Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Competitor
    Probably just gonna wait. Even if I go and cancel with RMRC I'm still going to be waiting on the goggles. Ordered those from Hobby King and no news on those yet either.

RC Competitor
    I did post to the RMRC section of FPVLAB.com and this was the answer I got:

I want one these as well! I spoke with Tim and they are supposed to be on the way to us soon. We don't have tracking on it yet, so I cannot give an expected date. <br/>

RC Competitor

RC Enthusiast
    Well, at least that's a hopeful response. I hope your goggles come in soon as well.

RC Competitor
    Thanks, will post once I have something to post about, lol.

RC Competitor

Waiting for my goggles to show up.

Gonna see how I like it on top.... buddy of mine is going to 3-D print me a mount to try out mounting on the bottom as well.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:232312

Plus legs for ground clearance.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:398348

Should be interesting. The current setup doesn't look very crash friendly so may have to add some tape or something. Was trying to keep the stickyness to a minimum.

RC Competitor

I also looked at this method, since I won't be using the Traxxas camera and since it mounts so nicely.... but now that my friend is going to print one guess I'll put this back together. I did try this method out and it's what made me realize I'd need the leg extensions.

I do believe your FPV system is using a WiFi Signal correct?

If so I highly recommend using a WiFi Repeater as a go between, you'll get better video rates and much longer distance...

Since Most home WiFi routers/Repeaters are 12 volts a small gell cell 12 volt battery makes it portable, and then you can place it up high and un-obstructed by buildings, trees etc. for best range and results.

Many articles on how to use DD-WRT to turn most routers into good repeaters... I prefer the ones with external antennas myself. They usually have the best range.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    It's not wifi, see below;

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=2861

The range will be short though for sure but this will be my trainer so I don't crash up my current build (that's not done yet)

RC Enthusiast
    Mr. Clean,

That is a great looking rig. Looks like you've got some vibration dampening foam in there too. You may find that it is not necessary since this system is only broadcasting low-res video to your goggles and not recording in high-def. Then again, it may help clean up the picture. Let me know.

You've got some nice accessories picked out too with those 3D printed items. Very cool.

One thing you MUST do is tie a thread from your antenna to the quad. I will pop off in a crash. I lost mine a couple times before learning my lesson. Found it both times but the second time it had gotten stepped on.

I would also be concerned about all your equipment mounted up so high where it could get damaged in a crash. That's why the belly seems like a good safe place.

* For those of you who do not have FPV goggles yet and are looking for a cheap way to get into the game, there are some very inexpensive DIY FPV goggle kits for around $30. With this kit (and a little time assembling) and a separate receiver and power source, you've got your FPV goggles for around $100.
    Last edited by Zigga; 10-09-2014 at 07:50 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigga View Post
    Mr. Clean,

That is a great looking rig. Looks like you've got some vibration dampening foam in there too. You may find that it is not necessary since this system is only broadcasting low-res video to your goggles and not recording in high-def. Then again, it may help clean up the picture. Let me know.

You've got some nice accessories picked out too with those 3D printed items. Very cool.

One thing you MUST do is tie a thread from your antenna to the quad. I will pop off in a crash. I lost mine a couple times before learning my lesson. Found it both times but the second time it had gotten stepped on.

I would also be concerned about all your equipment mounted up so high where it could get damaged in a crash. That's why the belly seems like a good safe place.

* For those of you who do not have FPV goggles yet and are looking for a cheap way to get into the game, there are some very inexpensive DIY FPV goggle kits for around $30. With this kit (and a little time assembling) and a separate receiver and power source, you've got your FPV goggles for around $100.
    I too was worried about stuff flying off so I did a test today after work.

http://youtu.be/i3T6S9LfFdQ

Tomorrow a friend is going to let me barrow some goggles. I'm so excited!

RC Enthusiast
    Nice test run. Was that a triple flip you were attempting? The FPV components are lightweight but they do dampen the recovery after doing tricks. That being said, I would strongly recommend doing your next flights over a nice big grassy field. It would really stink to have waited so long and invested so much into your FPV rig to break something with a solid hit onto pavement.

I'm excited to hear your report after you try it out with your buddy's goggles. Remember, it may not work instantly. You will likely have to adjust the frequency on the transmitter and/or on the goggles (receiver).

Come back with some good news and a smile.

Im just getting into flying and am jumping on the fpv band wagon.

quick question , why did you go 5.8ghz instead of 1.2/1.3ghz?

I have some fatsharks coming (in line like all the others) for the time being I purchased a 5.8ghz receiver and a 1.2ghz receiver.

Not wanting to waste more money, trying to decide between the clearer 5.8ghz or the more penetrating 1..2ghz pico system

any suggestion?
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Competitor
    Nice test run. Was that a triple flip you were attempting? The FPV components are lightweight but they do dampen the recovery after doing tricks. That being said, I would strongly recommend doing your next flights over a nice big grassy field. It would really stink to have waited so long and invested so much into your FPV rig to break something with a solid hit onto pavement.

I'm excited to hear your report after you try it out with your buddy's goggles. Remember, it may not work instantly. You will likely have to adjust the frequency on the transmitter and/or on the goggles (receiver).

Come back with some good news and a smile.
    Ya, I have the Aux 1 and Aux 2 programmed to do different flips and I figured if something didn't fly off while doing multiple flips, it might stay, the crash wasn't a planned part of the test (as they never are) but the result showed everything stays so that's was nice. But very good point, over grass not pavement, lol... was too excited to try it out, been thinkin bout it all day at work.... and ya, that's exactly what happened, did the trick and the quad fell from the sky wobbling the entire way down trying to recover.... but the second time I decended a little differently away from the flip and it worked out, once again I was "trying" to make stuff fly off mainly......

today is in jepordy, :-( tons-o-rain last night and expected till lunchtime..... club fly day may get rescheduled....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Im just getting into flying and am jumping on the fpv band wagon.

quick question , why did you go 5.8ghz instead of 1.2/1.3ghz?
    it's what was available for me, I am limited on size for the Alias and therefor have to get the lightest and smallest I could find. Zigga made it easy and found it for us all, lol....

I have some fatsharks coming (in line like all the others) for the time being I purchased a 5.8ghz receiver and a 1.2ghz receiver.

Not wanting to waste more money, trying to decide between the clearer 5.8ghz or the more penetrating 1..2ghz pico system

any suggestion?
    gonna be doing long range flights? that's usually what I've seen go hand in hand with lower frequencies..... plus I think I've seen the lower frequency transmitters draw more power therefore shortening flight times??? I too am pretty new to all this and you know everything on the internet is true so I think this is stuff I've read. But you already mentioned the two main aspects of each.

just from a purchasing standpoint in my opinion 5.8 is more readily available. And therefore easier for newbies like me.
    Last edited by mrclean1972; 10-11-2014 at 07:34 AM. Reason: addition

Ok just purchased the 5.8ghz system,

more waiting.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Enthusiast
    I believe that is correct about the lower frequency transmitters requiring more power to run them. The 5.8ghz system has a few things going for it: Lightweight, very small, can be run off of the same battery as the Alias, uses a very small antenna (again, I believe the lower bands use larger antennas) and the signal breakup from the meager 25mW video transmitter serves as a good reminder that you're getting near the limits of the Alias controller transmitter and it's time to turn back before you lose your signal and drop into some trees.

RC Competitor
    Had to remove all that foam, video was way too shakey.

Wow, ordered the 5.8ghz system on Saturday, tuesday its at my door.

The stupid part is the fact im still waiting on the fatsharks and the 5.8ghz receiver.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Ya, same here. still waiting.

RC Competitor
    So been a fun time. Found FPV is not as easy as the Internet makes it look. I'd love to show my antics with a video but wasn't able to find suitable power along with a wide open field.

Sadly I lost my antenna today. I had it tied with some fishing line but it may have been too long.... I had been through at least a dozen batteries without issue but today I got upside down and I'm thinking the line might have been blown into a prop. If you look closely at the connection point it appears the coax has been pulled out of the crimp.

It's out here somewhere, lol.

RC Competitor
    Sooooo.... here's version two.

RC Competitor

RC Competitor
    Already snapped a leg but super glue loves this plastic stuff. Looks like my buddy will be getting another order soon.

Going to try to post a video before the weekend is over.

RC Champion
    This is sick! I've just been watching some of the fpv videos of other guys and that's awesome. How much of a video lag is there? I would love to do this but $550 is a steap buy in price since I already have an alias coming in the mail.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Competitor
    Well... it's not that bad.
    $150 - Alias
    $109 - FPV combo from RMRC.com
    $175 - I bought some Fatshark Predator V2's from my friend. (Who also has a 3-D printer.)

