RC poster

Question Larger tires and gearing question

So about a week ago I managed to snap one of the stock wheels I've been looking at wheels since then and really took a liking to the 1/10th scale rally wheels and tires. They use the same 12mm hex and have the same offset as the slash, but they measure 4 inches in diameter. I have the the brushed version of the merv. My question is what to do for gearing? The car is used for general bashing, I'm also using 2s lipos in parallel if that matters. Thanks in advance for the help.

RC Competitor
    Gear down, you can try a variety of pinions if they're available, also maybe increasing the spur since you don't really need top speed when bashing. I would recommend somewhere perhaps like a 19T pinion, maybe even lower. 4inches is a pretty ridiculous diameter o.0
    I drive money buckets..I think they're called RC's

RC poster
    Did some figuring and it seems like the 19t pinion should get me close to the stock ratio. Anything else I should consider before I buy tires this big? Added wear on other components and such?

RC Competitor
    Well, with added momentum it's going to force your entire chassis and other components such as a arms to stretch their limits concerning flexibility and tolerability to an extent that it may not be able to handle, rpm all around is a good idea, also solid turnbuckles would be a good idea for low amounts of wobble. That kind of weight along with wobble will only make more wobble, as for anything else, a sturdy servo for such big tires is a must, you need the high torque and metal gearing in the steering, so browse around on the forums, one in every 5 threads is related to servos .-.
    I drive money buckets..I think they're called RC's

RC Qualifier
    I've been looking at DuraTrax Banditos. They are 1/10 scale ST tires and wheels also but more on road. But I measured the stock Mini Summit tires and there close to 4" tall anyway. I'm trying to find someone that's ran them to get a review.

I would think once you address gearing, than the weight increase per wheel tire assembly has more impact on drive train than size. The more weight you add to rotational mass the more things will stress and break.

But I would recommend maybe using summit rear arms to increase wheelbase.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC poster
    I already have rpm front arms, extended wheel base rear arms, hr aluminum knuckles front and rear, and a metal gear steering servo. I think I'm going to get them and upgrade things as they break. Any suggestions for upgraded pushrods/turnbuckles figure I might as well do them with the wheels as there is some slight slop developing in the outer joints.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned company or product name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-25-2014 at 09:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I really like the Traxxas X toe-links. But truthfully after breaking and bending a couple different front pushrods, I reinstalled the stock front pushrods, with steel hollow balls. The front pushrods are exposed to front impacts, and steel and aluminum pushrods bend and stay bent, where as the stock plastic will bend then return to there original shape. I've never really heard of any problems with stock ones. Get a bag of steel hollow balls.

RC poster
    Thanks for the heads up about the pushrods no point in spending extra money on something that's going to bend and be unusable.

RC Qualifier
    I mean if it's not broke...... Just replace plastic hollow balls with steel. But the toe-links I'd replace with adjustable ones.