Thread: What to upgrade

RC Competitor

What to upgrade

I recently bought a Slash 4x4 and was wanting to know what to upgrade first. I have already bought new front shocks, engine fan, and RPM A Arms. Im wanting to buy a Billet Machined T3 Complete Conversion Kit from Integy but cant afford it at the moment. Please leave your comments about what i should buy, because I am fairly new to RC cars. Thanks.

-Heckwine

I wouldnt get the integy kit. They aren't known for quality. I would recommend a strc bellcrank. If you have the stock vxl then maybe the castle 3800kv also.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Competitor
    How fast will the 3800kv make it go? Because right now I am looking more towards strength than speed.

If you gear it the same as stock it will go maybe 1 mph faster. The main thing is that it gives more torque and reduces temps.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    aluminum adapter and motor mount would be good. some people like the king headz motor mount and adaptor or strc motor mount. traxxas makes a motor mount for the hcg chassis as well as adaptor. Not sure what the motor will do but I think its a 4 pole motor which is better and i dont know if it's compatible with the stock esc. You're taking a chance buying aluminum parts or anything else from integy as they'll quality can be very poor most of the time.
    Last edited by guy45ot; 06-27-2014 at 08:32 PM.

RC Competitor
    What brands are the best for upgrade parts, gears, motors, ect?

RC Qualifier
    Mip, tekno, proline, rpm, kinkheadz, strc, traxxas of course, castle esc's and motors, the new esc and motor from traxxas should be much better but I think its more expensive then castles. There maybe a few more upgrade companies that I forgot

That kit looks like a lot of wasted money for parts that don't need to be aluminum, especially since you already upgraded some of those same parts. I've never used Integy parts so I can't say if they are good or bad. I always see bad reviews so I don't intend to buy anything from them.

Honestly, I would get a temp gun to see how the stock system is handling the terrain you drive on. If it's running at a good temp (without the fan) I would keep the stock system unless I wanted more speed and higher cell count batteries. If you have a brand new slash you may have the improved motor and esc which may not need to be changed at all. I would also look at the tires and see how they handle the terrain you drive on and decide if they need to be replaced. There are tires for every type of surface, so if yours are slipping all over the place I would replace them.

If you bought your slash used I would replace the differentials, all the bearings, and any part that looks worn out first. I would also get the temp gun and check the system.

First of all let me say, " Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are part of a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

Did you get the Ultimate, Platinum or standard edition? We can better help you with that information.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Ya, as el sob says, which slash do you have. There are a few parts that are different between the hcg one or the lcg one. Plus it would be awesome if you have the brand new slash as it has improved esc/motor and a few other improved parts that may not need upgrading. Wondering how much the new slash is as well since its got improved parts and looking at the parts list on line it lists the esc/motor combo as over 300 dollars, I paid 356 dollars for mine, new!, so I'm thinking the base model with the improvements is more expensive

RC Competitor
    I believe it is the standard edition. I also bought it used from a guy who didn't get to use it much and took great care of it. Sadly, I don't think I've taken the best care of some pieces, especially the bearings, haha. Today I was running it on a baseball diamond and it just randomly dropped severely in power. I opened it up and found that the stock plastic bearing adapter in the slipper clutch had melted and attached itself to the spring in the clutch due to the bearing overheating. Now both the bearing and adapter are broke, so I'm truckless until the aluminum adapter and bearing that I ordered from the traxxas part website arrives.

RC Qualifier
    Don't use 3s lipo's on the stock esc and motor as the stock system can't handle 3s even though traxxas said it could with the 2013 model. The new 2014 however might be able to as it seems to have a different designed esc/motor but that remains to be seen, but the new model has other improvements that make it a little better

RC Competitor
    I have the 2013 model, so I think I'm going to eventually buy a SPC 5000mAh 2s lipo and a Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder and 3800kv motor.