Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Champion
    I guess Houston area is somewhere in the middle? Lol yea electrical tape doesn't hold well when all you have is surplus from the 80s when my dad was a self claimed mechanic, electrician, and superman..... I like the landing gear tho. I don't think it will be necessary without the camera though.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Enthusiast
    That stinks about the glue going everywhere. Lesson learned for us all. Thank you.

Tape gooeyness might be an issue in Texas. Not so much up here in New Hampshire. Go with whatever works.

Banggood has a nice clover receiver antenna for your goggles, only $6.29. http://www.banggood.com/5_8G-4-Leave...a-p-73559.html. I use it on my Skyzones.

Thanks for the antennae link. Nice price.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

So I removed the canopy and attempted to put the vtx below the frame (cage). But it wouldn't fit with the protective plastic sleeve on. I could have removed the sleeve but then I would have had metal to metal contacts and possible shorted circuits. Spacing was about 2-3 mm too tight.

So I decided to put the vtx on top of the frame, but below the canopy. I needed to shave the frame a little with my dremel for proper fitting. Everything was about 2-3 mm too tight. But with no circuitry to worry about it was acceptable.

After shaving the cage I attached the vtx to the underside of the canopy with a zip tie. I also tapped into the alias power cables and soldered the vtx directly to them, allowing me to discard a lot of long wiring and also to get rid if that heavy "Y" power splitter cable.

Got rid of all the "Junk in the trunk"

Drilled a hole in the canopy for the antennae to poke out of then I closed it back up.

A stock alias can hover at approximately 45% throttle, my original set up hovered at 70% throttle. My current set up hovers at 53%. I am considering undoing the landing gear and just extending those little rubber nubs.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Man, it all looks really good.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, it does look very nice. I can foresee a potential problem though. When the Alias has a hard landing and the antenna comes loose from the transmitter, are you able to easily reattach it or do you have to completely take of the canopy to gain access to the little plug on the transmitter board?

Re attaching the antenna on my alias is easy. The canopy is CUSTOMIZED for easy access. It has a few holes in the top, a deep cut near the rear, a break on the left and a couple of long cracks on the right. The ability to bend 90 degrees in ANY given direction.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor

For me, it almost looked like the crimp came UNcrimped. So I've been thinking about adding some heatshrink. Like snap it in place then slide the shrink over the crimp AND the tip of the board. Seems it would make it more solid. Can't think of why I would need to change it often. ....

Bad idea?

RC Competitor
    Also can you post a pic of where you tapped into the board power? Mainly I was curious which side, same side as the other power wires, or the flip side?

RC Competitor
    .....and while I'm on here, gotta give a high five to RMRC.com, I ordered the clover antenna Friday and got it yesterday. Very fast. Traxxas sent notification last night the new frame, canopy, and props should be here tomorrow. Maybe I'll be flying by the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean1972 View Post
    Also can you post a pic of where you tapped into the board power? Mainly I was curious which side, same side as the other power wires, or the flip side?
    Not really complex. The top of the alias circuit board has two large red/black power wires coming off it. I just stripped a small opening on each , cut and stripped the power wires from the vtx, soldered them in place, then used liqud tape to cover the wire.

MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    I see now, thanks. In my head when you said you soldered, I assumed you meant onto the board itself. I see it now.

YES

Im pumped.

Finally a no wind day. Broke my cloverleaf antenna, ordered 2 more. For the time being I just stuck on the whip antenna and went to the park.

3 batteries. The first one was a practice run. Worked on banked turns and spinning without loosing altitude, and getting used to the feel of the weight of the camera set up.

Next 2 batts. FPV BABY

Practiced flying around my body. Almost hit myself twice. It's so weird seeing yourself standing alone in an open field like an idiot. Especially when YOU approach YOU from the back. You almost want to tap yourself on the shoulder and say "watch out."

The hardest part are the launches. Since you can't see wich way the copter is tipping its best to just give it a lot of thrust and make corrections once your 10+ feet in the air.

Started kinda rocky, almost lost it over a field of cactus. Got disoriented, had to calm down, throttle it up into the air, yank off the goggles and fly my way back into the park.

By the end of the 3rd battery I was flying through the shelters in the picnic area, landing on the basketball court, and hovering above the entire park soaking in a complete 360 degree view from above. HEAVEN

My cloth hanger landing gear may look hideous but it really protected the camera from a lot of hard crashes. It bounces, which when your crashing hard and fast is a very good thing. Just reshaped it and kept flying.

I found myself constly turning my head, attempted to look "around" turns.

Batts are recharged, kids are in school for 1 more hour, so

IM OUT
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-22-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Lol, ya the antenna is fragile, you managed to break it even with it somewhat inside the canopy? Ever since I broke mine I been trying to think of a more protected location. How's the whip working out? I put mine on but since the legs weren't working I never got a flight in.

RC Champion
    Lol that woulda sucked if you landed in the cactus field....
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Competitor
    I meant to ask you guys, are you using stock motors?

Before I ever attempted adding weight to my Alias I switched over to these motors. And since I super glued my motor this past weekend, I had to order new motors. The Dark Editions were out of stock (Altho I got an email today saying they're back in stock) so I ordered the others which are supposed to be "the same" as stock Traxxas motors. (But a little cheaper)

Sooooo, if they are the same then my question would be, How do the stock motors handle the added weight? Specifically in descending as I noticed wobble when descending with the Dark Edition motors occasionally.

Thanks

My clover was perfect, but the tip stuck out the top. It was my plan to tie it down. Planned.

Got lazy, didnt tie it down, got hit by a prop. Im gonna try to resolder it but those connections are tiny.

The whip is long and I had to tape it across the body. I think it works best pointing straight up. Mines sideways. At about 50 - 60 yards it gets pretty staticy.

My main issues was when I got too high as I would come down wind current would rock the alias from side to side. And the video would go in and out in and out as it rocked.

One thing for certain, the weight is no longer a concern. I had troublegetting it back down to earth, I (or the alias) have this tendency to keep going higher and higher and higher.

No video yet (no video recording device) but my next goggles will have a built in video recorder.

Kids are home. Time for homework.
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-22-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

I meant to ask you guys, are you using stock motors?

Before I ever attempted adding weight to my Alias I switched over to these motors. And since I super glued my motor this past weekend, I had to order new motors. The Dark Editions were out of stock (Altho I got an email today saying they're back in stock) so I ordered the others which are supposed to be "the same" as stock Traxxas motors. (But a little cheaper)

Sooooo, if they are the same then my question would be, How do the stock motors handle the added weight? Specifically in descending as I noticed wobble when descending with the Dark Edition motors occasionally.

Thanks
    Like I stated earlier, the stock alias (stock motors, stock weight) will hover at approximately 45% throttle. With my current set up ( stock motors, video tx, camera, wire coat hanger as landing gear) it hovers at 53% but once your airborn and flying you dont notice it. Only difference is near the last minut of battery flight time it lifts sluggishly. But thats only with a dying battery. Fully charged it's up up and away.

Descending from heights, I get the rocking/ wobbles. I thought it was wind currents or the copter just simply too light. But I think I may have had the throttlenall the way on zero. I was high up and was afraid it was gonna get away.

But yes with high heights and fast descents it wobbles. But normal flying (below the tree tops) its fairly steady.
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-22-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    YES

Im pumped.

Finally a no wind day...

Batts are recharged, kids are in school for 1 more hour, so

IM OUT
    Great story, Noir. Felt like I was there with you. It's a great feeling flying this thing from the cockpit.

I'm still using the cheapo $4 motors from Banggood in my FPV Alias. Haven't bothered to change them out to the higher torque 17s from MMWH. They work well enough (and they sip the battery rather than gulp like the 17s) but I'd like to try the dark side soon.

Rather than reducing throttle and descending straight down where you get the wobbles, try just nosing down and going into a steep dive, then banking around to the right or left as you level off near the bottom. It's awesome and much smoother.

I have a hard time standing while FPVing so I usually sit (to avoid tipping over). And I always find myself tipping my head back trying to get a better forward view from the camera. Doesn't work. For an added weird experience try this. Hover the quad behind and just above yourself while watching yourself through the camera, then try walking around while navigating yourself from the third-person perspective. It is very strange.

RC Competitor
    Ok, somehow I've managed to really hose things up. Check this out:

http://youtu.be/ejf8m7dVi6o

RC Competitor
    Ok, somehow I've managed to really hose things up. Check this out:

http://youtu.be/ejf8m7dVi6o
    And I did several Accelerometer resets

Swap your rotors left to right, lol.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Swap your rotors left to right, lol.
    Ok, you rock. That was it. Took off a prop and yep, B was on A and same for the back. Will test at lunch. Thanks again.

RC Competitor
    Up and flying again. Here's version three. (Still waiting on the legs to show up from my buddy.)

I did like Noir522 did and spliced into the power wires and ditched the splitter and a little of the extra wires. Much cleaner now. You may notice 2 holes in the top of the canopy, I experimented with putting the vtx up under there also like Noir522, but ultimately I wanted it easier to get to. (And I was afraid of Dremeling the frame, lol.)
    Last edited by mrclean1972; 10-25-2014 at 09:12 PM.

RC Competitor

Not as good as Noir522, but I do like the springyness the hanger provides.

Man that white looks HOT. The white wolf.

Yea those clothe hanger landing gears never look GREAT but when you have a hard landing the rebound effect acts like a shock absorber and really protects your under belly camera. And they dont break.

Especially for folks who still suffer from the occasional hard landing. (Like me)

AND TAKE OFFS IN THE GRASS IS A BREEZE. I didnt realize how well it did in the grass untill I tried to fly my sons stock alias on the lawn.

Im currently grounded, new antenna is in, but now I have a dead motor, and I just commented how well my stock motors were lasting.
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-26-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    I was thinking the black and white looked very cop-like. If I could replace the Alias sticker with a "Police" sticker, it'd be badass. Find some way to make the LEDs blink, then put red and blue lenses on, lol.

You can't really tell but the frame is chrome too. (I splurged) At first I was thinking it was a sticker but I can't find any seems. So now I'm guessing a paint.

As for motors, I would suggest these, http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col...cl-0820-17-11t

I ordered a set as soon as they came back into stock. BUT they do gulp the power. BUT it's a fast ride.....

I can't say my FPV has been doing as well as yours sounded, I'm jelly. I really just haven't been able to get enough stick time. I'm still at the trying to hover in front of myself...

On a slightly different note, what do you guys use to capture your video? I have the cable that goes from my Fatsharks to my PC. (Cable = VC500, PC = Win 7 Home) And my PC hates it. I'm constantly installing and reinstalling drivers, there's got to be other ways? I know the newer Dominators have built in DVRs.... but that won't happen anytime soon. Just curious what else is out there?

Hovering takes a steady finger and a fresh battery. I am far from a great pilot. And my many crashes proves it. What I am slowly learning is to make slight corrections then come back to neutral.

Most serious fpv pilots use a portable dvr recorder. Google hdd dvr recorder. Then run from $30 up to $100+ for the fancy hi pixel, high speed recorders.

They either record on its build in hard drive or on a memory card. They wire up to your rx or the fat shark googles.

MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Hovering takes a steady finger and a fresh battery. I am far from a great pilot. And my many crashes proves it. What I am slowly learning is to make slight corrections then come back to neutral.

Most serious fpv pilots use a portable dvr recorder. Google hdd dvr recorder. Then run from $30 up to $100+ for the fancy hi pixel, high speed recorders.

They either record on its build in hard drive or on a memory card. They wire up to your rx or the fat shark googles.

Thanks for the info. More stuff to buy.... lol.

I have decided to give up on the 3D printed legs. At least till I find a different method of attachment. I managed to ruin two more motors yesterday so no more gluing for this guy. It really blows my mind too, this time around I did any and all gluing separate, meaning I got extra lenses and did my gluing unattached, and left overnight before reattaching them..... but nope.

Luckily I had just received my Dark Edition 17's so I am back flying but that basically 2 sets of motors down the tubes..... gonna be the hanger method for a while I think.

I have managed to get some FPV flights in tho and man the heart gets to thumpin! So far I'm sticking to wide open fields.... not interested in climbing trees anymore, lol.

Just an idea to save some weight. Take the cloth hanger and punch it itthe rubber feet in the bottom of the alias. Makes for a solid and tall landing gear. But still very light.

MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC poster
    Hi all,

I've just purchased an Alias. I'm about 10 flights in and loving it. Pretty sure I'm going to ditch RC Cars and go with quads from now on. I'm really keen to capture really good video footage (the camera on the Alias is NOT gonna do the job!) and I want to experience FPV. So, I intend to purchase the Quanum Nova for video and go FPV with the Alias.

However, I'm a little bit lost on what I need to convert the Alias to FPV. My budget isn't huge so the ********* $30 goggles are very attractive. I need a receiver if that's the case and all the other bits. I have RC car lipos (3200mah 2S1P) so I think I can use these to power the receiver.

Could someone please clarify what I need to make this happen?

HK Googles $30
    FPV camera/transmitter combo with "windmill" antenna (cloverleaf): $120
    5.8G 4 Leaves Omnidirectional Gain Antenna for Receiver (from Banggood): $6
    JST Plugs 2-Male 1-Female 3 Plugs Connector (from Banggood) for splitting power from Alias battery: $2
    Lipo to power receiver (no cost)

What receiver would you guys suggest and apart from the receiver, is this list complete?

RC Enthusiast
    Hi there, down in Middle Earth land. Your list appears complete, and although the FPV combo from RMRC with the windmill antenna works well enough, the TX5805 camera/transmitter combo for the Ladybird has been used by others on the Alias with success and is less than half the cost of the other combo. I just received one in the mail but have yet to try it out. I'll let you all know once I do.

I don't have any suggestions for the receiver but perhaps someone else here does.

Happy flying and God bless.

RC Competitor
    Two short videos of my kitchen. lol, really just to show video quality from the FPV setup. My kid "told on me" for flying in the house.

http://youtu.be/Nl7GvEzNrZ0

http://youtu.be/KtbjpEaoNW0

RC Competitor
    Well.... we've all been outdone.....
    http://clairevang.blogspot.com/2014/...-mode.html?m=1

Basically an Alias with RTH???

RC Champion
    Not bad honestly. I still would rather not rip off traxxas by buying a knock off. I was hoping they found a way to fit a bigger battery but not by the looks of it...
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Enthusiast
    I purchased an Alias clone recently. It was 1/3 the cost of an Alias, but about 1/3 the quality too. I posted a review of it here, http://www.dx.com/p/huaxiang-2-4ghz-...4#.VHPcnovF8Vg.

I bought it for a friend so I hope he's not too mad at me. After using it a few times we've noticed a few additional quirks. Dropping the throttle a little ways kills the power to the motors. It's tough to bring it down gently because they keep cutting out. So you have to give it more throttle to recover.

Also, it can't hold a heading. Just tipping it back and forth a few times and it's rotated about 90 degrees clockwise. Really annoying.

I'll stick with my Alias.

For the landing gear extensions has anyone tried to make something with carbon fiber rod or tube?

Its a little spendy but you really don't need much and I would think it has to be way lighter weight then a coat hanger. I guess the hard part would be getting the shape right since you can't just bend it the way you can hanger wire.

Really cool builds.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigga View Post
    I purchased an Alias clone recently. It was 1/3 the cost of an Alias, but about 1/3 the quality too. I posted a review of it here, http://www.dx.com/p/huaxiang-2-4ghz-...4#.VHPcnovF8Vg.

I bought it for a friend so I hope he's not too mad at me. After using it a few times we've noticed a few additional quirks. Dropping the throttle a little ways kills the power to the motors. It's tough to bring it down gently because they keep cutting out. So you have to give it more throttle to recover.

Also, it can't hold a heading. Just tipping it back and forth a few times and it's rotated about 90 degrees clockwise. Really annoying.

I'll stick with my Alias.
    they can clone it all they like and will never duplicate the durability and quality of the Alias .

Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    For the landing gear extensions has anyone tried to make something with carbon fiber rod or tube?

Its a little spendy but you really don't need much and I would think it has to be way lighter weight then a coat hanger. I guess the hard part would be getting the shape right since you can't just bend it the way you can hanger wire.

Really cool builds.
    I experimented with a number of ideas, including the carbon fiber. my goal was to add passive suppression to landings and enough height to give it a little more clearance for the camera. my concern with pushing a carbon fiber rod through the rubber foot was the bottom of the motor can where the wires are. a hard landing could drive a solid rod through the bottom of the motor, shift sideways and knock a wire out, or worse... short them and fry a board. you can actually by CF kite rod in different diameters and different angled matching plastic connectors online. forming a CF landing skid set with these is pretty easy but I could never come up with a way to attach something like this that I was happy with. once Geo 3D printed my eraser idea in a single piece plug and play design, and sent those to me for testing... I have used them ever since and never looked back .

a bunch of great ideas surfacing and a lot of awesome creativity .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Enthusiast
    I just shot a new video using the Alias camera for recording and my RMRC camera/transmitter combo for FPV. The quad was a little heavy with all that but still performed pretty well. Check it out.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigga View Post
    I just shot a new video using the Alias camera for recording and my RMRC camera/transmitter combo for FPV. The quad was a little heavy with all that but still performed pretty well. Check it out.

Ya, I have you subscribed so I saw this, very impressive flying. I hadn't even attempted that much weight, but seemed nice and steady. Clean video, yep very nice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast