Difference between CC SV3 3800KV & VXL System.

Ok, so I am debating on changing it up a bit. Would it be worth the $120 to get the castle sv3 3800 when all I do is bash. I am still running the factory vxl system and have no problems with it. Just want to be able to get more speed out of the truck. Would it be in my best interest to re-gear for faster bashing with the vxl or buy the 3800 that will run cooler and allow for faster gearing without heating issues?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LWE111&P=0

RC Enthusiast
    I don't think you'd see much of a difference. Have you given any thought to the Castle SCT 2400kV System?

RC Enthusiast
    If you're on a budget, you could get a Traxxas Funny Car motor from an on-line auction. Not for sure, but maybe your VXL ESC would work with it. With the money you'd save, you could upgrade to a 3S Lipo.

Also, I'm not convinced a 3,800kv motor would run cooler than a 3,500kv motor of the same dimensions.

RC Qualifier
    3800 does run cooler being that's is 4 pole and doesn't work as hard. In my experience the 3800 too much torque for a rustler. When I want a fast rustler I play with my 5700 when I want to just jump and bash I use the 4600. With the stock vxl on a 2s 5000mah battery pack seeing around 150 155 geared 19/86 same batt and gearing with a 3800 a around 138 140 but had loads more torque wheelie at any speed.
    Why is common sense so..... uncommon?

I think the difference between the 2 pole VXL system and the 4 pole 3800 Castle set up is substantial. Not because of the slight kv difference but because of the 4 pole vs 2 pole and the fact that the can of the 3800 is a little longer.

IMO the 2400kv motor is not a good chice for a Rusty unless you are building a dedicated speed run car. The motor is too big and heavy and really over powered to use in a Rusty that is going to backed or really driven in any manner other than speed runs. Also the 2400 would need at least aq 3s and mayb e even a 4s to come to life where the 3800 is happy on either 2s or 3s if geared properly.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I think the difference between the 2 pole VXL system and the 4 pole 3800 Castle set up is substantial. Not because of the slight kv difference but because of the 4 pole vs 2 pole and the fact that the can of the 3800 is a little longer.

IMO the 2400kv motor is not a good chice for a Rusty unless you are building a dedicated speed run car. The motor is too big and heavy and really over powered to use in a Rusty that is going to backed or really driven in any manner other than speed runs. Also the 2400 would need at least aq 3s and mayb e even a 4s to come to life where the 3800 is happy on either 2s or 3s if geared properly.
    +1 on this, my 2400kv/mmp showed no sign of being fast on 3s, than i threw a 4s in it and watched the beast awaken.
    2400kv rusty ~ 4100kv merv
    Revo .26 X2
    Jato .21

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    YES!!!

I replaced my VXL system with the CC 3800 system in my 4WD Slash, night and day difference. More power, more speed, more grin! You will need lipos for the CC3800 system, NiMH packs cannot handle the amount of juice is pull; my NiMHs ran about 180deg/F.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Awesome thanks y'all! I already have two lipos I run with the vxl system, spc 2s 5000mah 30c. I just bought two new pinions 19t & 23t. Maybe that will satisfy me until I deicide to buy the castle system or not. What kind of gearing would get me around a consistent 40-50mph range with the castle? I am all factory but with Gladiators in the rear.

RC Qualifier
    I love my 3800 for one reason, it stays so cool, I run a high gear on 3s and barely get to 150 degrees in the summer. My vel. used to cook in the summer heat. I run 83/28 in sand with paddle tires with no problem. Don't get me wrong the 3500 traxxas is great just gets too hot on 3s. You will need good batteries if you go 3800 40 c should be plenty. get some 4300 mah 3s packs youll be set. Dont go crazy and buy a heavy 6400 3s 65c pack, I did it was just too heavy and the 4300 is much lighter and gets the same performance?

Thats the main reason I want to upgrade the system. I am wanting to have more options and heat not always be an issue. Then I'll have a vxl system laying around and I can start looking for a slash or stampede roller. Win win

RC Enthusiast
    Wow, the VXL motor isn't a 4-pole? I had no idea; I've never owned a VXL motor. Then why does everyone rave about them. After knowing that, I'll never buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by badaboom7 View Post
    Wow, the VXL motor isn't a 4-pole? I had no idea; I've never owned a VXL motor. Then why does everyone rave about them. After knowing that, I'll never buy one.
    The Velineon being a 2 pole motor doesn't make it bad. I think it's pretty powerful and durable.
    Nobody is born with experience

The vxl system is pretty tough. I mean for a factory system to be able to push a 6 pound car to 70mph is not too bad. The only, I repeat the only, thing I do not like about the velineon system is it gets hot pretty easily. That is why I am considering the castle 3800. I want more options of gearing and not being overly limited due to heat issues. If I do in fact get the castle system I will probably buy a slash or stampede roller and throw that in there. Who knows lol.

RC Qualifier
    the castle can be geared really high too, I tried 83/31 a few times, oh my !! what what insane speed, It didnt even get that hot to my suprise, this was even off road bashing

That is good to know because all I do is 95% off road. I want to able to do this with 40-50mph speeds

RC Qualifier
    Look up my MMP basher fan mod , I run a constant fan on my esc to keep in cool as a cucumber lol

RC Qualifier
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt3ljm3tmu...2006.46.43.jpg

here is a pic of the bash proof fan mod

Picture did not work role.

The old ones were 2 poles. The new ones are 4 poles. Give or take a month, all of the old 2 pole's will be out of stock, meaning only the 4 poles will be out.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Enthusiast
    Is there anyway to tell the difference between the old and new by looking at them?

Is there anyway to tell the difference between the old and new by looking at them?
    Yes, the new ones have braided motor wires, the old ones are just rubber coated.

You can see the pictures of it in this thread.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-Motor-an-ESC

Who knew! I had no idea there was a 4 pole VXL system out there now. Wonder how it compares to the castle 3800. Does this mean the 4 pole vxl should run cooler and allow for better gearing options?

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    Who knew! I had no idea there was a 4 pole VXL system out there now. Does this mean the 4 pole vxl should run cooler and allow for better gearing options?
    Yep! It's pretty much twice as as good over the old 2 pole VXL.

I guess time will tell how it compares to the castle system then. Cannot wait to how it stacks up

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Yep! It's pretty much twice as as good over the old 2 pole VXL.
    have you ran it or seen it run I'm interested in actual facts not what they tell us really want to hear 3s temps

Quote Originally Posted by madscrapper85 View Post
    have you ran it or seen it run I'm interested in actual facts not what they tell us really want to hear 3s temps
    We ran them at my hobby shop, and there was quite the difference. The 4 pole system ran so much faster and better than the old 2 pole system did. Sorry, we didn't bother temping anything since it was raining outside.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    We ran them at my hobby shop, and there was quite the difference. The 4 pole system ran so much faster and better than the old 2 pole system did. Sorry, we didn't bother temping anything since it was raining outside.
    thats cool if you get another chance please let us know I'm still a die hard castle customer had too many problems with the original vxl's. I'm not down with the trade in scheme (espically since you can pick up a sw3/3800 for like $115) so its like $138 shipped the cheapest I can find it. Nice to know there maybe another good 4 pole player in the mix though.

If you live in the US you can get the castle system shipped for about $100

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    If you live in the US you can get the castle system shipped for about $100
    +1 your right you really can't beat that deal its a great set up

I'm curious what the specs of the new/revised VXL-3s are. Depending on how much more power it can handle than the old one, it might be better than a Castle combo with a Sidewinder.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    I know it's still just 3s with no programming interface other than the transmitter, they did put the caps on it so hopefully the bec is better. Don't see it being much more than 90a.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The important fact is that the new esc's rev limiter can handle 4 pole motors. The old vxl will run the 2400 cc on 2s just fine, but 3s, it wont work. The new esc can run the castle motors.

The other way to tell it is a new 4 pole traxxas is the part number on the motors end cap. # 3351R
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...