Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

132mph Ruslter

My rustler built for 100+. It has a mamba monster 2 paired with a castle 2200kv motor running on 6s lipo. the gearing is 34/26 using an xo-1 pinion as the pinion and a 26t pinion as the spur, so there is no slipper clutch. I only got to drive it twice so far, first going 132mph, and then the second run it hit a road reflector and went straight into a curb at 72mph. Unfortunatly I did not a get a video of the 132mph run, so I took out my camera and tried it again and caught the crash. I'll post a link to the crash here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYfH-2JgZl4.

http://s1269.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/KC...a82b8.jpg.html
    http://s1269.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/KC...bef35.jpg.html
    [IMG]photo (1).png[/IMG]
    sorry if the photos don't work
    this costs too much money

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar

what metal spur is that?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post

what metal spur is that?
    Its just a 26t mod 1 pinion

Which is insane because thats just a hair over 2:1 for the final drive ratio! Just shows how much of a beast those 1515 motors are.
    Last edited by brandon555; 07-17-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Bashin' n' crashin'

that's insane!! what body did you use to keep it planted on the road?

RC Enthusiast
    that's insane!! what body did you use to keep it planted on the road?
    The body that I used before was wrecked with my last crash and it was a clear stock body and I added a couple downforce wings, but I have been looking into getting a GT8 body and doing the conversion to fit it, here is a video of it http://www.dragtimes.com/video-viewe...Li365s&feature.

RC Enthusiast

what metal spur is that?
    here is a link to where you can get one http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191246977363?lpid=82

Quote Originally Posted by KCWCK55 View Post
    here is a link to where you can get one http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191246977363?lpid=82
    Yeah, I'm a speed freak myself on 4x4 section I got a Rally GT8 running mod1 34/25 on 4s MM/2650kv.

I must say these g locs are AMAZING! I am definitely buying some for the front as we speak . It's funny the smallest thing can make you happy. I'm grinning at this lol. Can't wait to break that 70mph mark.

My fastest speed so far to date...
    Last edited by mrtwohands; 07-18-2014 at 07:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    where can I buy a 34 tooth spur

Quote Originally Posted by momort View Post
    where can I buy a 34 tooth spur
    HR 34t steel spur from revo nitro.

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, i feel my back end of the rustler has a bit to much sag / needs stronger springs. What would you guys recommend?
    2400kv rusty ~ 4100kv merv
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Qualifier
    You could try more preload clips first. Pretty easy since they come free with the car.

What springs are you running now? And shock oil? Losi has some good springs that will for Traxxas shocks.

RC Qualifier
    I already have a couple pre-loads on there rcguy1324. MrTwoHands, i'm running stock springs with 40wt.
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

I am running 50wt in mine front an rear. I don't have any sag but then again mine is slammed lol.

I would check out the losi springs. I think they have some rated for 3 & 5lbs

RC Qualifier
    Mine is slammed too, but look at mine in the pics on page one. You can tell it is quite heavy.
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

I'm sure with all that aluminum. I'd seriously suggest some 45-50wt oil and losi springs.

RC Qualifier
    I was actually about to pick up an flm tranny case too, but then i thought about it and i feel like i already have too much aluminum. I like a good mix between plastic/aluminum. Does anyone think i should take a bit of aluminum off my ride?
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xNitroAddictx View Post
    Hey guys, i feel my back end of the rustler has a bit to much sag / needs stronger springs. What would you guys recommend?
    There is actually a chassis that lets you spin the transmission 180 to put the motor towards the middle of the chassis. It might help a little bit, here is a link to it http://www.chuckworksrc.com/Rustler_Chassis.php

I was actually about to pick up an flm tranny case too, but then i thought about it and i feel like i already have too much aluminum. I like a good mix between plastic/aluminum. Does anyone think i should take a bit of aluminum off my ride?
    If you like it and it performs the way you want then you can add as much as you like. I personally am leaning more and more towards mostly running aluminum. What tranny are you running now? Have you considered the Hot Racing one? Or any others.

RC Enthusiast
    I've used RCRaven springs for the E-max in the rear and stock Rustler springs in the fron. Worked like a charm. RCRaven Maxx springs are pretty hefty!

