Cool My first paint job

Hi every one,
    So I have finally painted the F150 proline lexan body that I purchased almost a year and a half ago.
    Initially I wanted blue and grey but the FLM colours took into inspiration.
    I used painters masking tape, did not press them enough on some edges so in some places there was a lot of bleeding.

I tried scraping it off with a hobby knife but my it is a long painstaking task. I wonder if a cotton tip and nail polish remover will just work. (to remove some spots where it is suppose to be clear)

Anyway here is the finished project, love the metallic combination...now I have to work on my painting skills

The family together
    Last edited by Jezza; 05-17-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Very nice! I have painted several Bandit bodys but not near as complicated as you did. Good job! Don

Quote Originally Posted by dontrinko View Post
    Very nice! I have painted several Bandit bodys but not near as complicated as you did. Good job! Don
    Thanks , I have really press the masking tapes very hard, I thought my pressure was good enough....well will see on the next paint job.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Nice! You have been more ambitious than me i havnt picked one up. But I really should. (Shoe goo isn't working anymore, too many patches)

Quote Originally Posted by rcnewbie1234 View Post
    Nice! You have been more ambitious than me i havnt picked one up. But I really should. (Shoe goo isn't working anymore, too many patches)
    Yeah tell me about it, the pede you see on the left, a bit of the right rear body has torn off, may have to get another body to bash and paint (my kid will paint it this time)
    Live life to the fullest

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Nice Jery!

Every time I think of a green/orange scheme, I think YUCK. Then I see it and like it lol. I have found that the less masking I do, the better my bodies turn out. I wish I could get uncut masking sheets made out of the stuff that proline uses for its window masks. It never bleeds and is very easy to work with...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Nice Jery!

Every time I think of a green/orange scheme, I think YUCK. Then I see it and like it lol. I have found that the less masking I do, the better my bodies turn out. I wish I could get uncut masking sheets made out of the stuff that proline uses for its window masks. It never bleeds and is very easy to work with...
    Thanks, I really like the way how the combinations worked out, and the grey too gave a nice contrast.
    I wonder if those heavy duty water proof printable labels will work. I may have to try them out...got some extra, should have just tried it out the first time.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    That's a real nice stable you have there Jezza - and your pede is almost as big as the revo, awesome! The FLM theme looks good, keep it up

RC Champion
    Jezza nice pede. Thinking of sell my EMBE (39085) and building a extended pede.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    That's a real nice stable you have there Jezza - and your pede is almost as big as the revo, awesome! The FLM theme looks good, keep it up
    Thanks, I used the old stampede rear arms at the front too, and left the extended flm rear, they are great at the track.
    My kids and I had a blast this afternoon at the track, racing along with three other trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    Jezza nice pede. Thinking of sell my EMBE (39085) and building a extended pede.
    I am thinking of making a 1/8 or 1/6 stampede from the hybrid project (got an extra flm bulk and front extended arms from warranty). I changed my idea of a hybrid, got enough parts t build another erbe, so I will use that spare trans.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    nice job, would love to know how ya got the flm emblem and that pro-line font below it, and as for masking i use liquid mask over tape, you get much crisper lines and no bleed, sadly not nearly as cheap, and you need a light hand and sharp blades or you leave lines in the body lol

Quote Originally Posted by marxain View Post
    nice job, would love to know how ya got the flm emblem and that pro-line font below it, and as for masking i use liquid mask over tape, you get much crisper lines and no bleed, sadly not nearly as cheap, and you need a light hand and sharp blades or you leave lines in the body lol
    Thanks,

I got the FLM emblem directly from them, bought enough stuff so they sent one for me. I recently sent two extended arms and another bulkhead for warranty and asked them if they could send some stickers for me.

I hope it will be in the post this week....

They have been great for me, both customer services, products and fast response

The proline stickers came with the F150 body

I have to try and get traxxas stickers, ran out of them...so hopefully soon I can get some.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    Cool trucks! Keep at it, you're doing fine!

RC Enthusiast
    Good job.

I have only painted one body, but i used the vinyl paint masks with great results. Parma make plain ones that can be cut to any scheme desired. A hair dryer to soften them up to push into body lines, I was surprised to find no bleeding. My first paint job was on the Proline Baja Bug, and am planning my next, a little more complicated with three colors.

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice work man. It only gets better with time. My first job was a learning experience. Since then its been nothing but fun. Check out the Telluride body I put on my boy's Rusty when you have a chance.

Rusty Telluride
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Nice work man. It only gets better with time. My first job was a learning experience. Since then its been nothing but fun. Check out the Telluride body I put on my boy's Rusty when you have a chance.

Rusty Telluride
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Cahoon View Post
    Good job.

I have only painted one body, but i used the vinyl paint masks with great results. Parma make plain ones that can be cut to any scheme desired. A hair dryer to soften them up to push into body lines, I was surprised to find no bleeding. My first paint job was on the Proline Baja Bug, and am planning my next, a little more complicated with three colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Cool trucks! Keep at it, you're doing fine!
    Thanks every one
    Here is little brother with his elder siblings. The slash 4x4 is the second paint job (very happy with the result, one slight bleed), looks like the erbe needs another body too

Live life to the fullest

Gotcha a nice family there!! LOL

The hardest part is to remember to take your time while painting. Don't get in a hurry, as you know how us guys are. We want to see the finished product as soon as possible.

What's your body prep/ painting technique? I could probably give you a few pointers, i'm in no way an expert of any sort. Just a fly, learn as you go.....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Gotcha a nice family there!! LOL

The hardest part is to remember to take your time while painting. Don't get in a hurry, as you know how us guys are. We want to see the finished product as soon as possible.

What's your body prep/ painting technique? I could probably give you a few pointers, i'm in no way an expert of any sort. Just a fly, learn as you go.....
    I have been learning on the fly, definitely taking the time to draw and cut the decals with precision is important.
    So far I had taken ViperZ method of removing the bleed, seems to work better with a sharpened wooden stick but I am not yet satisfied, with the hobby knife, when its dry its better but takes time.

I have really pressed hard on the edges and double taped at spots to make sure, on the second paint, it seems to have worked...I also used old magazines or newspapers for large areas to paint.

Funny you talked about learning from experience, the first time I painted was in the bath thub (with garbage bags lining) lol, that was a no no, house smelt of paint for hours and hours. Now I use an old box and paint outside, worked perfectly.

I am thinking of getting an airbrush for detailed works..it will be another challenge.

Here is my slash build
    Live life to the fullest

Trim your body first and reem the body holes. I use a scouring pad (scotch) to roughen the areas to take paint better. If you want clear windows don't scratch that area. Then clean the body with a mild soap. Pretty dry.

You should try a liquid mask in those large area or even in detail areas. You paint it on, a couple coats and can be applied thick, let totally dry, then trim with a hobby knife.

After all this you can paint. First coat needs to be light. Let dry 15 minutes or round about. Then cost a few more to your liking. Depending on the base coat and the outcome use black or white as a backing color. For stripes or designs it's best to start with the darker color first and lighter color last. I've seen people do it the other way around with great results.

This is basically what I do and they come out perfect for me.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

awesome paint job for the f-150 pede
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

Trim your body first and reem the body holes. I use a scouring pad (scotch) to roughen the areas to take paint better. If you want clear windows don't scratch that area. Then clean the body with a mild soap. Pretty dry.

You should try a liquid mask in those large area or even in detail areas. You paint it on, a couple coats and can be applied thick, let totally dry, then trim with a hobby knife.

After all this you can paint. First coat needs to be light. Let dry 15 minutes or round about. Then cost a few more to your liking. Depending on the base coat and the outcome use black or white as a backing color. For stripes or designs it's best to start with the darker color first and lighter color last. I've seen people do it the other way around with great results.

This is basically what I do and they come out perfect for me.
    Thanks, yup I did trim the body first and used a scouring pad as you mentioned. How ever for the holes I do after it has been painted, will try the opposite with next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_summit757 View Post
    awesome paint job for the f-150 pede
    Thanks, I actually like the second job on the slash better, I guess because it had less bleed.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5719742
    Live life to the fullest

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    if doing fades, I find using the light colors first, then the dark. The fades come out more uniform and smooth. If doing solid colors with crisp masking lines, painting the dark colors first keeps the light colors from getting corrupted with shadows behind the light paints... A fade needs those shadows to make the color transition smooth...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    if doing fades, I find using the light colors first, then the dark. The fades come out more uniform and smooth. If doing solid colors with crisp masking lines, painting the dark colors first keeps the light colors from getting corrupted with shadows behind the light paints... A fade needs those shadows to make the color transition smooth...
    Thanks, I had started with lighter colour but not enough, then applied the orange, it gives a nice fade but would have liked it to be more distinctive.

I will use your pointers, after the two, I re-applied the darkest (green) or I should have gone for black to give out a crisp contrast.
    Live life to the fullest