RC Enthusiast

New to this forum - Greetings

Hi all fellow Traxxas owners.
    Introducing myself formerly to the thread. I just ordered my first Traxxas since ~1992 when I picked up an SRT. Had quite a bit of fun with that ride; did a lot of racing with it through the 90's and built a home track in my parents back yard with it. Gave me years of smiles. Its currently sitting in my tool chest in restorable shape. May not have time to get to that project but who knows.

Last night I decided to get back into Traxxas. I've followed their company development and evolution for +20 years and as many of you would agree, they have come a long way!

After shelving my 10 or so RC's from about 2001 to 2008, I got the itch again and started reviving some of my old rides; everything from nitro touring to pan cars and trucks. Nothing serious, just for fun.
    Then I picked up an Associated MGT last year, I love the beast but cant seem to make it through a tank without breaking something. Its been the most frustrating RC I have ever owned. Its a shelf queen for now, but it looks beast.

I've dabbled with the smaller scales toying with an RC 18MT. Fun but left me wanting more. I was hoping the 1/16 Revo would do the trick.

So I bought in.

On the way currently is the following:
    1/16 Revo Brushed with 2.4
    RPM Axle Carriers
    RPM Front and Rear arms
    Steel hollow balls
    Traxxas aluminum push rods
    Traxxas aluminum toe links
    Traxxas NiMH 2925 pack
    Traxxas parallel connector

That should get me started. I really did not feel like diving into brushless or LiPo yet... Call me old school.
    But maybe one day.

I will post some pics and keep you all abreast of the MERV's progress and adventures.
    Hopefully I will also be able to lend a hand or two to all of you from my 25+ years in the hobby.

Nice to meet you all.

- Edward

Great to have you here! If I'm on here you can expect a response within minutes of asking your question and it's the same way with many of the other members too.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    Welcome. I have been in the hobby for about 14 years myself since I was 11. I bought a Teton and a 1/16 slash 4x4 brushed to get back into the hobby after a few years off too. I didn't really understand the hype of brushless but after only a week my slash has a 1/10 scale castle sidewinder3 combo in it and the light has shown down from rc heaven. Lol once you do go brushless you will love it. No break in and hardly any maintenance. If yours is a 550 titan brushed you might wanna look into one soon as t halos motors tend to not last too long but it's hit and miss.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks fellas.
    It is likely that once the initial brushed blows I will probably find my way to brushless.
    My thoughts behind this was that there may be some benefit to having a big block mount down the line and the initial spend was kept down.
    I did buy a new charger that supports Lipo so I'll be ready when I take the plunge.
    I've been using my old Novak charger till now. You should see my workbench, its right out of 1995. LOL!

RC Qualifier
    Welcome, sounds like a good list, I'd add a motor heatsink. I've been in and out of hobby sense around 1988. I've ran some nitro some electric, but when I got lipos for first time with my sons mini summit, I'll never go back to NiMH or nitro for that matter.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
    Welcome, sounds like a good list, I'd add a motor heatsink. I've been in and out of hobby sense around 1988. I've ran some nitro some electric, but when I got lipos for first time with my sons mini summit, I'll never go back to NiMH or nitro for that matter.
    The Nitro discrimination is not cool. I was actually denied access to a backyard track due to neighbors. Some nerve. ha!

I have a bunch of heat sinks laying around the bench I can probably make fit if needed. Anyone remember the chamois that had to be soaked in water before racing? Perhaps this was a pan car thing... But those things really worked well.

Something tells me I will be buying Lipo soon. I am starting to think I cant run two NiMH packs in parallel with the stock ESC on this thing... Is this true?

Welcome, sweet to have another oldschool RC enthusiast here,
    Something tells me too, you will go Lipo, it's all the rage now, for good reason.
    Not sure about the series NiMh Q - pretty high volts but??? JIMMY!
    Last edited by Beaz; 05-29-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaz View Post
    Welcome, sweet to have another oldschool RC enthusiast here,
    Something tells me too, you will go Lipo, it's all the rage now, for good reason.
    Not sure about the series NiMh Q - pretty high volts but??? JIMMY!
    Thank you!
    The esc seems rated to 8 if I recall correctly. Wondering if anyone has done this?

