Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

Anyone use the new vxl 4 pole motor and new esc?

Has anyone gotten their hands on a new 4 pole vxl system and put it to the test? I have heard that u can send your old esc and motor and upgrade to the new system not sure if this is true. If it is I would think about doing it myself seeing as I have a could vxl motors and esc laying around. Before I would do that I would want to know how these things run heatwise on 3s and how much better are they. Really I would have no complaints if it was same power as old system just ran coolers temps.

Just got mine yesterday. Got it for $125. Didn't wanna send mine in. I'm gonna give it to my nephew. I have not ran it yet, but I might later tonight. I should have some feedback in the next few days

Quote Originally Posted by skmfkr View Post
    Just got mine yesterday. Got it for $125. Didn't wanna send mine in. I'm gonna give it to my nephew. I have not ran it yet, but I might later tonight. I should have some feedback in the next few days
    where did you got it so cheap man??!

RC Qualifier
    It's about time!! Just found and read through this, had some good info on it:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209428
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasvxlbasher View Post
    where did you got it so cheap man??!

dollarhobbyz has it cheap.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

I'm still waiting for the final word on this system. One guy says it's like running 3s and the next guy says the only difference is it runs cooler. I wish Jang did still did reviews.

RC Champion

$125 for the motor? Ouch, what's the part # on the 4 pole VXL motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Old Boy View Post
    I'm still waiting for the final word on this system. One guy says it's like running 3s and the next guy says the only difference is it runs cooler. I wish Jang did still did reviews.
    Might see a bit more torque and cooler temps, lol no it won't be like running 3's lol, well sure it will be like running 3's with a 3's lipo.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 07-03-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    $125 for the motor? Ouch, what's the part # on the 4 pole VXL motor?
    He probably got the esc & motor for that price. You need a new esc to run the motor.

RC Champion

Ya found it, 3351r and 3355r. Will be a great setup for 2's.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 07-03-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Yeah it's the combo from dollar hobbies

Ya found it, 3351r and 3355r. Will be a great setup for 2's.
    They aren't making anything up. Someone already confirmed it a 4 pole motor and the esc can also run the 4 pole 2400kv

As far as running 3s with the new system its still a 3500kv motor no mater the poles, my 3800kv castles get hot quick on 3s as will the new velineon, they may run cooler a little longer but not much, rpm per kv is still the same.
    If more power and running 3s is desired a 2400kv castle, funny car motor or other similer kv of some other brand will be required, a 540 can can only do so much.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion

No I ment Traxxas support saying they don't support internet rumours, seen a post somewhere on the boards today someone getting a response from them like that, must of been a while back I'm not sure I didn't look at the date.

You can see different part # on the end cap on motor and capacitators on the vxl3s ESC

And true billy, wouldn't recommend 3s at all. Heck I can barely get 1 pack in on my rally without over heating and that's on 2's, doesn't like my driving style. Should be 2wd only IMO
    Last edited by Stephan81; 07-03-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Yeah I'm gonna try it in my 2wd and 4wd, but I plan on getting the 2400 for my 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    As far as running 3s with the new system its still a 3500kv motor no mater the poles, my 3800kv castles get hot quick on 3s as will the new velineon, they may run cooler a little longer but not much, rpm per kv is still the same.
    If more power and running 3s is desired a 2400kv castle, funny car motor or other similer kv of some other brand will be required, a 540 can can only do so much.
    Just wondering what you got on gearing with the 3800.
    So far with my MMP3800, I get 93F on the ESc and 126F on the motor with 79F out side on 3s geared 14/54, until battery tuns out, track bashing traxxas 5000Mah 25c 3s battery. I am still trying to compare it to every ones temp on the 4x4 slash.
    Thanks
    Live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Just wondering what you got on gearing with the 3800.
    So far with my MMP3800, I get 93F on the ESc and 126F on the motor with 79F out side on 3s geared 14/54, until battery tuns out, track bashing traxxas 5000Mah 25c 3s battery. I am still trying to compare it to every ones temp on the 4x4 slash.
    Thanks
    Running 15/56 in a 2wd slash my 3800 will run 160f within ten minutes.
    When we run drags (2wd) three to four runs and a cool down is required, this is with approximately 80f ambient temps.

Your temps are outstanding for a 3800, I wish I could get close to them, I've never ran anything but 2400kv or 1/8 scale motors in my 4wds.
    Hope this helps, just can't give a 4x4 comparison.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Running 15/56 in a 2wd slash my 3800 will run 160f within ten minutes.
    When we run drags (2wd) three to four runs and a cool down is required, this is with approximately 80f ambient temps.

Your temps are outstanding for a 3800, I wish I could get close to them, I've never ran anything but 2400kv or 1/8 scale motors in my 4wds.
    Hope this helps, just can't give a 4x4 comparison.
    Thanks I have been blessed with my MMP3800, even on the 2wd pede for the past year and a half, it has never reached above 147F, geared at 18/58 to 21/58 on 2s and 3s 12/58 and 15/58
    Live life to the fullest

I saw a new Slash 4x4 at the Hobbytown in Indianapolis. It had the four pope motor and new esc. The esc had visible capacitors and the motor had that choppy four pole feel. I asked the staff if anyone had run one yet but no one had.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I saw a new Slash 4x4 at the Hobbytown in Indianapolis. It had the four pope motor and new esc. The esc had visible capacitors and the motor had that choppy four pole feel. I asked the staff if anyone had run one yet but no one had.
    Thanks El Sob, that choppy four pole feel, confirms that the motor is a 4pole motor. Traxxas its about time, know how about a motor mount that will not flex, to handle your new motor. JMO
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    I got that vxl combo on the way when I get I'll let everyone know how it runs

RC Qualifier
    Really interested in hearing the results from the new motors, the 2pole actually did have a lot of power-it just ran way, way too hot. As long as this motor runs cooler with the same or more power, it will be huge for Traxxas.

