RC poster

Unhappy Castle Creations Motor OVERHEATING!!!!

Hey guys, this is my first post and I have only been in the hobby about 4 months so go easy on me. I recently aquired a Castle Creations 4600kv 1/10 motor and a Mamba Max Pro ESC that I put in my Rustler. It is over heating very fast... The motor and ESC are probably a little old, I purchased them used... But before I even got the motor I was having over heating problems with a new Reaktor motor/ESC combo. I need to know what I am doing wrong. I was running a 19 pin and 90 spur with my reactor, but when I when I would lower the pinion any further, it made running my rc not even fun(Too slow).
    Since upgrading to the CC I am now running a 16 pin and 83 spur, and it is still plenty fast for me, but the problem is that it over heats so quickly!!! it is hot to the touch after about 3 minutes... like hot enough to burn you... My reaktor was having the same problem but it seemed like it took a while longer to heat up. I am running a 3s 5500mah Lipo in it, and also have a hybrid RPM gear box. I would put a fan on the CC but the motor is so small it will not fit a heat sinc and fan on it. Please give me some help!!!!! I am also running 4 proline trenchers on the Rustler, which I think could be contributing to the over heating.... I just want a fast Rustler with Huge tires... is that too much to ask?? Please let me know any tips or tricks you would use... any advice would be much appreciated.

RC Enthusiast
    You could buy an all aluminum gearbox, or you could buy a lower kv motor, or you might have binding in your driveline.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that's odd.

I have my mmp/4600 Rustler geared 16/54 (pretty much the same as 25/83)and it barely ever gets above 130-140

I'd probably take this question to another forum though like URC or something since this is a traxxas forum and can't technically provide support for other products.
    Bashin' n' crashin'

RC Enthusiast
    4600kv motor paired with a 3s is probably your problem. That's just too much. Why don't you put the pinion back on that you prefer and switch to a 2s; if you have one lying around. Otherwise, I would just get a motor that was closer to 3500kv.

RC Qualifier
    I run that exact setup in my 2wd slash 18/86 gearing on 3s, highest temp i've had was 170, which should still be fairly safe on this motor. This is with proline sc wheels and trenchers. The larger tires are most likely your issue

If you have the old CM36 version, you have a less powerful 2 pole motor. The newer 1406 series is a 4 pole and will probably not run hot that fast.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    It is a CM36 is that my problem? If so what is your recomendation?

RC poster
    Thanks for the help
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon555 View Post
    Yeah that's odd.

I have my mmp/4600 Rustler geared 16/54 (pretty much the same as 25/83)and it barely ever gets above 130-140

I'd probably take this question to another forum though like URC or something since this is a traxxas forum and can't technically provide support for other products.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilltothebone View Post
    It is a CM36 is that my problem? If so what is your recomendation?
    That explains it! Mine is the 4 pole.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fls4 View Post
    That explains it! Mine is the 4 pole.
    Shoot... Well now im ****ed.... Do you know of a fan that will fit it?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by badaboom7 View Post
    4600kv motor paired with a 3s is probably your problem. That's just too much. Why don't you put the pinion back on that you prefer and switch to a 2s; if you have one lying around. Otherwise, I would just get a motor that was closer to 3500kv.
    On the motor it does say 3s was okay to run with it. Do you know any other way of cooling it?

This is totally inaccurate, you really should not try to tell people about the rules of this forum if you do not understand them yourself. Has long as the question is related to the use of an after market product in a Traxxas vehicle it is welcome here.

Being that the motor was bought used you really have no idea how it was treated. If the previous owner over geared and thus over heated the motor the magnets may be damaged which makes the motor work harder and over heat now to provide the same performance.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

The CM36 motors are hardly an upgrade over the stock motor. So you should gear accordingly. The 1406 series motors have quite a bit more power (my educated guess: around 50%) and can be geared more heavy.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    The CM36 motors are hardly an upgrade over the stock motor. So you should gear accordingly. The 1406 series motors have quite a bit more power (my educated guess: around 50%) and can be geared more heavy.
    The stock motor was a Titan... Its a bit of an upgrade. Thank you for the advice

RC Qualifier
    What's the ESC timing at? And the end points on the radio?
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

The stock motor was a Titan... Its a bit of an upgrade. Thank you for the advice
    In that case it was a serious upgrade. Sorry not to have mentioned the stock brushless Velineon motor.

On the motor it does say 3s was okay to run with it. Do you know any other way of cooling it?
    You can gear down, get an aluminum transmission case, use 2s instead of 3s, get a motor fan, get smaller tires, (effectively gears it down) or lower the motor timing.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    You can gear down, get an aluminum transmission case, use 2s instead of 3s, get a motor fan, get smaller tires, (effectively gears it down) or lower the motor timing.
    How do I lower the motor timing? Do I need the link so I can hook it to my computer?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasfreak61 View Post
    What's the ESC timing at? And the end points on the radio?
    How do I check?

How do I lower the motor timing? Do I need the link so I can hook it to my computer?
    You'll need the Castle field programming card, or the Castle link for the computer.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Champion
    I would suggest first a heat gun then an upgrade to Castles 3800. Bigger tires requires lower gearing or a motor that can handle it. The 3800 and 4600 don't handle 3s. The 3800 is killer on 2s though. I agree that 3s is too much. If you want the biggest tires and the best speed then get an emaxx.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    Dad has the correct answer to this.. This motor was purchased used and the OP has no way of knowing what the condition of the motor is. Here's a little helpful tip. Look at the rear casing of the motor, the side with the wires attached. Is the ring around the edge brownish color or shiny? What castle does is the end will turn a brownish color if the motor has been overheated. I found this out from them. And yes the motor will never run correctly again especially trying to run trenchers on a 2 pole with 3S power. You can gear all you want and it will still never be perfect. Just so you know, I used to run a cm36 5700 2 pole on 3S with Talons on a Rustler, while not as heavy as the trenchers, they are still heavy. proper gearing is important here.. I wish I could give you a magic formula, but I don't remember. I currently run a 5700 4pole on the truck now geared 25/86... but that's a 4pole, not a 2 pole.. I run the old 5700 in one of my touring cars on 3S..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3