Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Enthusiast
    Geo:
    Could the jello affect be caused by the class of card? I would suggest a class 10 (now called UHS-I Grade1).

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rdw50 View Post
    Geo:
    Could the jello affect be caused by the class of card? I would suggest a class 10 (now called UHS-I Grade1).
    I was using the same card. That was the 8gb class 4. The 16 I have looks like this, but has what looks like a 1 inside a U, not a 10 inside a C. I used both on the first outing and the video was the same for both.
    I don't think you need a ton of space, the two packs I ran used 1gb. The file format is .avi

Did it jello on the original or just upon YouTube upload & processing?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    thanks Geo... Bret is getting the cam summer trip resolved, just means I have to keep waiting a little longer. no biggie as I am waiting for my Boca bearings so the time frame works out. lol... yeah pics of the ocean would be nice, or maybe a nice post card from it, hahahaha .

yep, the new parts nailed it on your video. that was a very nice flight and the video looked very smooth and stable... nicely done with the sunrise . one thing I forgot to ask is does this camera allow for multiple videos? I am assuming you can stop one and start another if it allows for pics and videos to be done on a single flight.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Did it jello on the original or just upon YouTube upload & processing?
    It was jelloed on the original, nothing changed on the upload. Beat up props, old motors, and a windy day weren't exactly the best thing to go up with.

spoonerrw: Yep, start and stop from the transmitter with the aux. Change packs and go up again, it just adds more files to the folder.

RC Qualifier
    perfect Geo... thanks .

RC poster
    So the quality of the recording is pretty good then? How does it fly with the added weight? Is it centered on the quad well?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chicomathrc View Post
    So the quality of the recording is pretty good then? How does it fly with the added weight? Is it centered on the quad well?
    I'm no expert, but it looked better than most. Certainly better than the eflight camera. The white balance is what I find really impressive.

Found my scale, camera weighs 15grams.

It flys well, only lost a little flight time. It's balanced well, I would make sure that the rest of the quad is working well though.

RC Qualifier
    mine arrived today. it is on and programmed. now just have to wait, take it out, and do some testing with it. mine mounted has a good 1/4" of clearance with a little less at the light and lens guard. plenty enough room to add my Velcro dots for scratch protection, but would really like to see 1/2" of clearance with some kind of extended rubber feet. I will work on that and see what I can find to work with.
    a Buddy of mine who has been testing his learned the hard way that the connector on the camera is not attached or glued to the camera. if you have to remove the camera, be very careful. the connector may stick to the pins and pull its wires out of the camera. he resolved this with a drop of CA to the plug where it rides in its mount of the camera. I did this before I even put it on as mine was so loose that it wasn't even all the way in its holder. easily resolved .
    I did some pics and a few short videos here in the house, but it is late and I could not turn on any real lighting without waking folks here up. the pics were all very blurry, but again... lighting was very low. the videos were really good, some color matching problems due to the lighting, but the video itself was very stable with no jello. balance was perfect, lifting with set of first run stock motors was no issue at all. I love the design and I am very happy with the fact that it is made to fit. I also am very happy with the fact that pics and videos can be done right from the Tx. this should work out very nicely.
    now, since Traxxas values the feedback of their customers, and we are all here to help each other as well as help them with ideas and input designed to enhance their products as well as our experiences with them... I need to offer an observation with regard to the lens itself.
    the lens floats loosely in its mount. with the interface cable bundled right behind it, this is causing the lens of mine to move on its own from the position i set it to on the slightest jar. if flying in wind, or in conditions where the Alias might get jarred around, this lens has the possibility of moving on its own and potentially "jittering" in flight. when I point mine down and let it go... it springs back up... it is that loose. if you experience jello or picture blurriness, this can be a certain cause of it and it may not happen all the time. it is possible that it is just mine and I will find a way to resolve it, but I at least wanted to share this so that the folks at Traxxas are aware of it as well as all of you .

RC Qualifier
    here is mine...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    my solution to the loose lens for now is a simple one. I cut two very narrow strips of black electrical tape just long enough to go around the pivot arms and wrapped each pivot then re-assembled the case. it was very tedious to do, but the lens stay where I put it, when I put it there now. it may also provide a little protection from vibration, but my interest is just keeping it where I set it. I also had to switch out all the screws for the case and the mount. I do not know what size they are, but my Alias 1.5mm allen wrench just spun around inside of all of them? my 1/16th inch allen wrench is the one that got them out... strange.
    I will update when I can get out to fly it and the camera .

RC Racer
    I've run into that 1.5mm & 1/16" hex driver thing before. Hex bits are often a thou or two undersize and when the socket gets that small it sometimes results in what you experienced. Often only the very ends are undersized and they can be improved by a little end-grinding. Or you can search out full nominal size tools. I've found a couple. Plus, as you discovered, 1/16 is about 3 thou bigger than 1.5mm.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    I've run into that 1.5mm & 1/16" hex driver thing before. Hex bits are often a thou or two undersize and when the socket gets that small it sometimes results in what you experienced. Often only the very ends are undersized and they can be improved by a little end-grinding. Or you can search out full nominal size tools. I've found a couple. Plus, as you discovered, 1/16 is about 3 thou bigger than 1.5mm.
    yeah, I run in to this more often than not. these are definitely not 1.5mm unless they were defective from the start? when the first one spun, I used my new 1.5mm and it spun too. the 1/16" seem to fit perfectly. no big deal, I got plenty of extra frame screws and took care of it .

RC Racer
    That's fine, but my point was even new tools are more often undersize than not. I found some tool lines at Associated and another line at McMaster where the tip of the tool is 100% the nominal size. Most are not.

But you're right...the problem can be with tolerances on the screws too. Your solution is an easy one.

RC Qualifier
    it is overcast here today with light wind, but the rain stopped long enough for me to take it out. I did 21 stills and 5 videos split between exp1 and expert mode. in exp1 mode I had the rates set at 85/65 and in expert mode my usual 95/85 rates. all 21 stills were pretty much perfect. some were stationary, some were in forward flight and in both cases, no blurred images. I was a bit surprised by this because the wind was working the Alias pretty good at times.
    here is one still from expert mode, and they were all this nice. I had my angle set to low, so many were nice shots of the grass when I was near the ground... I reset the angle after the two flights.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    with the two videos, there was a little jello here and there, but I expected it. it was pretty minor though and was surprised at how minor with flying in wind. it will take most of the day to upload those two videos... youtube running at a crawl today, but will post them once they are done. I also put it through the whole run of stunts and I am happy to say that its balance is perfect. recovery from stunts was not really any different then without the camera, and I saw no loss of lift or performance with it being there.
    this white one has all new parts on it, including the blue mainshafts and I am running it with a first run set of Traxxas motors.
    as well as it did on a day like this, I will be anxious to go out and try it on a calm and sunny day .
    I had all but lost my interest in aerial video stuff, but this camera has re-peaked my interest again .

I like this camera!

RC Qualifier
    this is the third video from yesterday. flown in expert mode with the rates at 95/85.

I am very happy with this cam, it does a very nice job. balance and performance was perfect. flight times were no different than I usually get. recovery from stunts was effortless. the cam has a little trouble adjusting to light changes, and wind or hard flying causes a little bit of jello but the truth is that most fly cams to take pictures and videos from calm conditions and a passive approach and that is where this cam does extremely well. even in harsher conditions, what jello there is, is very minor.

RC Qualifier
    you try the 120* lens yet?
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    no, with the shield of the lens having little to no clearance with the ground, right on the ground if tilted down, I am concerned that an impact of even light nature would damage the lens. Traxxas needs to offer a set of extended rubber feet for this one, but I am looking at other options too. I am thinking that four pencil erasers, carefully notched to mimic the rubber feet, then pressed in the same way just might work? they would be small, look nice, give the needed clearance, and offer some amount of passive suppressive absorption on landings. the fact that they are erasers, you can get different colors and just "erase" something to round off the landing tips .
    the standard lens actually works perfectly for my uses, but if I can resolve the clearance issue, I will give one a try .

... I just made one, and it looks/fits perfectly adding 1/2" of clearance to the light tube. I still have to test its fit with the motor bottom, and will do that with some spare parts tonight after work along with how I did it after I know everything fits the way it needs to. I will post a pic as well .
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 07-22-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: additional information

RC Qualifier
    why not just take off and land from your hand?

I have been doing that since day one and I still have all of my fingers. (Also still on all of the original motors, bought alias 2/14/2014)
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    why not just take off and land from your hand?