RC Qualifier
    Do not run a series connector on the xl 2.5. You will fry it and most likely the motor too.

As far as having a big block mount you are correct. Once you go brushless a 540 size motor will bolt right on, mine did.

RC Enthusiast
    What about the parallel connector? I avoided the series connector for that reason.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Longdoggy View Post
    What about the parallel connector? I avoided the series connector for that reason.
    parallel connectors are fine. they only increase the run time by adding the Mah of the batteries. just make sure you use two of the same Mah and also of the same voltage.

you can also run lipo's in parallel but obviously not in series lol especially two 11.1v
    Last edited by 4mikebruns; 05-30-2014 at 07:30 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok great. Thanks for confirming!
    Runtime was my objective, I was not looking for insane speed.

Any recommendations for 540 brushless bolt on's to the big block plate?

Running parallel with the nimh batteries will be fine. That will double your run time. Series is what you should try to avoid.

Regarding your motor. The velineon 3500 would work. I have also seen a tekin pro 4 in one of these!

RC Qualifier
    Ok great. Thanks for confirming!
    Runtime was my objective, I was not looking for insane speed.

Any recommendations for 540 brushless bolt on's to the big block plate?
    Personally I run a Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 ESC with a Neu 4600kv 4 Pole 540 size motor and all I had to do was put my stock pinion on it, solder a traxxas connector on it, and then bolt it into place and i just double side taped the ESC and on/of switch down. It runs great, I have only ran Ni-MH packs on it so far and I have hit 35mph compared to the stock 28ish. It can power drift and torque steers a little as well. you can see it here: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...h-Torque-Steer

RC Qualifier
    I did mean to sound anti-nitro. I love the sound and smell. All I was saying is I'm old school too, and sense getting back into hobby and seeing the technologeical advant of brushless and lipo it's really hard to beat the run time and simplistics of it. And the insanity of speed one can achieve with a brushless lipo combo. And ease of use for the kids.

RC Enthusiast
    Very cool. How is run time with that motor and NiMH? You running single pack or parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
    Personally I run a Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 ESC with a Neu 4600kv 4 Pole 540 size motor and all I had to do was put my stock pinion on it, solder a traxxas connector on it, and then bolt it into place and i just double side taped the ESC and on/of switch down. It runs great, I have only ran Ni-MH packs on it so far and I have hit 35mph compared to the stock 28ish. It can power drift and torque steers a little as well. you can see it here: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...h-Torque-Steer

RC Enthusiast
    It's all good. Something about me cant let go of nitro. I too love the smell and sound. The reliability of electrics has always been what kept me also in the non nitro side... Plus i love soldering.
    But I think I will be offloading some of my nitros. I've got the Serpent Impact shelf queen with nowhere to run it, the RS4 that runs but needs new belts, and the RC10GT, and the MGT which I will never get rid off, but might see a brushless conversion one of these days.
    I clearly see the benefit of Lipo and surely will one day find myself purchasing a few packs.

Quote Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
    I did mean to sound anti-nitro. I love the sound and smell. All I was saying is I'm old school too, and sense getting back into hobby and seeing the technologeical advant of brushless and lipo it's really hard to beat the run time and simplistics of it. And the insanity of speed one can achieve with a brushless lipo combo. And ease of use for the kids.

RC Qualifier
    Very cool. How is run time with that motor and NiMH? You running single pack or parallel?
    I run the standard 1200mah batteries in parallel and i can run for up to 40-45 minutes

RC Enthusiast
    That's solid. What was the cost for your brushless setup? And is it "waterproof". Or at least somewhat resistant

RC Qualifier
    That's solid. What was the cost for your brushless setup? And is it "waterproof". Or at least somewhat resistant
    I wanted power immediately lol so i went to my local shop in jax, fl. They had a few options but some were out of stock especially the cheapest option which I cant recall the name but it was $80...Mine however was the most expensive one that wouldnt tear my car apart it was $115 but i got it for $100 cause of memorial day weekend 15% off for military. The two they had in stock were mine which is waterproof and the other one was a Copperhead Viper combo for $99 or discounted to $84 but it was only water resistant.

I am pretty sure i saw my exact combo on Amazon for $100 and it was a prime item for free shipping.

I have taken mine thru some small puddles and wet dirt/grass and i just rinsed it the whole car off each time and then towel dried it, i also used my wifes blowdrier on low heat lol but not on the electronic areas.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice, thanks for the tip 4mike. i will keep these options in mind.

RC Qualifier
    The 1/16 Brushed Revo was my first Traxxas product and I still love it. Don't wait to go LiPo though, seriously, the difference makes for a whole new RC. Its very easy to justify it for the 1/16 because the LiPo batteries are so cheap! You can get 2s for as low as $10 to $20 so its not an expense at all. The 12T Titan really wakes up on 2s for wheelies and tons of torque, especially running two in parallel and getting 40min runtimes

The nimh's in parallel are only supposed to increase run times, but I thought it was maybe a bit faster and definitely more torque with the two batteries. Prob due to the fact that the 2400mah can then provide more current and results in less voltage sag...but..... go LIPO lol

RC Enthusiast

Ok ok. I'll be going lipo soon.

Any recommendations for good value packs. I noticed the Traxxas lipo pack was a little pricy.

Perhaps a dumb question, but besides lipo packs, is there anything else I'd need to run them safely? I've read about some cut off/low voltage warning add-on's.
    Also looks like lipo has an additional plug. What's this for?

Use spc batteries. Ant turn the lvd on. Just turn the esc on then push and hold the button until the motor sounds. The led will go green.

I second SPC batteries... spectacular quality and an awesome price to boot!

The additional plug is for the charger to monitor individual cell voltages.

Here is a post that has my LiPo 101:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5654563
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I have both SPC batteries and a traxxas battery for my 1/16's I have. I have been running 2s lipos in my brushless and its amazing. I was always a little iffy on going to Lipo's but now that I have made the switch I wont look back lol. I have also run my brushless truck on 3s traxxas lipo. Way more power than I thought would ever come out of that little thing. lol.

RC Qualifier
    SPC awesome.

RC Enthusiast

Thanks for the post Jimmy. Very informative.
    Will take SPC into consideration when I'm ready.
    MERV arriving tomorrow! Definitely excited for it to get here, all the hop up parts I ordered and the new charger have all been delivered already.
    Looking forward to seeing if/how much slop I have to shimm out.

The Merv will be a pain every now and then. But that doesn't mean it's a great car and often good for tons of smiles on your face.
    Good luck getting it right for you and a little belated welcome to this great place with tons of time-, money- and frustration saving experience.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Peter!
    I think I can safely say that every RC I have ever owned has had it's moments of being a pain. It's an inherent trait of the hobby I believe but had not stopped me yet.

So after getting my MERV in the mail today, there was only one way to go... Rip her apart, start learning the lines, parts, screws and weakness identification.

I figured I'd start on the front end. I installed the rpm arms and hubs as well as the TRX push rods and toe links.

Also used the traxxas metal bushings instead of the plastic junk. I've managed to remove a considerable amount of play from the front end so I am pleased about that.
    Will tackle the rear end tomorrow to do much of the same.

First impression is it's pretty easy to work on and well made/sturdy.

Rpm never steered me wrong in the past.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-03-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Longdoggy, you have a good list to start off with your MERV.
    I didn't see that you included shims for your diffs. It is highly recommended to shim them because they will eventually start to click (even on the brushed motor). Doing it from the start will save you time in the long run

RC Enthusiast
    I finished the rear end today, realized when I bought the RPM hubs that I only bought one set which I used on the front. Oh well, I will order those some other day.
    When taking apart the rear end, I noticed some very sticky liquid substance in the drive shafts. Thinking back to my original research of the MERV, I instantly thought leaky rear diff. I suspect it was not tightened well enough and had leaked. Lovely...
    This leads to my need to do the shimmy.
    Since I am going to have to make a run to the LHS for diff oil, can someone suggest what size shims they used? I am sure I have the right shim in the shop, but I'd rather not chance it and leave everything in pieces while I wait until I have time to run to the LHS again.
    I did the initial checks and spun the wheels all different ways and speeds listening for clicking but all sounds smooth. So I suspect I got a good one, but one that needs a diff rebuild.
    I don't think I will be able to resist a few more runs with the MERV till then though. It's a blast to drive.

I just ran the first (parallel) packs through her and boy was it a blast to drive. Certainly faster than I expected, no standing back flips but that's ok.
    Handling was superb, maybe this is from my slop clean up, suspension tweaking and meticulous camber and toe settings. I did spend quite a lot of time today getting it just right. Seems it payed off as she tracks perfectly true and soaks up bumps nicely. A little bit of roll but I think some heavier shock oil should do the trick.
    Driving her at night was quite the sight, the way the street lights shimmer off the rear TRX links as she drives down the street was quite pleasing on the eyes.

We also did some light rock crawling and she rolled over some decent size rocks with ease, I was very pleased.

On the to-do's:
    - Rebuild diffs
    - Shim diffs
    - Rebuild shocks with 50wt or 60wt
    - Rear RPM hubs

To be honest, I am happy with the speed. I've raced modified pan cars back in the day so I have experienced fast RC's and one thing I have learned is the faster you go, the faster you break stuff.
    If I go brushless/Lipo it's for reliability and longevity - I am sure I'll be there one day.
    But this particular purchase has satisfied my needs perfectly; a rock solid platform that is fun to drive, easy to work on, easy to travel with, good run times with parallel configuration, and all for a fair price. The brushed MERV on Amazon for $215 RTR is really an incredible deal for what it is.

Will add a few pics from our first ride together shortly. After my 20 year hiatus from Traxxas, I am glad to be back and I can say first hand, they have come a long way.

RC Enthusiast
    Some images from our night ride

Looking good Longdoggy! I like night driving - good ambient temp, and I seem to be able to see the Merv alot easier at a distance (and it's orientation to me), 10 LED's do help! Thinking about the TRX light kit, but unsure atm, that would surely be cool using spare channels for controling high/low beam..and maybe a horn (beep beep kind).
    Last edited by Beaz; 06-04-2014 at 03:26 AM. Reason: punctuation
    1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks! I'd say I like RC driving all times of the day.
    I thought about doing some lights on my MERV, but initial budget ran out for my first order of parts. So lighting will be on the list, but below diff rebuild, shim, shock oil/rebuild, rear hubs, and probably lipo and brushless I'm affraid. Will have to see what parts wear and what mods draw my attention the most. At the moment I am very pleased with my new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaz View Post
    Looking good Longdoggy! I like night driving - good ambient temp, and I seem to be able to see the Merv alot easier at a distance (and it's orientation to me), 10 LED's do help! Thinking about the TRX light kit, but unsure atm, that would surely be cool using spare channels for controling high/low beam..and maybe a horn (beep beep kind).

RC Enthusiast
    The shims are Associated part # 21141 size .324 x .409 x .005
    Also, try using 70wt or 90wt oil on the shocks. Thinner oil just doesn't do the trick.

A couple of other cheap mods that most people do are:
    - cut down the antenna tube so that it fits underneath de body (you don't loose too much range with this mod)
    - use velcro on the battery doors to hold the body in place instead of using body pins

RC Enthusiast
    That is perfect. Thanks! I'll try out these mods in due time. I agree the stock fluid rolls a little too much. Not all that bad for me, but some thicker oil should help the dampening.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlora View Post
    The shims are Associated part # 21141 size .324 x .409 x .005
    Also, try using 70wt or 90wt oil on the shocks. Thinner oil just doesn't do the trick.

A couple of other cheap mods that most people do are:
    - cut down the antenna tube so that it fits underneath de body (you don't loose too much range with this mod)
    - use velcro on the battery doors to hold the body in place instead of using body pins