Who makes the Velineon motors for Traxxas, are they outsourced or do they actually design & make their own?

RC Enthusiast
    My Slash 4x4 has the new system. What do people want to know? My Slash is currently a MT running at 10/54 with 2.8 Trenchers.

It still get's hot....very hot....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by biaxid3nt View Post
    My Slash 4x4 has the new system. What do people want to know? My Slash is currently a MT running at 10/54 with 2.8 Trenchers.

2s or 3s? Grass height or running conditions? Temp from a temp gun would be helpful as burned fingers only prove how we're not immortal
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion

What's very hot? Temps? 3's lipo? After 1 pack? ESC and motor temps after how long?

It will be interesting to compare it with my MMP3800, yesterday on tall grass, outside in the 80s, my temps on 3s 12/54 were max of 147F on my motor and around 123F on the ESC, was impressed, this was a full pack run first tome on grass, lent the truck to diff family and friends while running other trucks.
    Now I have to fix a wheel. For what ever reason, it got chewed from the outside, locked itself further (probably lost a pin on the hex), now will trey to figure out how to remove the nut......
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    What's very hot? Temps? 3's lipo? After 1 pack? ESC and motor temps after how long?

I was running in 3-4 inch grass with ambient temps around 80-85F. The battery was a 2S 25C 5000mah battery. ESC temp was low 100's while the motor was 197 at the highest point. This was at the end of one pack running hard. That being said the motor is great and hasn't had any issues whatsoever. If everyone is expecting a motor to run in the low 120's then I think you should look elsewhere. I have a broken A-Arm so as soon as I get the replacement and get the truck back together I will take some pictures.

RC Champion
    I was running in 3-4 inch grass with ambient temps around 80-85F. The battery was a 2S 25C 5000mah battery. ESC temp was low 100's while the motor was 197 at the highest point. This was at the end of one pack running hard. That being said the motor is great and hasn't had any issues whatsoever. If everyone is expecting a motor to run in the low 120's then I think you should look elsewhere. I have a broken A-Arm so as soon as I get the replacement and get the truck back together I will take some pictures.

Mk so it sounds alright. Wonder how it does with speed runs.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Champion
    Not any different I am guessing. Temps like that on 2's. Glad I never bought one out of impulse.

RC Enthusiast
    If you thought the Slash 4x4 drivetrain was loud before, try out one of the new VXL systems!

I wouldn't dare put 3S in this thing. But for simple bashing and having fun in the dirt/water/sand/grass the combo does very well considering the big tires, jacked up suspension, and added weight of extended body mounts, etc.

RC Champion
    What was your gearing?
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Champion
    10/54 he said above ^^

RC Racer
    197?? That's super hot. I have only gotten my 2pole that hot once on 3s with the high speed pinion in. I don't know why the drivetrain would be any louder with a different motor. Sounds like maybe something is wrong or binding causing you to run that hot. I can run the crap out of my 2 pole on 2s and maybe be 165f.

RC Enthusiast
    Funny you mention binding. When I got the Slash the rear diff was tightened way too tight and there was significant binding. Everything has since been tore down and rebuilt with 60k diff fluid and the Kingzhead motor mount. There is no binding in the drivetrain now.

This 4 pole system is louder than my other 2 pole Velineon's.

RC Champion
    I can easily get my r4lly/slash to those temps in one pack on 2's and running smaller tires, no I don't have any binding issues trust me lol, a little OCD here (currently not running VXL system but this is when I did, geared usually stock and I think at one time was on 14/52 on my rally, can never get more than one pack in on 2's, 3's id run for 10minutes if that). I run in big areas and lots of wide open throttle and stopping. Doesn't matter whether its my sl4sh,r4lly, or p4de same results. Pretty bad when your floored on 2s and feel like your barely moving lol, which is why im in the process of getting rid of all my 2's and buying a few 4's.

Drive terrain might seem louder due to more resistance on the motor due to it being 4 pole, same when you roll the truck on the ground, much more choppy feeling, if you've never had a 4 pole or 6, you would almost think somethings not right and binding, its the resistence of the motor.

mine does make a funny sound, but only when its about to stop rolling

I guess every one mist my reply earlier.
    On my MMP 3800, geared 12/58 on 3s, temps were 147F on motor and 123F on ESC, mid 80s outside, on tall grass. Friends and I were amazed and re checked several times, that's the highest recorded, so I am very happy with my installation, by the way these were on mashers on desperado wheels.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I guess every one mist my reply earlier.
    On my MMP 3800, geared 12/58 on 3s, temps were 147F on motor and 123F on ESC, mid 80s outside, on tall grass. Friends and I were amazed and re checked several times, that's the highest recorded, so I am very happy with my installation, by the way these were on mashers on desperado wheels.

yea I don't know what it is about the mmp3800 but it takes a lick and keeps kicking! And at a good temp!
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Racer
    I can't believe they put in a new system that runs as hot as the old system

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift4life View Post
    I can't believe they put in a new system that runs as hot as the old system

could be settings. But I believe with a different esc, it will be awesome just like how the old vxl 2 pole was limited by the vxl 3s esc in power.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast