RC poster

Friend gave me a Jato for free, what should i do first?

My friend gave me a free jato with an extra sirio tx .18 engine. Ive uploaded the pictures to imgur to avoid spamming this post, as the resolution is 4128x3096. Should i replace the 2.5 motor with the TX? i never owned a nitro rc, ive only worked with baja engines on Gopeds. What do you guys reccomend i do with this jato? Its pretty dirty. Everything was free. http://imgur.com/a/EkQFo

RC Competitor
    First things first a tear down and deep clean is in order. If both engines run just run one till it dies then switch. The 2.5 is a good runner for the Jato that's what is in my nitro and was in my other jato before the e conversion. I can't really say about any other engines as I've never ran other than Traxxas.

RC poster
    Whats the best way to clean it? I tried my 150 psi air compressor and it did nothing, the dirt is really stuck on there. Is there a solution i can soak the car in?

Quote Originally Posted by Onision View Post
    Whats the best way to clean it? I tried my 150 psi air compressor and it did nothing, the dirt is really stuck on there. Is there a solution i can soak the car in?
    Welcome to the forums! I'd soak the truck in Simple green. If that doesn't come off, try brake clean. Both of those are really effective. If it really comes down to it, lacquer thinner or Goof Off works great too, but be careful those can MELT some plastics, like servo cases. Hope this helps!
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Competitor
    I've always just broke the car down took it apart and clean piece by piece but I use purple power, I know people that swear by Dawn dishwashing liquid so pick your poison. And yes welcome to the forums.

RC poster
    Thanks guys, i guess i will go find a decent gallon of degreaser to buy. Is it safe to spray it all around the car? And can i let the degreaser sit on the car for a while then blast it off with the compressor or is it better to take my time and wipe it. I wonder which degreaser would work the best lol

RC Competitor
    I know purple power is simple green should be as well. As long as it doesn't get in the motor and you re lube anywhere there is metal on metal contact you should be good. Letting it sit shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't dry. Probably a combo of wipe and blast with a little old toothbrush action should get you where you want to be.

RC poster
    I live by a local Hobby People shop. My friend works there and can get me anything for dealer cost, so if theres anything i can use please let me know

RC Competitor
    Anything? Like cleaner wise? Simple green or purple power are in my top 2.

RC poster
    Just anything that the hobby shop sells. Btw what are some upgrades that will raise engine performance? Whats the best pipe?

RC Competitor
    Best pipe idk, I haven't tried them all but I'd prefer THS over the Traxxas tuned. You can do the rustler front end mod where you can run 12 mm hex wheels at all 4 corners.

RC poster
    Im looking into the ths pipe and losi 3.4 carb. I just got done with cleaning off alot of the dirt, theres still some corners i cant reach but i dont wanna take apart the car becausei doubt ill remember how to put it back together. I sprayed solvent over the EZ start and blasted it out lol i hope i didnt ruin it

RC Competitor
    Just use 3 in 1 oil to re lube it. Should be fine, they are cheap if it is scrap. Disassembly is easy. For the first few times Just take one part off clean it and put it back on then.

RC Champion
    i normaly fill my bath tub with HOT water, pour in some dawn, take off all elec parts along with motor and tranny toss her in the tub for about 20 mins, then go at her with a toothbrush. i take off a few parts while in the water to clean the dirt from under like the bumper skid plates and that nature. after im done it looks new.