RC poster

Thumbs up Rustler Vxl on 2s LiPo Gearing?

Hey guys, thanks for looking. I have a Rustler Vxl running a Venom 2s 20C (30C Burst) 4000mah battery. Right now I am using the stock spur (83T) and the 28T pinion that came with the truck that is supposed to be for high speeds. What gearing should I use to get the highest speed out of this battery pack? Can I get 55-60mph with it? I'm getting between 45-50 right now, but I haven't had a very long road to run on. So basically my question is what is the highest speed I will get with this battery and what gearing should I use? I'm sure the motor will be quite hot, but that's not really an issue for me. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Try 34/76.
    2400kv rusty ~ 4100kv merv
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

RC poster
    34/76 On 2s? That'd be way too high and would overheat quickly. on 2s your probably best at the gearing your in. you can get about 50mph ~ but that's about it.. if that doesn't satisfy you I suggest going 3s before getting in higher gears. if your looking for 55-60mph on stock tires go 3s lipo and that same 28/83 will get you there ..but like always, check temps

RC poster
    28/83 = 55-60Mph ~
    31/83 = 58-62mph ~
    31/76 = 65-70mph
    34/76 = ?

My results. all with 3s 4500mah 30c lipo /stock tire size /lowering 1/2 inch.

RC Racer
    You can use this calculation page to get an theoretical speed by entering your cars info...gearing , battery, tires etc,

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html Its came in pretty handy.
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing

I ran pretty close to the same speeds with the factory vxl system and optional gearing. I had mine slammed to the ground and bald rear tires. With a GPS I was getting up to 44mph. Not bad considering all it was a pinion change. Also using SPC 5000mah 20c 2s batteries. You may be able to squeeze a little more with a gear change but you are probably pretty maxed on a 2s to be honest. Have you thought about getting a 3s?

RC poster
    Ok guys thanks for all advice. I will buy a 3s eventually but not right now because I very recently got this 2s. I only bought it and not a 3s because a friend had it brand new for half it's price new online and he couldn't use it, so I took it off of his hands. I'm not using stock tires, I'm using some older rubber road tires that are basically bald in the rear made by pro line. I just wanted to see if there is any way I could get a higher speed with this battery and I don't mind the higher motor temps because I will let it cool after a couple speed runs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OcGeo714 View Post
    34/76 On 2s? That'd be way too high and would overheat quickly. on 2s your probably best at the gearing your in. you can get about 50mph ~ but that's about it.. if that doesn't satisfy you I suggest going 3s before getting in higher gears. if your looking for 55-60mph on stock tires go 3s lipo and that same 28/83 will get you there ..but like always, check temps
    I ran 34/76 on my 3s vxl setup and had no overheating problems. I could run a full 5000mah pack and not have to worry, and i love in texas so it's quite hot.
    2400kv rusty ~ 4100kv merv
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21