Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

Project Big Block Basher

Although my stock chassis "project backyard basher" is still going strong running 4s. I figured it was time to build myself a better more robust beater truck. with 1/8th scale diffs and stronger axles and bearings. Something I can run 6s and beat the crap out of. So no shiny polishing or fancy colored washers for this build. Just some good strong parts. I started with a ue thunder chassis with intentions of converting it to electric but nothing was fitting the way I liked so I decided to take my old project black and blue truck apart and use the flm chassis. It didn't make a real good road machine anyway.
    Heres a little list of all the major parts that im going to use.
    flm chassis
    flm hybrid bulks
    rd logics tranny
    rr clutch
    UE monoblock
    UE towers
    UE ext lower arms w/rpm upper arms
    UE servo saver
    UE supershocks
    modified STRC knuckles
    losi lst2 axles
    castle 1717 motor
    castle xl2 esc
    Had the guy on ebay make me this custom 1/8" thick stainless steel motor plate to hold the heavy motor.
    and mount it to the brushless tranny and still be able to use the gear cover. also had him shorten the slot and leave the shaft opening solid so I could just drill a hole where needed. This is a little heavy but a whole lot stronger than the original alum version that he sells.
    aluminum one.

Custom Stainless steel one.

I shortened the drive dog on the bottom tranny shaft .080 so I could slide it forward and fit this hd dogbone in the rear, then made a matching bone to fit the front.

Got some of the wiring done. Shortened the motor and esc wires and tucked them down around the side of the motor as neat as I could.

That's about all for now. Waiting on a few small parts and my machinist to mod the knuckles.

This looks to be a sick build and I am subbed......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    A couple more pics.

Like the dog bones..I did something similar.

Last edited by NFS; 05-18-2014 at 06:30 PM.

RC Racer
    Looking good
    Slash 4x4 & E-revo brushless

RC Champion
    Thanks guys, Got the rx all wired up last night. Just waiting on antenna mount.

RC poster
    You will definitely have a very good 6s basher! No heat problems and very tough driveline. Also, the look of it is amazing!

RC Qualifier
    That's a nice build !

RC Champion
    Thanks mate, Hey NFS, have you run your truck yet?

Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    Thanks mate, Hey NFS, have you run your truck yet?
    not yet,,I've been working on three trucks at the same time on my free time,probably this weekend.

RC Champion
    rounded up a few more parts for this thing.
    HCR Ti skids
    GA 7075 rockhoundz bumpers
    UE hard steel pillow balls
    GH alum. pillow ball retainers
    racers edge pro servo horn

Got the rx all wired up. just waiting for antenna mount

I used some of these servo clamps from full force rc to raise the servo up and line it up to the saver so the servo link is level.

Finally I have a truck with a real wing mount.

rear bulkhead/hindge pin braces all in place. I put two in the front of the rear just to take up the space in between the bulk and the monoblock. and the monob holds them in place.

Had a couple of these braces that I had my buddy laser engrave with "MAXX"
    and theres just enough room to put another brace on the front lower rear of the bulk. Probably the most important one as its the only one where its not captured by the bulks. that's next. Just need to grind a little groove in these ejector pins to hold it in place.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-23-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Looking Good!

RC Champion
    Thanks mate, Got the little eclip groove ground in the lower front hindge pin brace.

RC Champion
    More progress on this beast. antenna mounted, Knuckles back from the machinist, Made a servo link out of some rd racing 7075 rod ends, Trial fit the axles. fit good. Snapped and cemented the trx steel rings on the knuckles.

Next up is to redrill the axles and shorten the ends back to where the threads start and put some tie rods together. Cant wait to get it done and try it out.

Everything you make is a fabricating masterpiece dude it's just plain sick and can't wait to see the finished product......Peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Thanks mate, more progress.
    shortened the bottom of the bellcrank posts about .040 to lower the saver and keep the rod ends from hitting on the bulkheads. I also used the ue supermaxx rod ends instead of the dubro monster ball links . There the right length, have the right size hole for the traxxas tubes and the little balls are wider so there able to swivel around better.
    The axles, knuckles, and hubs all mounted and shimmed and aligned.
    Skids and bumpers mounted up.
    Tires balanced, I think im going to use these old nitro gator alum beadlocks. There a bit heavy but they just look right at home on this thing. And after all the work it took to open up the groove in the wheels to get the tires to fit I don't think they will pull out of the beadlocks, we'll see. I also reversed the center hub to widen them out a little and help keep them from hitting on the tie rods and arms. You can reverse them and gain 5/16" on each side so now the truck is 18" wide and 201/2" long.

My last paint job on my G2 didn't hold up at all. A few runs and a couple crashes and its all falling off so I think im going to use this proline raptor body that I chopped and dropped and just leave it clear see thru. I think it looks kinda cool. It gives good clearance to the motor and its nice and thick. Maybe outline the windows and put the decals on it or something. but anywho heres some pics.

[URL=http://s1052.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/EMAXXADDICT/media/IMG_1999_zps7270999c.jpg.html][IMG]
    The alum posts were just for stands to work on it,got some little short losi body posts that are a little smaller than the knucklehead opening but a washer inside works good enough and there flexible.
    [URL=http://s1052.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/EMAXXADDICT/media/IMG_2004_zpscbe2b17e.jpg.html][IMG]htt
    [IMG]
    http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s442/EMAXXADDICT/IMG_2011_zpsd99138c8.jpg[/IMG]

Just a couple more things to do and program the steering and esc and it will be rtr.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 06-07-2014 at 04:15 PM.

RC Champion
    Made some tower braces with a couple little posts to support them where the back of the body will hit them.

Put some decals on it and a little permanent marker to outline the windows.

Just need to do a little programing on the esc and steering. Got my new smc batteries today.

RC Champion
    Took it out for its first run yesterday. Im quite happy with it. It rips around great on 4s. The supershocks work great.
    Couldn't get it to wheelie like nfs but the clutch started slipping from the start so most likely why. Have a little problem with 31t pinion though it runs out of round and came loose too so I ordered a couple more in hopes of getting one that runs more precise. Temps at the end of the run were motor 135 and esc 85 The 4/1/4 x 3/32 orings on the tires seem to work good on 4s ,stayed on the whole run. 6s will be a better test for them though. Couple minor crashes with no damage other than a couple scratchs. Yard was still a little wet so it got plastered with mud. All cleaned up now waiting for a new pinion.

Looks good,,are you running a clear body?

I've been thinking of getting one of this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spur-to-pini...vip=true&rt=nc

RC Champion
    Yep, Running a clear body. Thought it would be something different and looks kinda cool I think. And no paint to fall off like my last paint job. That pinion adaptor is interesting, haven't seen that before. Not shore how well a plastic pinion would hold up to a 1717 running 6s?? Might be surprised though.

Quick question

is that an extension on the chassis ( in front of the rear bulk head).
    If so where did you get it and what is the part number. I checked FLM but cant find the extension part.

thanks
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Quick question

is that an extension on the chassis ( in front of the rear bulk head).
    If so where did you get it and what is the part number. I checked FLM but cant find the extension part.

thanks
    That's unlimited engineering monoblock.

http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...ore/13236.html

RC Champion
    Yep. Its a ue monoblock extension.
    I got three more 31t pinions from Kershaw. Not a one of them runs true. lol What a bunch of crap. I picked the best of the worst and stuck it on there. Ill see how it works if I ever get time to try it. I guess there just poor quality pinions. Im going to see if RR can make me some.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    Yep. Its a ue monoblock extension.
    So why the monoblock? Does it help stability wise or is it just to make the truck longer?

RC Champion
    By making it longer it helps with handling and also moves the weight forward witch helps keep the front tires on the ground.
    I guess it helps with stability a little too as it helps keep the rear end from coming around sideways quite so easy..
    Got me going now, I think im going to charge the batts and take it out for another run with this new pinion ha ha and tightened clutch. Maybe it will cool down outside by the time the batts charge. Its 90 outside here today.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 06-30-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Monoblock extension at $80? Holy freakin goodness. Its almost as expensive as the entire flm chassis.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Monoblock extension at $80? Holy freakin goodness. Its almost as expensive as the entire flm chassis.
    That's what happens when you start with a large solid block of expensive 7075 aluminum & machine 90% of it away.

Your builds coming along very nicely EMB!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Thanks man, This one is definetly a beast.

Sick build dude. Love it!!!

RC Champion
    Thanks guys, im exited to take it out for another run.

RC Qualifier
    Hey man where did you find the braces you are using to tie together the chassis braces?? Looks like a steering post.

RC Champion
    You can get them from RC4WD. these were just some I had laying around. You can get them a little longer and cut back to fit.
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Solid-Links_c_33.html

RC Champion
    Yesterday I took this 15 1/2 pound beast out for another 4s run. Even with the clutch tightened up it doesn't wheelie much. spins these heavy dirt dawg tires and alum wheels like crazy though. Plenty of power! With the front tires staying on the ground it rips around like a rally car on steroids. And is very stable. I haven't pulled the clutch cover off to see if the pinion stayed on tight yet but about half way through my run it became front wheel drive. at first I thought I blew the rear diff but then noticed the dogbone spinning around inside the drive cup on the tranny. Oh crap broke the pin. nope, the pin fell out.
    The other pin isn't in there very tight either So today I will make some new pins, spike the ends of the bone to close up the hole a little for a tighter fit and replace them both with some Loctite or something to hopfully hold them in. The front bone I made myself out of 5/16 SS rod and did the same thing to get the pins to fit tighter, then used some superglue and pressed them in. Its holding up so far.

Wow 15.5 pound!!!!!

Could you make a little video of that beast if it is fixed again? This would be aweseme.

wow one heck of a beast, need to see a video of that.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    Thanks guys, oh ya , forgot to mention, after half a run with the addition of a 1/8th dynamite fan, motor was 104 deg. and esc was about the same. Well see how hot it gets on a full run. And on 5s and 6s ill try to get a vid soon.

RC Qualifier
    More pictures or videoes, but great truck looks great.
    Last edited by Sypsp; 07-03-2014 at 09:09 AM.

RC Champion
    Very impressive build.

RC Champion
    Got it back together and took it out for another run. This time running 5s. Definetly got a little more power on 5s. Just lights the tires up at will. Still don't wheelie a lot but a little more than 4s. With the heavy 1717 and ss motor plate and monoblock it seems to have enough weight forward that it keeps the front end planted on the ground pretty good. Good full run, A couple tumbles, nothing broke. My new hardened steel dogbone pins held up fine and didn't fall out. I was racing around the ball field next to me. Kinda thick grass so the motor temp was 140 esc 100. Charging up a couple three cells now. Charged up my video glasses too so ill try to figure out how to get a vid of it on here. This thing should be a real beast on 6s. Cant wait to try it.

Mine does wheelies like crazy on 4s..can't even go full throttle, maybe you added to much weight to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast