RC poster

Revo 3.3 Stuck In 2nd???

I am going crazy trying to figure this out. I got a revo 3.3 about a month ago from a friend, and It runs good but I think the transmission is stuck in second gear. When i give it full throttle off the line it definitely is not popping wheelies, but the acceleration is decent, and it revs up and i do not hear it shift at all even if i run it at full speed for a few hundred feet.

THINGS IVE DONE TO THE TRUCK SINCE IVE GOTTEN IT:
    -Stripped out the reverse gear but I cleaned out all the debris in the transmission and filed down the gear just so it sits in there but doesn't cause any problems
    -Eliminated opti-drive
    -New tires and wheels
    -Installed new clutch shoes (not on slipper clutch but the clutch bell assembly itself)
    -Tried to adjust shift point but made absolutely no difference at all
    -Tightened slipper clutch but did not make a difference with shifting

I've opened up the transmission and checked first and second gear, as well as my differential, and all gears look good, the one way bearing on first gear works properly as well. WHAT DO I DO??????????

The revo isn't a wheelie machine. It can be done, but it isn't brad for it. Will need to stiffen up the rear end to even begin to gut the front up. If it's taking off good, crisp, and quickly, maybe it isn't that it's stuck in second, but instead not hitting second. A to rich tuned motor will keep it from hitting second.

Edit: Here is a whole list of things for the revo. Everything from tuning, to rebuilding.

http://traxxas.com/support/models/nitro/5309revo33
    Last edited by icepick832; 05-24-2014 at 06:06 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by icepick832 View Post
    The revo isn't a wheelie machine. It can be done, but it isn't brad for it. Will need to stiffen up the rear end to even begin to gut the front up. If it's taking off good, crisp, and quickly, maybe it isn't that it's stuck in second, but instead not hitting second. A to rich tuned motor will keep it from hitting second.

Edit: Here is a whole list of things for the revo. Everything from tuning, to rebuilding.

http://traxxas.com/support/models/nitro/5309revo33
    Ok I took it to my LHS today and they helped me fix the tune, so now all of the needles are good (I think) and it still is not shifting. It is definitely stuck in first gear because if i squeeze the trigger off the line now it boggs for a second and half a second later it takes off with pretty good acceleration, but it revs very very high and stops accelerating around maybe… idk, 25 mph? And if i do this 3 or 4 times the engine will overheat from being so high in the rpm's and will not turn over until it has cooled for about 5 minutes or so. After me and the hobby shop guy tuned it all up, i replaced the entire clutch assembly (Clutch shoes, spring, bearings, washer, and new c-clip even lol) and I tightened up my slipper clutch pretty good, and we started messing with the shift timing screw inside the tranny(you know, that little SOB that takes 10 minutes to find every time?!). No dice. Nothing at all, when the screw was turned in all the way to when it was turned all the way out it ran exactly the same, so the adjustment did not affect it at all. Is there any other form of gear adjustment that I am overlooking throughout this process? I'm losing my mind over here!!!!!! The engine is definitely hitting high enough rpm's, why isn't this shifting?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by Double G; 05-26-2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: family friendly forum, watch the profanity

RC Enthusiast
    Have you taken the 1st and 2nd gears off of the shaft and checked the mechanism(i dont know what its called) that engages 2nd?
    Revo P26 T-Maxx P26RD T-Maxx TRX3.3 Slayer TRX3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronfrom218 View Post
    ...the mechanism(i dont know what its called) that engages 2nd?
    It is the Primary Clutch Assembly part # 5390
    Revo P26 T-Maxx P26RD T-Maxx TRX3.3 Slayer TRX3.3

RC Champion
    If at some point someone screwed in that adjustment screw till it bottomed out (doesn't take much force at all), that can cause the assembly to become jammed, preventing the arm from swinging out. The solution, if it is jammed, is to just replace it.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear