RC Competitor

Picked up a Slash 4x4 in trade

Well, I had a merv that had been sitting up on a shelf for a while, the build is around here somewhere. I bought it for my son and he bashed it hard and lost his interest when I bought him a rock racer. I got tired of seeing it collect dust so I got to thinking maybe I'll trade it since I know it's gonna be hard to sell this thing without taking a real big hit so I traded for a gmade R1 knowing I could get rid of it quick. I did some cheap upgrades to it to make it more appealing and within 5 minutes of putting it up at my local RC trader somebody offered me a 4x4 LCG Slash. After looking it over for a few minutes I thought I'd be crazy to pass it up. This is the parts list:

Tekno RC Big Bone Center Driveshaft & Outdrive Kit
    mip x-duty rear cv shafts
    Traxxas Steel Front Driveshafts TRA6851R
    Savox 1268 Servo
    MMP ESC
    Castle 5700kv motor
    King Headz Motor mount
    Traxxas ALUMINUM STEERING BLOCK & C-HUBS
    Traxxas Aluminum Castor blocks
    RPM A Arms
    Proline evo 2 body
    STRC shock towers
    Integy shocks

Some pics:

I've toyed with the idea of converting it into a Rally but I see so many people converting their rally's into slash's it's got me thinking twice. We'll see how that goes. One thing I would like to do is do the 17mm hex conversion but this thing came with MIP's in the rear and Traxxas CVD's in the front. I've read Traxxas 17mm hexes have issues with MIP cvd's, can anyone let me know how true that is? Would it be easier to just go Traxxas CVD's in the rear as well? Also, if any one would like to chime in on anything that would be worth while to change or add on I'm all ears.

I'd also like to hear about what tires everyone has had good luck with bashing.

The Slash is one of those rigs I've looked at but never really considered but I have to say now that I own one it's got me excited to drive it. This thing is beautiful.

If I were you, I'd trade that 5700 kv motor for a 2400 kv motor. You can gear the 2400 for a lot more speed without the heat related problems the 5700 will have. As for tires, on road, Duratrax Bandito tires and for off-road only Proline Badlands are nothing short of amazing.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    I agree with el sob, just be aware that proline sc tires are bigger than the stock ones and will tear up the body from the tire hitting and rubbing the traxxas body especially badlands. Just got badlands and beadlock wheels and found out they rub the body real easy. U can put some duct tape under the wheel well to help the paint getting rubbed off from the tire hitting it underneath. If you get bead locks as well they will be heavier.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If I were you, I'd trade that 5700 kv motor for a 2400 kv motor. You can gear the 2400 for a lot more speed without the heat related problems the 5700 will have. As for tires, on road, Duratrax Bandito tires and for off-road only Proline Badlands are nothing short of amazing.
    the 2400 looks good from what I've been reading. I'll keep a look out for one. I was leaning toward the badlands. Thanks for the conformation.

Quote Originally Posted by guy45ot View Post
    I agree with el sob, just be aware that proline sc tires are bigger than the stock ones and will tear up the body from the tire hitting and rubbing the traxxas body especially badlands. Just got badlands and beadlock wheels and found out they rub the body real easy. U can put some duct tape under the wheel well to help the paint getting rubbed off from the tire hitting it underneath. If you get bead locks as well they will be heavier.
    Thanks for the info. I'll throw some Gorilla tape under there ASAP before I forget. I was thinking about the split six bead locks. They look pretty good. Do you know if I would have a problem with fitment if I go to a rally setup?

You can take a look on ebay for the 2400 motor. It is the same one that is in the Traxxas Funny car. I got my 2400 motor and ET-3S esc for $100.00. Deals are out there if you are willing to look.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You can take a look on ebay for the 2400 motor. It is the same one that is in the Traxxas Funny car. I got my 2400 motor and ET-3S esc for $100.00. Deals are out there if you are willing to look.
    Do you think I'll be ok running the funny car motor with the MMP? I found the motor by itself for around $75.00

That will be NO problem.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    That will be NO problem.
    Thanks for the response. It'll be a few weeks before I can pick up the motor but it's definitely going in there. I have to say though, I ran it pretty hard today on 2s and the motor never went above 105. Maybe it's the fan maybe its the 2s battery. I don't own a 3s battery but that's going on my list too. Dam you RC addiction.

RC Champion
    I run the ET-2400 and love it!. You need a 3s to run it or else it will be miserably slow. But it'll always stay nice and cool so it's well worth the upgrade.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I run the ET-2400 and love it!. You need a 3s to run it or else it will be miserably slow. But it'll always stay nice and cool so it's well worth the upgrade.
    Thanks Sean, I've only run Venom 2S batteries because all I've had are crawlers and trail trucks. I see a trend of 3S in the Slash 4x4 crowd.

I'm seeing more people using Gens Ace on here. Is that what I should be looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by GabesDad View Post
    Thanks Sean, I've only run Venom 2S batteries because all I've had are crawlers and trail trucks. I see a trend of 3S in the Slash 4x4 crowd.

I'm seeing more people using Gens Ace on here. Is that what I should be looking at?
    Keep in mind the motor many run on 3s is 2400kv 550 can.
    A lot of folks also run 1/8 scale 2200kv or 2650kv on 3s and 4s, in the case of the 2200kv as many a 6s.
    In the lipo category and imo spc is a great way to go.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Keep in mind the motor many run on 3s is 2400kv 550 can.
    A lot of folks also run 1/8 scale 2200kv or 2650kv on 3s and 4s, in the case of the 2200kv as many a 6s.
    In the lipo category and imo spc is a great way to go.
    A lot of the scaler guys like SPC also. I checked them out and prices/reviews are real good. Thanks