I have been doing that since day one and I still have all of my fingers. (Also still on all of the original motors, bought alias 2/14/2014)
    I have seen videos of you guys doing this, and it is pretty cool, but it is not for me. I prefer to keep my body separated from rotating masses that can cause injury, lol. when I first started in this side of the aerial hobby, the many people who mentored me all had the same philosophy, and it came down to a simple rule that they all impressed upon me...

"no matter how big or small it is, it has the potential to cause injury, serious injury, or death. when you lose respect for that potential... someone usually and eventually gets hurt."

anything can happen at any time, and I guess that was the point they all were making to me, and when you think about it... something as simple as a rotor screw being loose or stripped can send a rotor blade soaring at your face at 15,000 rpm's. it doesn't matter how small the rotor is... it is going to do some damage . do not mis-understand however... to each their own, this is just what I personally chose to do in order to be as safe as I can for myself, as well as anyone around me .

I will have to post the pic tomorrow of what I did. I have a sick dryer to deal with at 1am, sadly.

RC Qualifier
    here is what I came up with for extended feet. these will work and are easy to make, but I am looking for some kind of true rubber solid stick about the size of a #2 pencil which would be more durable I think?
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    after a trip to the hardware store, and not finding any kind of suitable rubber sticks... this is what I came up with...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I picked up these little white 1/2" bolt thread protectors for 20 cents a piece. I found a cheap pack of mechanical pencils at the dollar store that came with extra erasers for 2 dollars. I took my hobby file on its edge, made the channels, cut off one side of the tab, then worked it in the light tube carefully with an o-ring pick. pushed on the bolt thread protector over the eraser all the way up to the light tube, and done! since these light tubes are so cheap, and this will only be on the Alias with the camera, I CA'd around where the bolt protector meets the light tube, as well as inside around the tab for re-inforcement. they are pretty strong and since this Alias will not be getting rough housed around... they should hold up very well, time will tell. I still have to do the blue tubes, but these will give the Alias 1/2" of clearance, plenty of room for either lens to point down their full range without touching the ground. also, since the bolt protectors are dome shaped... there is a gap inside between the end of the eraser, and the end of the dome which allows for some passive suppression. that ended up being an added plus that I wasn't expecting . I also checked the fit with a spare frame and motor, and it is perfect.
    basically... it cost me 25 cents each to make these, and they look nice as well. . when i have all four done, i will post a pic of them installed on the white Alias.

I like the ingenuity very much. Do you think filling the bolt protectors with silicone, like caulk, and then placing them onto the lenses to let the silicone flow into the groove, would be a viable option? That should also get you some "passive suppression" at the dome, but the real question is whether the silicone is strong enough to stay in place.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I like the ingenuity very much. Do you think filling the bolt protectors with silicone, like caulk, and then placing them onto the lenses to let the silicone flow into the groove, would be a viable option? That should also get you some "passive suppression" at the dome, but the real question is whether the silicone is strong enough to stay in place.
    thanks . getting them to stay in place while they cure would be a factor, but you could always hold them with a piece of tape or just let them sit upside down. you would also have to make sure that it doesn't rise too much and flatten them to make sure they don't put too much pressure on the motor wires, easy enough to do as well. silicone adhesive might be the stuff to use here? Loctite makes one that is really strong when it cures, and it sets fairly fast. it would eliminate the need for using CA. since cameras are meant to be flown in a paced and mild manner, yeah, I don't see why any of these wouldn't work ? nice alternative idea!

RC poster
    Very nice! I think I'm going to give your mod a shot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirock7 View Post
    Very nice! I think I'm going to give your mod a shot!
    it is pretty easy to do . check out the thread i started for this... there are a couple of ideas in there you might want to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    it is pretty easy to do . check out the thread i started for this... there are a couple of ideas in there you might want to consider?
    Here's the link:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9010601

RC Enthusiast
    I got my camera today from Tower hobbies online. It does not have much clearance! Thanks for the great idea SPOONERRW. I think we have to add taller feet or your asking for trouble. I will post videos, etc. when I get it all going.
    ------
    Alias w/ camera, 1/16 Summit, Stampede.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tom2go View Post
    I got my camera today from Tower hobbies online. It does not have much clearance! Thanks for the great idea SPOONERRW. I think we have to add taller feet or your asking for trouble. I will post videos, etc. when I get it all going.
    you are welcome . just tested mine and it works great! the camera doesn't even come close to the ground now . check out the thread that ksb51rl linked above... all the details are in there along with a couple other ideas. figure if we keep all the ideas in there, anyone looking for a solution will be able to find them all in one place .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12