RC Competitor
    And no, there's no lag. It's real time.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice job on the rebuild. I see you're making use of the 3D printed undercarriage. How's that work out? I might like to get one.

That's too bad about losing your clover antenna. Really stinks. They are available as a separate purchase but I think they're like $20. How does the whip antenna work? I've never tried mine.

And hey, I think I've found a much cheaper way to get an Alias to go FPV. Check out the post near the bottom of this page on RC Groups, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...30185&page=314. This guy is using a Walkera Tx5805 module as a complete camera/video transmitter combo. From what he says, it works pretty well. And he tapped right into the power through the accessory connector on the bottom of the Alias. Very clever. I ordered one last night for just $48 including shipping from HK.

And for goggles, you can go super cheap with a kit to build your own (Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set with Monitor) also from HK. Just $30 and a little time to assemble. So then I think the only thing you need is a video receiver module to plug into the goggles and a power source. I haven't done all the shopping to figure out everything that is needed and compatible, but this is a good start for a tight budget.

RC Champion
    Lol man this stuff adds up quick. Tech is moving so fast. Late 2000s and none of this was available to the public. I think I may fly the heck out of the alias before I jump into something this huge.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

Progress

Got tired of waiting for the fat shark HD so I brought a used pair of dominators for now.

Packed all the video gear in a small box and attached to the alias. With zip ties

Worked but it would smack the ground with each landing. So I lightened the box by cutting holes in it and added a landing gear.

Flies ok for 2 minutes then looses power.

Too heavy.

Next battle plan.
    1) kill the box idea
    2) zip tie the camera below the alias
    3) place the video transmitter INSIDE the alias. I notice there is a bit of space under the top.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    I like that landing gear, is that a coathanger? How is it attached?

Went for light fast and cheap

average everyday coat hanger. Zip tied to the bottom. Added the erasers for effect, but I knew they would be too heavy
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-19-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor

average everyday coat hanger. Zip tied to the bottom. Added the erasers for effect, but I knew they would be too heavy
    this is why I read the forums, never woulda thunk it... did you use anything special to make nice bends? Might be a challenge for me, nuthin but plastic hangers in this house, lol....

RC Enthusiast
    I'm tellin' ya, a little bit of electrical tape works well for holding stuff onto the Alias and it's lightweight. I haven't had any problems with ground clearance either.

If you are able to stick the transmitter under the Alias canopy, what type of antenna would you use and where would you put it? If you're using the AltitudeRD transmitter with the whip antenna I guess you might be able to coil it up.

Bends via a rusty pair of needle nose pliers and some pretty good eyeballing.

Im still gonna use the clover leaf. If push comes to shove I'll drill a hole or two. I am beyond beautification, I just wanna fly.
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-19-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    I'm tellin' ya, a little bit of electrical tape works well for holding stuff onto the Alias and it's lightweight.
    you don't have issues with gooieness? I'm down here in TX and altho it's fall now, the Texas heat does a number on tape, electrical tape especially.

Im down in Texas also. A good zip tie lasts forever. I just purchased a pack of 30 mini ties from the dollar store for. . . .

$1

So I can cut em off and readjust to my hearts content.
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-19-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Bends via a rusty pair of needle nose pliers and some pretty good eyeballing.
    think I might give this some expiramenting. my 3D printed legs didn't go so well. One snapped pretty early on, so I got out the super glue... then another broke, more glue... then I got the bright idea to pre-glue all 4 at their thin point for reinforcement..... well.... glue spreads..... so last night I take it out to try to fly again and a motor isn't working...... so then I get to trying to get to the motor and I find all 4 of the plastic lenses are superglued to the frame.....

so my weekend was ended with three orders....
    New frame from traxxas (ordered the black chrome why not, lol)
    new motors from micro motor warehouse
    new clover leaf from RMRC

RC Competitor
    Im down in Texas also. A good zip tie lasts forever.
    what part? DFW for me.

El Paso, on a clear day I can throw a rock into Mexico.

New cloverleaf. Ouch. I feel for you.

Outside the pack they jack up the price for the antennae. I think its $20 or $30 alone.

Try that whip antennae first to see if you really need the clover leaf.

I only had a straight antennae for my fat sharks and was about to buy a $45 clover for the glasses but just decided to try that big ole straight antennae and it worked.
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-19-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast