RC poster

Brand new Stampede 4x4 VXL differential leaking?

Just bought my Stampede VXL 4x4, and after my maiden voyage with it I noticed oil or grease all over one of the rear drive shafts right next to the rear differential. I'm assuming it is either a faulty part, or a faulty seal of some sort. What do I need to explain to Traxxas when I call them tomorrow to get this fixed?
    Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by josh05magnum View Post
    Just bought my Stampede VXL 4x4, and after my maiden voyage with it I noticed oil or grease all over one of the rear drive shafts right next to the rear differential. I'm assuming it is either a faulty part, or a faulty seal of some sort. What do I need to explain to Traxxas when I call them tomorrow to get this fixed?
    Thanks folks!
    Its not uncommon for a little grease to escape but if its allover this is another story.
    Traxxas is great when it comes to taking care of things like this, simply give them a call and explain just as you posted.
    You may want to take it for a few more runs to see if it continues, if it was slightly over filled it will push itself out when the grease gets hot.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Mine did this when I bought it new, eventually all the grease came out then I put xo1 gears in.

RC poster
    Here are some pictures of the oil leaking out. I guess to be honest I don't know if it's "a lot of oil" or not, cause I don't know how much of an overfill or leak on first use could be normal. Still, seemed like a lot to me on a new truck, and only on one side.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...psa3f2b487.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...psf27fabb6.jpg

Good Side, no oil leaking-
    http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps743506e7.jpg

RC Qualifier
    Eh, as long as the truck is running fine, and the diffs arent 'clicking' i'd run it as is. If its over filled some extra will leak out.

little leaking is pretty common. nevermind.

Looking at your pics things look just fine to me.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

As the guy's have said that's normal dude but every few months take the diffs out and do maintenance on them like replace worn bearings and diff oil.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Those blue seals seem to wear out in my diffs after a while and I find blue specs all in my oil next time I change the oil if it's been a few months
    Is it fast enough? No, no it isn't.

Before I rebuild my diffs a give the blue diff seals a go over wiw some graphite grease and it helps seal them better....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!