RC Racer

which castle waterproof motor/esc combo ?

so many options. i don't need MM power, i was thinking the sidewinder ? is the SCT package the way to go ? if so, which combo, kv etc ? im confused by the numbers.

essentials:
    waterproof
    no thermals
    more power than existing, acceleration mainly
    a bit more top end would be nice

i will be running it on 2s and maybe on 3s on a rare occasion. its a bashing vehicle. i don't want to rebuild much so im hoping the motor/esc is just a swap in and swap out without any vehicle mods.

while im at it, also looking for a better servo to take the increased speed. recommendations ? again, waterproof is essential.

thanks for the help.

the only wp combos i can think of are the sidewinder 8th and the sidwider with the 3800kv. since u want to run 2s that pretty much narrows it down to the 3800kv combo

RC Racer

yeah i think thats it. here is the ebay link, but idk if u can buy from there since you are in AU. this combo will run pretty similar to the vxl system, but will be a stronger and not get as hot. the mmp 2400kv is very popular but not wp, then there is the sidewinder 8th system that is wp, but im not sure if it will drop into a rally without modding the chassis or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item58a663098e

RC Racer
    thanks, whats the advantage of the 5mm shaft version ? and if i get that one does it mean i need to buy anything new for it ? pinion gear etc ?

RC Racer
    And am I going to notice a performance improvement ?

RC Champion
    You will need new 5mm pinions for the 5mm shaft motor.

The SCT is a good option if you plan to stick to 2's with the occasional 3s duty.

RC Competitor
    Just another though is the Dynamite Fuze 3900kv with ESC 130amp combo. It is a 4pole motor does really nice on 2s and has 4s capability. They can be had on ebay for 160 shipped and have seen the combo as low as 119.00 at other RC outlets.

RC Racer

which castle waterproof motor/esc combo ?

Thanks, I ended up going with the sidewinder thru towerhobbies. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Standard shaft, I don't want to have to worry about new pinioned etc. I like having most things interchangeable with all our trucks.

yeah thats a good idea. only reason i can see you would want a 5mm over 3mm is if u were wanting to use mod 1 pinion and get close to 1:1 for high speed runs.

RC Champion
    New hardware is always nice!

RC Racer
    ok, so i got the combo, trying to figure out how to get this in there.

it came with some connectors in the box aswell as another pack of 4mm bullet connectors like this:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEAWA

20140619-DSC_2813 by .Chris.K, on Flickr

what are they for ?

i mean the motor comes with the 3 wires with bullet connectors on them like this:
    20140619-DSC_2818 by .Chris.K, on Flickr

dont they just plug right into the ESC like this:
    20140619-DSC_2819 by .Chris.K, on Flickr

not quite following what to do with all these connectors ??
    and does it matter where the wires from the motor plug into on the ESC ? there is no labeling on the ESC at all so i guess it doesn't matter ??
    also, can i buy any sort of mounting plate to screw it into the chassis ?

thanks for your help.

The green connectors are supposed to connect the battery to the ESC (you can use different connectors tho). You connected the motor to the ESC the right way.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    Right, so the green ones I don't need to worry about cos I just solder my traxxas connector onto those wires right ?
    So it does make a difference which way the wires go in ? You would have thought they'd have labelled the esc.

RC Racer
    Would also have thought the esc terminals would have been protected somehow aswell. Just being exposed like that...won't they suffer from the water/dirt/mud etc ?

RC Qualifier
    The ESC isn't labeled because it doesn't matter which order they are connected. Even though we are dealing with DC. The voltage being supplied to the motor across the 3 wires is somewhat sinusoidal like a 3 phase ac signal.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.k View Post
    Right, so the green ones I don't need to worry about cos I just solder my traxxas connector onto those wires right ?
    So it does make a difference which way the wires go in ? You would have thought they'd have labelled the esc.
    The motor wires makes a difference. You can end up with the motor turning the wrong way. That can be solved by swapping any pair of the 3 wires.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.k View Post
    Would also have thought the esc terminals would have been protected somehow aswell. Just being exposed like that...won't they suffer from the water/dirt/mud etc ?
    You could shrink wrap the outside of the connectors on the ESC, but I don't think the metal on the outside of the connectors will suffer from a bit water or mud.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    Thank you guys