RC Qualifier
    I'm running the rpm one mrtwohands but i want to fit big pinions on it, and i can't put my castle heatsink/fan on the motor because it's a closed case. There hasn't been much work put into my rustler lately, i've been saving money for a new gaming desktop which should be finished tomorrow... Having so many hobbies is hard on a 16y/o's wallet!
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

I hear ya. I am 29 and it is still hard the ole wallet lol.

Other than that are you liking the RPM case? I really need a new gearbox because mine is cracked. I have narrowed it down to Hot Racing Composite and Integy. I know the FLM is a good one but they are proud of it with those prices lol.

RC Qualifier
    The rpm isn't bad, doesn't really help with temperatures that much, so i'm making the transfer to an aluminum one. I was looking at the integy one, but you know... Integy:/ So then my next choice was the HR case, but i already have the flm chassis and upper brace, so i was thinking the flm tranny would look good with these 2 peices, so i'm gonna go ahead and order it pretty soon.
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

Yeah if I already had the chassis and top plate I would probably go with the FLM gearbox also. Have not heard one bad thing about them. Eventually I want to do an aluminum chassis, top plate, shock towers, and caster blocks. I am really liking the STRC silver. Keep me posted on the FLM gearbox because I have not ruled it out but as far as price goes I am leaning towards the HR.

FLM was the first aluminum tranny case and IMO is still the best one on the market. It costs more than some of the others on the market but it also has more features than most if not all the others.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

What are some of those features as I am unclear about what they are? I'm all for spending the extra money if its actually worth it in the long run. And plus I know you know what you're talking about

FLM case has an open motor bay so you can fit bigger 1/8th scale motors if you want, can mount the stock wheelie bar, offers 1 and 4 toe in arm mounts and you can swap back and forth. IMO one of the biggest and most over looked is the case gives you the ability to adjust anti squat. Just like all other aluminum tranny cases they drop temps on the motor a lot, I saw a 30 drop in motor temps.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Seems like a quite a few features. When doing speed runs only what would be more beneficial, 1 or 4?

I am also assuming all the factory gears just swap over with no problems?
    Last edited by mrtwohands; 07-23-2014 at 12:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Sense it is a open motor bay, i know that you can now also fit the CC Heatsinks/fan on the motor. Also you also can fit taller gears because the motor slides back more i think?
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    Seems like a quite a few features. When doing speed runs only what would be more beneficial, 1 or 4?

I am also assuming all the factory gears just swap over with no problems?
    Rear toe in makes the truck more stable and lets you get on the power sooner and or harder when coming out of a corner. IMO 1 would be enough for speed runs. Also the more rear toe you have the faster your tires wear out. For this reason I would only use 4 on a dedicated track racer where you likely are changing tires frequently anyway.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Awesome. Thanks. I think I may need to adjust the rear of my Rustler some and try some different setups.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah same here, i got the speed aspect down.. So i just need to fine tune the suspension, weight on the front, and my gear ratio. This will be done in a couple weeks as i'm doing a PC build currently and it's taking up everytime of my money!
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Qualifier
    Its almost there.

Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Qualifier
    What motor do you have in it mrmerv?
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Qualifier
    The one in the top pick is what I'm running currently. Its a 2650kv Tekin T8. I run it on 5 cell. A 3s n 2s in series, both 5000mah/25c #traxxas. Geared 36/22 mod 1
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Qualifier
    I thought running a 3s and 2s in series wasn't recommended/safe? Have you ever had any problems with it?
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC Qualifier
    I haven't had any problems thus far. I was helped by a guy that works at a hobby shop and another very knowledgeable gentleman. These guys both have great reps for building robots, speed cars, flying type rc's. I broke each pack in individually about 6 cycles. Been running in series 8 cycles. Both packs by same mfg, same mah. Same c rating, very important. Like I said no probe so far. The only thing that makes me nervous is the same mah but diff cell count. I thought it made more sense if the mah/cell ratio was the same , meaning a larger 2s. That way each individual cell would be the same mah, not the pack. Hope someone else reads this that can help. Ill post up if I have any problems. So far its been awesome. 4s wasn't enough, 6s too much for my liking
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

Mrmerv76 you are running the two packs in series correctly. You want the mah and C rating rating of the packs to be the same and it is best they are from the same manufacturer. When you get that all matched up you are fine mixing cell counts like you have running a 2s in series with a 3.s to have in effect a 5s pack.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Mrmerv, do you have any problems with aerodynamics running that kind of body?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast