Thread: What if....

RC Competitor

What if....

What if Traxxas' blew all our minds and reintroduced a race car? I'm convinced they could mildly modify the SRT platform and have a competitive stadium truck or short course.

I think the chassis and geometry is fine. All they would need to make it appeal imo is add the MIP 15 Ball Super Diff already available for the Slash...and CVDs, because everyone likes cvd's. Other than that, slightly redesign the steering bellcranks to a modern rack style. Servo could stay the same direction, just add bearing pivots and a new link between them.

For a Short course...a new stretched fiberglass chassis, and everything else as per the SRT.

Wah lah. Two badass competitive cars.

What do you guys think?

RC Competitor
    Maybe, just maybe, a new 25 degree front arm mount, rather than 25 degree caster blocks. That would eliminate the tie-rod to shock tower scrub that exists with the 25 caster blocks and improve steering.

I waited 3 years for a small part like the 1/16 summit light bar to be released after it was announced, so, I seriously doubt they will release any updated vintage trucks, spare parts are gone, bodies, decals, wheels are no longer available. Would be nice though.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Competitor
    I'm going to try and make a steering rack for it. I have a Blitz plastic one lying around and old traxxas bellcranks. Gonna see if they could be combined. Cut the tie rod mounts off the traxxas parts, screw the cross rack part on where the traxxas center link is, and maybe flip the whole thing upside down. Details to follow. I'm almost certain it's not going to be that easy but we shall see.

I'll build my own Super SRT!
    Last edited by Fujative179; 06-06-2014 at 03:29 PM.

He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Competitor
    Did you change the steering rack on that? And to what?

I want it like this.

Last edited by Fujative179; 06-06-2014 at 05:47 PM.

RC Champion
    Traxxas SRB Stadium Racing Buggy
    I build a few years ago, same size as a LCG Slash

Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Competitor
    I'm not smart enough to figure out a full on SRB like that.

I test fitted the Blitz rack when I got home last night, the pivot points are way too tight to work on those old school wide bell cranks, but I have a feeling an 8th scale one might, maybe off an Inferno or something. Gonna check around the tracks and hobby shops to see what I can test fit.

RC Racer
    That'd be rad. Not gonna happen though. Besides, they should start with the Bullet or the Blue Eagle. Get the Radicator with the graphite chassis and the 2:72 trans going. Then drop the TRX1 with a double deck, big bores, an under tray, cva's, updated slipper, and Ti pins and buckles.....But I see where you're coming from. Gotta be marketable to a bigger crowd. Unless the vintage racing circuit blows up....? But you're talkin' bout tweaking a legacy platform and bringing it back better, stronger, faster, like the $6,000,000 Man. I like it.

You could use the forum here to guess the likelyhood of a re-release. Look at the vintage posts compared to the Slash & Revo, etc. stuff.

Hoping in Oregon,

Mark

RC Competitor
    Oh and new holes in the rear shock tower for a solid wing mount. Do away with wires. On the TRX3 anyway*
    Last edited by Fujative179; 06-08-2014 at 05:10 PM.

The SRT has a number of issues that would need to be addressed to make this a national champion again...

-The suspension arms are short, and the bulkheads are wide. This makes the truck not as smooth as a narrow bulkeaded, wide armed truck. It also stresses the outer corners.

-It isn't terribly adjustable. Whip out a drill and fix that!

-The chassis is heavy resulting in less finesse then a carbon or composite chassis vehicle.

-The gearbox has gears of high rotating mass.

Don't get me wrong. You can still do this Super SRT. Against all odds, I'm racing a Rustler (Project 70) that is very competitive, and it shares some of these issues.

Traxxas would need to design a whole new truck. SRT.2 maybe?
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Competitor
    It doesn't need to be a national champion caliber to be competitive on the club circuit. Look at the range of short course trucks available right now. On the club scene you got your Losi and Associateds, through the Slash, all the way down to ECX, Helion etc. and I've seen some really fast slashes at the track. It takes work and patience but these other cars CAN compete for the average Joe.

To counter your points, I offer the Pro-Line Pro 2 SC and Buggy. There are a few of these at my local tracks and tgey can keep up with SC10B's just fine, short arms and all.

The whole 1/10 industry is moving back to stiffer heavier aluminum chassis'. Even traditionaly light 1/10 buggies. I believe both the 22 and new RB6 as well as Yokomo Bmax are Aluminum. Why not Fiberglass?

High rotating mass gears I say are a non-issue with modern power. Plus like I said use the MIP Super Diff. May weigh less than Traxxas Pro Diff, and better reliability. Fill the rest of the tranny up with Delrin gears.

Also regarding the tranny...now that I've learned that A&L Slipper is still available...throw that on there too. Ditch the friction slipper pegs.

Regarding adjustibility...there were a whole slew of cars that went simple in the later 90's. Making tuning easier or less confusing to some. Only on recent cars have all the holes made their way back. Could be personal taste. The rear bulk head has plenty of holes, the arms have enough. Only the shock towers need more.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    The SRT has a number of issues that would need to be addressed to make this a national champion again...

-The suspension arms are short, and the bulkheads are wide. This makes the truck not as smooth as a narrow bulkeaded, wide armed truck. It also stresses the outer corners.

-It isn't terribly adjustable. Whip out a drill and fix that!

-The chassis is heavy resulting in less finesse then a carbon or composite chassis vehicle.

-The gearbox has gears of high rotating mass.

Don't get me wrong. You can still do this Super SRT. Against all odds, I'm racing a Rustler (Project 70) that is very competitive, and it shares some of these issues.

Traxxas would need to design a whole new truck. SRT.2 maybe?
    Shorter a-arms longer arm mounts result in a faster responsive suspension. And everything else you mentioned is actually a problem with the Rustler...not the SRT haha. The SRT chassis is one of the lightest I have owned and there is zero flex might I add. The gears are also not a issue as Traxxas did offer machined gears for the transmission. I'm currently using the Delrin top and diff (super rare) and Aluminum idler gear and the transmission is silky smooth. Even still, the Nylon diff gear isn't that much larger then the diff gears used in a T4 or 22T. The only problem with the SRT is really steering geometry. But it's still a great handling truck once you have it set for the track.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 06-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    Or just a street racer like the spirit making a comeback
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong