanks
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

Traxxas Employee
    With the light bar plugged in, you should be able to reprogram the AUX buttons like you normally would. For example, you can set the other button for L1 (leg lights on-off)or L2 (leg lights tilt-on-off.

This video shows how to program the buttons for x3 and x5 flips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLkLhwfMhTA

It is the same procedure just keep pressing aux button until the LCD says L1 or L2. (Sadly, I don't have a light bar yet to try this out).

RC Racer
    So the angle adjustment on it. Is it limited to straight forward to straight down? Or can it be pointed rearward if desired? I'm wondering if I can use it for nose-out orientation during daylite. I sometimes let the distance get out of control. Wind, sun, etc.

The bar can be oriented from straight forward to straight down, approx. 90* of angle. It will not point rearward.

You can set any of the buttons to do any function. Typically though if you're flying at night you want the 'leg' lights on all the time and be able to turn off the light bar when you're going to be looking into the LEDs. It is way too bright to look directly at the LEDs.

RC Qualifier
    thanks TS for the quick reply... I appreciate that . the logic behind that makes perfect sense and I figured that was the reason it was programmed the way it is. during day time flying I sometimes will turn off the lights to save on battery depending on what the temperature is but no big deal... I mainly fly this one at night now anyway and it is going to look so awesome at night!

I suppose you could re-program the other button zengerg, but then you would lose either your auto stunt option, or in my case... the emergency recovery option since I only fly in expert. it is an option though . I will just stick to its programming as is and go from there. my main goal now is to get it in the air in the dark and give this little gem a good work out .

thanks again fella's... much appreciated!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    The bar can be oriented from straight forward to straight down, approx. 90* of angle. It will not point rearward.
    Well then, that's the excuse I need to get comfortable with nose-in recovery. It's about time I got away from all this nose-out stuff anyway. Hopefully these are bright enough to be seen in daylite from 500ft. I don't intend to fly that far out, but it's happened a few times. And the only problem with getting it back is being sure of the orientation. If I can't be sure, I just land it, take a bearing...and a hike. Kinda like golf -- that's where I get my exercise.

RC Competitor
    Cummington, MA. 25 miles everywhere from nowhere
    "….. Kinda like golf…."

Jeremy1- Just make sure of your waterways.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
    "….. Kinda like golf…."

Jeremy1- Just make sure of your waterways.
    You would know.

I live in the desert. Biggest pools are lizard vomit.

RC Competitor
    It was an expensive lesson that day. I apparently learned a few things from that unfortunate experience. When I finally get home I only have lots of heavy forest and St Bernard plops to worry about, but I definitely know the "fairway". I am waiting to see how this light bar works so I too can light up the night. There are no other lights around my property other than celestial bodies' illumination over my airfield.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 05-13-2014 at 03:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    well... it is late here, a thunder storm is trying to work its way in, but perfectly calm out. I got a battery charging and if I can get out before the storm sets in... gonna try and test this light bar out. will do a video if it works out .

RC Competitor
    Spoonerrw- Good luck. I am looking forward to that video.

RC Qualifier
    I was in a hurry to beat the storm, just a few minutes before getting caught in a light rain, but this will give you an idea of how bright these LED's are...

they are blinding at close up and I lost it a couple of times from losing orientation because of that but at distance and higher up... they are great! just don't point them straight at you when it is close or you will temporarily lose your night vision, lol.
    they are going to take some getting use to, but I am very happy with them .

RC Competitor
    Nice video spoonerrw. Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see how the light bar affects the flight times due to battery drain. In my mind the trade off will be worth it, and further down the road even with additional battery drain from the dedicated video cam or due to the added weight of an 808 keychain camera it will be worth it.

JB

RC Racer
    Got mine test flown too. Yes you can see it in bright daylite at a distance too far for normal orientation. I like it.

RC Competitor
    I will be getting my LED light bar before I do any more range tests and all future "tests" will be over well known land surface (this time).

I will be interested in seeing the results of video with this light bar paired with the Alias dedicated video cam, or any 808 for that matter.

What's the weight of these units?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
    I will be getting my LED light bar before I do any more range tests and all future "tests" will be over well known land surface (this time).

I will be interested in seeing the results of video with this light bar paired with the Alias dedicated video cam, or any 808 for that matter.

What's the weight of these units?
    the way these are designed... you can use one or the other. there is only the one plug for accessories. besides, with as bright as this LED bar is... it would bleach out any cam, lol.
    it is raining, but the next few tests will be in the day light so that I can verify what flight times I get with it on and running .

RC Competitor
    Thanks for that information spoonerrw. Maybe if there is ever a new and improved Alias version II there will be included in the new version two plugs for both.

You do not have to rush any "research" on my account.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Jeremy I have an 808 #16 B lens that I have successfully coupled to my X1's and with which I have made and posted some fairly decent videos. I will be setting up a detachable bottom mount arrangement on one of my Aliases. It will have to be different from the set up design that I use for my X1's due to the ground clearance, but a variant on the zip tie landing gear strut idea for ground clearance plus some attachment variations and things "should" work. My ideas will have to wait for a couple of weeks though due to personal matters. You'll all know when I do, I have no problems sharing my successes as well as my learning experiences

This thread has been cleaned up some. Guys let's keep the discussions on topic and please leave mention of what you might have done with other brands of aircraft out of the discussion here, this is after all the Traxxas/LaTrax forum and discussions of other brands of RC vehicles really dont belong here.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    The light bar weights 7 grams.

Can you show us a pic of the light bar? What size is it without the mount?
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Can you show us a pic of the light bar? What size is it without the mount?

Just a quick search and there are lots of pictures and info out there...

Latrax Traxxas Alias LED Light Bar

New Accessories for LaTrax Alias - Camera and LED Light Bar

LaTrax Accessories
    Last edited by HuskyDude; 05-15-2014 at 07:53 PM.

RC Competitor
    I read my first report of a 5 minute flight time reduction compared to this particular poster's usual (non reported) flight times while flying with his new light bar illuminated.

This seems to be a reasonable trade off considering the increased battery drain due to the increased lighting.
    Last edited by jbrumberg; 05-15-2014 at 08:49 PM.

7 LEDs in parallel is around 140mA for normal LEDs... That's about 1/5th of the battery capacity... So, expect to have 1/5th of time less of flight...

About the pics, I don't like CAD or "magazine" pics, I like to see the real thing...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    just a heads up... it was learned that when you plug in the light bar, and power up, the light bar while operated by the aux 2 button, also changes the programming of the aux1 button. I didn't notice this myself because I do not fly in the first two modes, but when I read what was found, I checked, and sure enough... it took the programming out of its default stunt mode of F1 and changed it to A1 which disabled the auto stunts. just check your programming before you plug it in, then check it after and change it back to what ever you had it set for. mine worked fine after setting it back. if you switch back and forth between the light bar and camera... you may have to keep an eye on the programming for any changes. the micro instruction sheet didn't mention this, so not sure if this is an intended action, or an unknown inadvertent one?

RC Racer
    I noticed the same thing.

Rally rim should be an easy size judgement.

Here it is in peaces. They used 3mm leds, I don't think it quite matches the blinding intensity of the blue 5mm on the back.

RC Qualifier
    so, for those of you wondering how they really look in flight...
    night...

these lights are VERY bright! I actually had trouble with orientation because they are so bright that they bleach out the whole front of the Alias. at one point, I thought I was coming towards me nose in. when it got to me I was flying side in, lol.

the lens snaps on and off very easily, which is nice. if one wanted to, you could take it off and color it. orientation at night will take some getting use to for me, but I think I will use it pointed down at night for landing. also, if you drop it at distance and have to find it, the fact that you can turn it on and off would make it very easy to locate. kinda like doing an S.O.S by clicking it on and off . I may color my lens green, still debating, but there are advantages for both day and night with this light bar. for the $20 it cost... it is well worth having .
    flight times... someone said that they saw a 5 minute reduction in flight times? I actually did another night flight that night with it off and got less time then I did with it on. temps were near freezing, and battery condition, type of flying, ect... these are all going to have an effect on how much time you get, but I have done 7 other flights now with it on and am getting between 7:45 and 8:15, which for me is perfectly fine .

RC Qualifier
    now the day video with them on...

I know this sounds backwards, but I personally actually like them better in the day. you can see orientation from anywhere and they don't bleach out the front view.

RC Competitor
    I can definitely see the utility of these lights for day and night use. Those flight times are not that bad either. Thanks for sharing.

JB