RC Competitor

Better motor than stock 1717???

Hey guys looking for some input, im thinking of replacing the stock 1717 motor that comes with the XO-1 with something better. Ive seen a few motors and new companies out there but having a hard time making a decision. Here are some that I've been looking at and if you know of a motor or company that I didnt mention let me know. Well here are the ones I've found so far....Castle/Steve Neu 1521/1Y looks like it'll run 8s all day but not sure if it'll have the torque to run my heavy XO-1 and its kinda pricey but dont mind paying top dollar for a good motor but if any of you have any knowledge on this motor or suggest a different Steve Neu Motor let me know. Then there are the Leopard Motors, I've seen alot of people run these the only thing that im scared of is how cheap they are, and if im going to be sacraficing quality for price with these but once again would love some input to see if you guys have had good experience with these and if so what model do you recommend. Last is a new company call Poseidon RC they actually have a 1717 in 2 different kv's, but there only rated up to 50k rpm, and there fairly cheap and once again like the leopard motors dont know if im going to be sacraficing quality for price if I go with this company plus havent seen too many people running these yet. Well guys those are about the only ones I have found so far if you have any input on any of the motors or companies I've listed or know of one that I didnt list let me know it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Oh by the way if it helps with the motor decision, on my XO-1 I run an XL2 on 8s for speed runs, and 6s for dragracing.
    Last edited by STL RC RACING; 06-24-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    Fastest Radar Verified XO-1!

RC Racer
    If you go with PoseidonRC, I would try the 2217 400KV with 12S. It has 62mm diameter and 84mm length so you have the biggest possible motor without having to move the right battery somehwere else.

Apart from that maybe have a look at TP Power, they seem to be quite popular in the boating forums and you can get them in various sizes and KV values.

RC Qualifier
    Leopard is a lower quality, but a slightly larger leopard will outperform stock. May need a new motor mount.

Neu motors are basically castle with some personal touches. They are stronger and more consistent. Worth the price? Not to me, id rather go bigger for less cash.

Tp is an amazing motor in the boating world. Iv used them on land for 1/5 scales and they arnt up to snuff. Run way to hot without the water cooling.

Lehner motors are about the best you can get for our scale but they are absurdly expensive and I do not know about the mounting situation.

If it was my cash, and wanted more oomph id be looking at a 1/5 can from leopard and 8s with a new mount.

Can also try 8s on the stock can (need new esc) but you may kill the motor.

Look at some of the builds too. Ponies and anothonys early attemps are good starting points.
    Last edited by chapinb; 06-25-2014 at 05:40 AM.

RC Racer
    Do you know if Leopards are more efficient than TP Power?

Problem with other people's builds is, they don't give full information. It's pretty useless without knowing gearing, weight, KV and temps.

Maybe I have overlooked something, but up until now there was no proven and documented high power single motor setup. You could either see an XO-1 driving in circles with 25mph or messing around in front of the house or videos of a XO-1 passing at high speed but without vital info like gearing, motor or KV and questionable records (150mph with a single 5682? I doubt that).

RC Qualifier
    I do not know specifics on tp vs leopard but for the 5692 size, both about 1100 kv on 6 and 8s, the leopard runs cooler. The tp had more grunt though.

Bigger can will result in cooler temps and more power as long as kv is roughly the same. Gearing you can estimate using BrianG's speed calc. If going for a larger can, gear 10 mph higher and work from there. There are so few people who have gone for more power in this chassis that youll be hard pressed to find any sort of guide pre typed.

Reach out to thoes who have done it. Pm them. If I dont have heat issues on my 30 pound rc with the leopard and 8s, you wont on the 10 pound land rocket. And this would provide more power then you could realistically use unless you have 130 plus mph aspirations.

RC Champion
    Imo, the Leopard 5682 1670kv is more than capable. Run that with the XL2 on 8s. I've done several builds with this setup. I don't have the room to maximize it. I have gone 86 mph on 8s and 1/4-1/2 throttle in a short distance. This is with stock ESC settings and 38/46 gearing. This combo has yet to be maximized by anyone. I tried pulling more throttle more quickly and the car took flight. The Leopard has crazy torque and power. For me, the price can't be beat. I have yet to hear of one failing even on 8s. On 1:1 gearing and pulling a lot of throttle, who knows how fast it can go. At that point, the car itself will be the restriction.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Just buy a Leopard motor. I had one in my old XO-1 with the stock 34 tooth gear high speed pinion and did back to back 90+ mph runs with any heat issues. Wasn't able to run faster with the larger pinion on it because I totaled the car when I tried. It's a cheap enough motor that you can try it out and see how you like it before dumping money into an expensive one. If your passes go anything like those of use who tried going all out on the throttle you are going to wreck your setup and have to replace it before you max out the motor so I would stick with cheap motors until you figure out how to get the car to stay straight and on the ground.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Racer
    This is IMHO the biggest problem with the XO-1, adding more power doesn't make much sense, it's already uncontrollable with the stock motor and there is not much one could do about it.

If you want something fast that is actually controllable get a Slash 4x4 LCG, convert it to a buggy with a front-wing and put the XO-1 Combo and drivetrain in. Doesn't look as good as an XO-1 but outperforms it in every aspect. Have tried that with the XO-1 on the same spot, simply not possible to drive like that.

RC Qualifier
    How fast was that buggy going?
    XO-1 #4...

RC Racer
    In that video about 90mph. Highest Topspeed I had so far was 94mph with 26t pinion, 38t spur, 3.82 inch tires (theoretically 100mph with 3.7V per cell). Weight is 3572g RTR. The XO-1 needs a 121mph gearing to reach 100mph, the Slash needs 100mph gearing to reach 94mph.

I would guess with a 34t spur (112mph theoretically) it will easily reach 100mph (and need less power because gearing is smaller)

Acceleration from zero to 90mph is below 4 seconds in about 300 feet.

Motor temps are around 70C or 160F after a full pack with about 25C or 75F ambient temp, runtime depending on driving style 15-25 minutes.

Topspeed 151kph / 94mph

Acceleration to 146kph / 90mph in 4 seconds:

Here's more information:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Buggy-1717-6s

RC Champion
    What 121 mph gearing are you referring to?

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    I meant the highest stock XO-1 gearing. 34t pinion, 46t spur, 4.29 inch tires. Should yield 121 mph at 3,7V per cell and 1650KV in theory (unloaded).

RC Champion
    Ah I gotcha.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    I've been running a leopard 5882 no problem for nearly a year on a 29t pinion. Also use a castle xl2 with cap PAC and 2 4s 5450 maxamps batteries. Using 8 gauge and 8mm castle bullets. The only difference I can tell is with the price. Castle is expensive, and not worth it when there Are some many choices. I also run leopard motors in my Spartans.however is my rally I run a castle 6s system, 1515.

RC poster
    I have a 40t pinion on my 5682 leopard motor and I have gone way over 100mph with my X0-1 with no air born and or stability issues. You just have to dial the suspension and adding weight at certain areas is the key. Only thing for me that's a on going problem for me are the tires. they don't last very long at high speeds and will pop violently.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-30-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: merge, edit button comes in handy

RC Racer
    What Motor KV are you running Shifft and Derj68?

What about temps, any active cooling like a fan? Can you run hard through a full pack?

I guess you guys have a really smooth road (no man-holes, no lines and arrows etc. painted on it) to run it and you don't run it when it's windy outside?

What's "way over 100mph"? Have you measured it properly, i.e. speedtrap or GPS?
    How long (in seconds and meters or feet) did it take to reach that speed?

RC poster
    Your question, ..."What's "way over 100mph"? Have you measured it properly, i.e. speedtrap or GPS?
    How long (in seconds and meters or feet) did it take to reach that speed? ..," gives me the feeling you are already in disbelief.

But here it is: It's a 1360kv 5682 motor. No fan on mine. Did have a fan on the motor at one time but cooling was only marginal so I took it off. I run the motor hard, full packs (not just one) and up hill with no issues. We have windy days but still run! lol Of course smooth roads but we do have man-holes and lines, but NO roads with reflectors! Had the motor almost two years with NO issues!! Took the motor up to 186 degrees F with NO issues( although I don't recommend taking the motor up that high a temperature a lot)!! I had measured the speeds with Garmin 301 forerunners, Garmin 201 forerunners & Bushnell Speedster 3 Radar guns. My fastest ever was 121 mph, given at least a 2000 ft range from start to finish. I average about 109-114mph, and refuses to go air born! My X0-1, however, is heavy, about 15 to 17lbs. with special weights carefully placed and fiberglassing (the body/shell weighs 3lbs by it self)!! Although the motor is rated at 8s max, it can handle 10s. ;-)

Have I ever had crashes? Yes, due to tire blowouts. The stock X0-1 and GRP's 1/8 scale tires reeally can't handle consistent high speed runs with a car that heavy. Why so heavy? Through trial and error, that particular weight keeps the car stable, controllable and planted at very high speeds with the stock X0-1 tires. But with the GRP tires, the car is a little harder to control but is still planted and still doesn't go air born. The worse crash I had was when one of the tires blew up , sending the X0-1 on a out of control horizontal spin, then it flipped over on it's roof and slid about 150 yards before hitting a parked RV's wheel. But the car still NEVER went air born. It stayed on the ground when it did all that stuff and it still went 114mph on that run!! I also have 2 Traxxas Slashes, one 6s and one 8s. And the two are much easier and more fun to drive at high speeds, I will give you that!!
    Last edited by Derj68; 07-01-2014 at 05:57 PM.

RC poster
    .....as for the fiberglassing, I fiberglassed the body/ shell only. Just in case you were wondering.. lol

RC Champion
    glassing the shell is prob the most important part. the xo-1 shell is flimsy at best and def. deforms at speed. I also have a glassed shell for my gtp.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Racer
    Well, not really in disbelief, but I have seen too many exaggerated claims, that's why I always take those "my car runs xx mph" postings that don't give further info with a grain of salt.

Like people reaching the claimed speed, but only once, going down a steep hill, with wind from behind and crashing while braking. When asking about temps it's the same, first people say it's all good, then later it turns out they live on the northpole and do only one run at a time.

Thanks for all that information, Derj68, I really appreciate it. Looks definetely realistic and not exaggerated to me.

What ESC are you running?

Are you able to drive slowly from the start without cogging or stuttering with that motor and high gearing? With my Slash (and the stock XO-1 too) it gets a little annoying with higher gearing and larger/heavier tires. 100mph gearing with GRP tires is still okay, 112mph gearing with XO-1 tires (actually same gearing, speed difference because of tire diameter difference) it gets a little annoying sometimes when starting from a dead stop. That's why I thought about trying a TP Power 6-Pole, it should have less problems getting the vehicle to move from a stop. Well, atleast in theory

Regarding tires:
    Have you tried BSR 1/8th buggy foams?

Lately I stumbled over GQ tires, but I couldn't find any info on them.
    They offer them in 110mm and 97mm diameter and in 43mm and 51mm width, at least the dimensions look perfect for the XO-1. If they hold up though is another story

Would you mind opening a thread about your 8S Slash in the Slash Forum? 8S and Slash sounds really good

RC poster
    You can put different size spur gears in the x0-1 as well.

I recently got back to working on the X0-1 as to upgrades and upgraded the tires to GRP 1/5 scale tires. Thought the would be heavy on the car....the weren't all that much... I had to fabricate some adapters to allow then to fit on the drive axle pin.

As for the two slashes, I may put up a vid on youtube soon to see them in action, However a friend of mine did over 118 mph with his ....and uphill!

Here is the link:

youtube.com/watch?v=1i51B-wRIo8&index=52&list=PLpRveQKjTDf0b2mQ1i1Zj0rlDBkxm URfT
    Last edited by Derj68; 07-11-2014 at 05:08 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Derj68 View Post
    You can put different size spur gears in the x0-1 as well.

I recently got back to working on the X0-1 as to upgrades and upgraded the tires to GRP 1/5 scale tires. Though they would be heavy on the car....they weren't all that much... I had to fabricate some adapters to allow them to fit on the drive axle pin.

As for the two slashes, I may put up a vid on youtube soon to see them in action, However a friend of mine did over 118 mph with his ....and uphill!

Here is the link:

youtube.com/watch?v=1i51B-wRIo8&index=52&list=PLpRveQKjTDf0b2mQ1i1Zj0rlDBkxm URfT
    I meant to say;I recently got back to working on the X0-1 as to upgrades and upgraded the tires to GRP 1/5 scale tires. I Thought they would be heavy on the car....they weren't all that much... I had to fabricate some adapters to allow them to fit on the drive axle pin.

There are other Sashes in my area doing m.p.h. triple digits as well
    Last edited by Derj68; 07-11-2014 at 06:20 PM.

RC poster

dumb advice.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardXO-1 View Post
    If you go with PoseidonRC, I would try the 2217 400KV with 12S. It has 62mm diameter and 84mm length so you have the biggest possible motor without having to move the right battery somehwere else.

Apart from that maybe have a look at TP Power, they seem to be quite popular in the boating forums and you can get them in various sizes and KV values.
    that's about the mist absurd advice i have seen on this forum.

RC Qualifier
    What about the motor that is in the X Maxx? It's a 1600 kv, so not a major advantage but I wonder what the RPMs are on it...

RC Competitor
    Well given it's still the same input voltage - max 6S, the max rpm will be 35,520rpm. the XO-1 motor maxes out at 36,630rpm, so there would be no advantage at all. Given the price of the motors alone, i'm not sure it would be worth pushing them beyond 6S.

RC Qualifier
    Took this from the X-Maxx thread: Has anyone looked into using the Castle 2028 in the XO-1?

RC poster
    I'm running a lehner 2250/13 turn on 12s with a castle HV160, but I might try my schulze 40.161.

Quote Originally Posted by SCAR17s View Post
    I'm running a lehner 2250/13 turn on 12s with a castle HV160, but I might try my schulze 40.161.
    That is sick!! 911kv correct? Whats the max speed you’ve seen? Can you post some pics?
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=chapinb;5727132]Leopard is a lower quality, but a slightly larger leopard will outperform stock. May need a new motor mount.

Neu motors are basically castle with some personal touches. They are stronger and more consistent. Worth the price? Not to me, id rather go bigger for less cash.

*The TP motors on land have come a long way and are amazing brushless motors. Each is hand made by order. The output of TP far exceeds any other brand ive used or seen. If you can afford a TP then by all means i highly suggest buying one you wont be disappointed. They also have a new model to be released October 10th you can find on ebay some information that is rated over 14hp that is made for the XO1 up to 8s. They have two other models above that the size of coke cans that would be options more so for an XMaxx. One outputs over 16hp for around $179 plus shipping and the other is over 20hp for around $249 plus shipping. Yes expensive but they run cooler and will outlast any other brushless you purchase.

* As far as Leopard i dont think you will be disappointed. They are not cheap themselves and you will still be paying upwards in the $150-$180 range for a comparable motor for high output. I use pretty much all the popular motors listed. Castle, TP, Leopard, also Arrma, and even others, some off brand and you would be surprised what can perform in certain situations and applications for your needs and at what level of performance isnt always an indicator of price. Sometimes it is hit or miss when you try something unknown. TP has definately established themselves now in the industry. Talk to Rafael on eBay and he can help you. He also gives an 8% discount if you buy through paypal so that my save you some money.

So even knowing the Leopard 5682 1670kv is only rated to 6s youve been running 8s? I know its an old post but how has it held up to date? And did you ever record a top speed?

Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    Imo, the Leopard 5682 1670kv is more than capable. Run that with the XL2 on 8s. I've done several builds with this setup. I don't have the room to maximize it. I have gone 86 mph on 8s and 1/4-1/2 throttle in a short distance. This is with stock ESC settings and 38/46 gearing. This combo has yet to be maximized by anyone. I tried pulling more throttle more quickly and the car took flight. The Leopard has crazy torque and power. For me, the price can't be beat. I have yet to hear of one failing even on 8s. On 1:1 gearing and pulling a lot of throttle, who knows how fast it can go. At that point, the car itself will be the restriction.

Jeremy
    So even knowing the Leopard 5682 1670kv is only rated to 6s youve been running 8s? I know its an old post but how has it held up to date? And did you ever record a top speed?
    Last edited by Double G; 10-09-2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: merge