RC Qualifier

Connectors for 4s

I was wondering what connectors I should solder onto my rx8 gen2 esc and 4s batt I will be getting in the next month or so I would like to stick with the traxxas ones but I have heard that with 4s and bigger lipos the traxxas ones are not as good as others. Will it make a difference deans, traxxas, castle, other? And also will any of spc's 4s lipos fit?
    Is it fast enough? No, no it isn't.

I don't know why traxxas connectors wouldn't work. If not traxxas I would recommend deans. Many people at my track use deans.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    If you're worried, you could get castle bullets. Traxxas connectors do get pretty hot with a 4s. Works fine, though.

RC Qualifier
    I'll probably get the castle ones there nice and big the deans are kinda small and u have to pull them out by the wires

Quote Originally Posted by Zakary View Post
    I was wondering what connectors I should solder onto my rx8 gen2 esc and 4s batt I will be getting in the next month or so I would like to stick with the traxxas ones but I have heard that with 4s and bigger lipos the traxxas ones are not as good as others. Will it make a difference deans, traxxas, castle, other? And also will any of spc's 4s lipos fit?
    Not sure whose telling you traxxas wont take it, I run 6s thru them with no worries.
    I tried deans but went back to traxxas, nothing wrong with them but they seemed to come apart to easy for my taste.
    With the exception of the castle connecters traxxas and deans are about the best your going to get.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Not sure whose telling you traxxas wont take it, I run 6s thru them with no worries.
    I tried deans but went back to traxxas, nothing wrong with them but they seemed to come apart to easy for my taste.
    With the exception of the castle connecters traxxas and deans are about the best your going to get.
    I second this.

Also, a connector getting warm has nothing to do with the voltage... but a lot to do with the amperage.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I second this.

Also, a connector getting warm has nothing to do with the voltage... but a lot to do with the amperage.
    Makes sense, my 4s has a higher c rating than any of my 3s.

RC Qualifier
    Do they make diff size traxxas connectors? Because I tried to solder a traxxas connector to my hobbywing esc and the wire was to big wouldn't fit all the way in

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede4x4owner View Post
    Do they make diff size traxxas connectors? Because I tried to solder a traxxas connector to my hobbywing esc and the wire was to big wouldn't fit all the way in
    shouldn't have any problems getting that connector on the hobbywing make sure your wires aren't past the line on the terminal when you solder it and make sure the solder isn't built up at the end of the wires. I have solder 10awg wire on traxxas connectors with no issues.

RC Qualifier
    Well I guess traxxas wins I was hoping I could keep my traxxas ones

No one told my the traxxas one Can't do it just others can do it better
    Last edited by Zakary; 06-11-2014 at 11:13 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madscrapper85 View Post
    shouldn't have any problems getting that connector on the hobbywing make sure your wires aren't past the line on the terminal when you solder it and make sure the solder isn't built up at the end of the wires. I have solder 10awg wire on traxxas connectors with no issues.
    hmm must be my soldering then

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakary View Post
    Well I guess traxxas wins I was hoping I could keep my traxxas ones
    I went with deans just because at one of the tracks where most of my friends were racing everyone had deans so If you had an issues everyone stuff interchanged. Other than that reason traxxas is probably the way to go.

RC Qualifier
    hmm must be my soldering then
    sometimes if you use a bit of force with a pocket screwdriver it will click in maybe use a file and clean up the end of the wire.

RC Qualifier
    They are all the same size

I have soldered 8 gauge into a Traxxas connector before... that was a challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by fls4 View Post
    Makes sense, my 4s has a higher c rating than any of my 3s.
    C rating of a battery doesn't account for higher amperage (heat) either... C ratings just list available amperage. If I use a 1,000,000C battery in a 150 amp power system no more amperage will be used than with a 50C battery as long as both are capable of feeding the system.

RC Qualifier
    So if I have a 5000mAh 3s batt and a 6400mAh 3s batt the 6400mAh one will make stuff get hotter? If so how much hotter?

RC Qualifier
    The only reason stuff should get hotter with the larger mah battery is run time is longer if the load is the same.

RC Champion
    Traxxas connector is just as capable, if not more, than a deans. There's no "need" to change. It's more up to personal preference.

I used xt90 connectors for a while. They're a polarized 5mm bullet-type connector with lots of contact info. In the end, I ended up going back to traxxas. The larger connectors were harder to pull apart, and the traxxas connectors handled the current just fine.

Now, I will say that I have had a traxxas connector come unsoldered from heat, but I was doing one heck of a burnout up against a wall with a big motor.

Traxxas connectors are my favorite ones so far out of the ones I have tried and thats with other brand vehicles too.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    EC5!

Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sverige View Post
    EC5!

Those look nice how big are they compared to traxxas and castle plugs? Those might be my pick

Basically the same size...

Just be very aware of what you are buying with either... there is a difference between the knock offs and genuine connectors. For charging, the knock offs (EC5) work OK; but for running in a high-draw RC genuine is the way to go.

Genuine Traxxas connectors have the writing on them as shown above. The knock off TRX connectors have really low quality plastics and metal bits. The plastics melt/soften and don't hold the metal very well. The metal is quite flimsy and wears out rather quickly.

Genuine EC5's have "DEV" and "Batt" molded into the plastic and the male metal pieces are bullets and not bananas. While I have not found too much difference in the EC5's plastic quality between genuine and knock off just make 100% certain the male metal bits are bullets.

I had considered going with EC5's when I started back into the hobby a few years ago. The only thing that leaned me toward TRX was that they are reusable... meaning if you assemble a harness wrong or need to change something up, you can. Once EC5 connectors are assembled, that is it; there is no way to take it apart without destroying the plastics.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 06-12-2014 at 04:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok gotcha