Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RC Competitor
    What do you guys think of this for an FPV setup?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ultra-mi...dset-spmvs1100

Just got my alias for christmas, and got the Latrax camera with it. Not too bad, but got some Jello, so i'm going to be balancing my blades to hopefully take care of that.

Really want to try this FPV thing out, and that looks like a good setup without much effort, and the weight isn't much either.

Thoughts?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by sabshire View Post
    What do you guys think of this for an FPV setup?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ultra-mi...dset-spmvs1100

Just got my alias for christmas, and got the Latrax camera with it. Not too bad, but got some Jello, so i'm going to be balancing my blades to hopefully take care of that.

Really want to try this FPV thing out, and that looks like a good setup without much effort, and the weight isn't much either.

Thoughts?
    pretty sweet deal, mine was a little cheaper cause I got my goggles used but you'd have it nice and new ready to go outta the box, hard to beat that. I didn't see a weight for that camera, looked small enough. Any idea how powerful the vtx is?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclean1972 View Post
    pretty sweet deal, mine was a little cheaper cause I got my goggles used but you'd have it nice and new ready to go outta the box, hard to beat that. I didn't see a weight for that camera, looked small enough. Any idea how powerful the vtx is?
    Camera with transmitter weighs 4.5 grams. Not sure how powerful the transmitter is.

RC Competitor
    This was all I could find on specs

Camera and Video Transmitter: (SPMVA1100)
    Input power: 3.3–4.2V (1S supply)
    Power consumption: 300mA @ 3.7V (1S) Imager: 1/6” VGA CMOS
    Camera Lens: 0.95mm IR cut
    Field of view: 115°diagonal (90°horizontal) Operating temp: -10o to 60oC
    Square: 13.2 X 17.6 X 9mm
    Lens dimensions: 9mm X 10mm diameter Antenna dimensions: 20mm X 25mm diameter Video output: Analog NTSC video out Frequency: 5.8GHz (7 channels available) Weight: 4.5 g (with case)

Headset (SPMVS1100 Only):
    Field of View: 25 deg diagonal
    IPD distance: 63.5mm (fixed)
    Input power: 7–13V (2S–3S Li-Po)
    Battery: 7.4V 760mAh Li-Po battery with safety circuit (included) Power consumption: 200/350mA (direct/wireless)
    Video Receiver: 5.8GHz (7 channels available) Weight: 163 g

RC Enthusiast
    That is a very nice, all-inclusive package. My one concern is that, because of the configuration of the camera/transmitter/antenna combo, you will need to mount it to the top of your Alias. So in addition to having a very clear view of the props spinning around in your face, you will also be at risk of damaging your FPV setup when you crash and land upside down. Unless you build some kind of sturdy roll cage for the thing (and thereby adding extra weight) you may end up breaking off your antenna. But I'm not familiar with that particular unit and others may have other ideas or experiences with it. I just wanted to voice a concern upfront so you can include that in your thought process.

RC Competitor
    "when you crash"?? Thanks for the vote of confidence.. LOL Just kidding!

Yeah, I am a ways away from spending money on an FPV, and that is definitely a concern, I'll be keeping in mind.

RC Enthusiast
    The parts in the Horizon package are the same components that are included in the **** QX FPV with a couple of exceptions. 1) The cords are not included with the NQX, the FPV Camera is housed in plastic case (the one on the NQX has the housing removed). Otherwise - if you want experience / details on this package.. search out **** QX FPV. The Teleporter goggles have been tweaked to simulate head tracking (though I suspect the majority of us users, don't enable that feature). The Teleporters are not high-end FatSharks.. but are great. Distance outside, where you have line of sight is excellent. I can fly a football field (300 yards) easily - before video begins to break up. The system can be plugged into a television from the goggles (the cords included allow that), so you can actually fly out in your backyard, sitting in your living room with goggle on - while folks in the room have a birds-eye view on a big screen TV. It's actually very cool.

FPV is really a blast. The downside is getting components that work well together. This Horizon package does that. I picked up the plastic 'sleeve' that allows the camera to attach to my NQX - with the intention of gluing it to another quad (probably my Alias) to allow me to easily use the system there.

The antenna that is attached to the camera is actually very well soldered, and can take a pretty good beating without breaking. I have had to bend mine back into shape several times though. Even with the housing -- the camera is not waterproof, so that should be a concern too..

Sorry for the drawn out post... but FPV is pretty dang cool...

? edit n a n o is a naughty word and became **** ?

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the details jdoo... Good to hear from someone who has used the components. My only other concern is wearing glasses. I see that they have diopter inserts, but I have no idea what my vision is, other than bad. LOL. So, I wonder if anyone on here who has bad vision and wears spectacles can give some feedback on using diopter inserts, etc?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sabshire View Post
    Thanks for the details jdoo... Good to hear from someone who has used the components. My only other concern is wearing glasses. I see that they have diopter inserts, but I have no idea what my vision is, other than bad. LOL. So, I wonder if anyone on here who has bad vision and wears spectacles can give some feedback on using diopter inserts, etc?
    I'm extremely far sighted (can't read without glasses), but see perfectly clear with the FatSharks. The Diopler inserts are for near-sighted folk. Can't comment on those. Regarding far-sightedness though.. The field of view is supposed to be like looking at something 6 feet away. Clear for folks who only use reading glasses. As mentioned though, you can google n a n o ax FPV and read what others are saying about the Diopler inserts for the Teleporters.

Cheers

RC Competitor
    Interesting idea I found here...

http://ohmeye.smugmug.com/Hobbies/FP...ters/i-sqQJQPK

Based on how bad my vision is, FPV may not be for me, but if I decide to do it, I might go this route, or at least something similar.

RC Competitor
    Here's the thread I found that link.. There's links on where they got the glasses used to cut the lenses from.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....Inserts-How-To

RC Qualifier
    What transmitter you use to fly the alias quad?
    The stock "toyish" one?

Or somehow find a way to squeze a spektrum or futaba receiver in there?

RC Enthusiast
    I believe just about everyone here is using the standard LaTrax transmitter. For me, it is comfortable, configurable, and provides instant access to any accessories that I attach to the quad (camera, light bar). It also gives the audible warning beep when the Alias battery is running low so you have time to bring it in before it dies. Very handy.

I'm not sure what, if any other controllers anyone else has been able to get to work with the Alias.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post
    What transmitter you use to fly the alias quad?
    The stock "toyish" one?

Or somehow find a way to squeze a spektrum or futaba receiver in there?
    It is *not* "toyish". It has Telemetry, multitude of settings, adjustments, etc. And I even prefer the stick feel to my DX9.

oh and it doesn't POD like your Spektrum. LOL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoo View Post
    I picked up the plastic 'sleeve' that allows the camera to attach to my NQX - with the intention of gluing it to another quad (probably my Alias) to allow me to easily use the system there.
    What type of sleeve? Got a link by any chance? I've just been using double sided tape attached to the top of the 4-in-1 with the canopy removed but am looking for a better solution.

RC poster
    Here is my setup with Spektrum VA1100 Cam and Fatshark Attitude V2 Goggles. Due to the exposed antenna I need to build a protection around. Here I used a hair spray plastic headpart and fixed all just with duct tape. To my surprise it fits all pretty stabile and for the usual crashes its totaly ok

Alias flys MMW Dark Edition Motors obviously.

Together with the original Latrax cam for recordins incl batteries the thing weights heavy 127g. While flying it reacts kinda delayed and tends to ditch the ground if you dont throttle it up after sinking. But its absolutly flyable! FPV only without recording however comes 110g, which is very good.

I am not super happy with the Spektrum cam. Quality of video is great but the range is very poor in my eyes. Maybe thats some 70 feet and whenever you fly behind any kind of obstacle it will get down easily. On the other hand the cam is very lightweight, affordable and is mounted in just a few minutes ready to fly.

Videos or it didnt happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVsr22V8h6M
    http://youtu.be/sQWhMz-I4e8

Just learning tho, no skills inside... yet

Range and obstacle penetration comes mostly from your base station, or head set antennae. A 3 or 5 turn helical antennae would cost $40 - $60 but it really increases the range, picture quality, and penetration. Sitting in my house I can fly completely around the perimeter with great video.

MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    thx, I ordered allready a 5 wrap version. cant wait to get it

What was your original antennae? One issue, the more "turns" you have the narrower the beam. Which leads to less range behind you. But with a 3 or 5 turn you will not notice it unless you fly WAY behind yourself, at that point you can just turn you head and your good again.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234