RC poster

Shock/Spring/Oil for Mamba Monster2 2650kv w/ 3s/4s Li-po

Hey guys, just need some help with a topic Im sure some of you have encountered before. I have been looking at power systems for my HCG sl4sh MT build. I'm thinking of going with the mamba monster2 2650kv as well as a couple other similar setups that would require 3s/4s batts.

I spent some time looking at manufacturers weight specs for their motors/controllers and batteries. It looks like you could fairly quickly add 6-8 ounces+ to the truck and I think that's going to be a potential problem getting the suspension to work properly and thinking about how I would overcome it bottoming out on even smaller jumps with that much extra weight.

I know a lot of you run the bigger systems and I was wondering what you do. I wasn't sure if you normally went with 1/8 scale shocks, or it could be rectified simply by changing springs and/or oil.

My truck will be used on a variety of surfaces and a fair amount of small/medium jumps (no school buses)
    T-minus whenever it feels right

Quote Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
    Hey guys, just need some help with a topic Im sure some of you have encountered before. I have been looking at power systems for my HCG sl4sh MT build. I'm thinking of going with the mamba monster2 2650kv as well as a couple other similar setups that would require 3s/4s batts.

I spent some time looking at manufacturers weight specs for their motors/controllers and batteries. It looks like you could fairly quickly add 6-8 ounces+ to the truck and I think that's going to be a potential problem getting the suspension to work properly and thinking about how I would overcome it bottoming out on even smaller jumps with that much extra weight.

I know a lot of you run the bigger systems and I was wondering what you do. I wasn't sure if you normally went with 1/8 scale shocks, or it could be rectified simply by changing springs and/or oil.

My truck will be used on a variety of surfaces and a fair amount of small/medium jumps (no school buses)
    great combo there i have the mxl-6s and funny car motor 2400kv. i just put the shocks 1-2 holes inward the chassis and put 45wt oil in.

RC Champion
    I run the stock shocks, with Integy copper colored springs. We use 90 wt oil with dual stage pistons, tini shafts and aluminum caps. Handles great for some serious jumps and bashing.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

The 2650 while a great motor will disassemble the slash in a hurry, in fact one good pull of the throttle.
    Some things to think about with this and the 2200 mm2 upgrades, new axles, e revo diffs, and e revo slipper just to start.
    I run both the above mentioned systems as well as the 2200 Rx-8 combination, things are going to break.
    If you desire a motor that will deliver all the slash can take and a bit more the 2400 550can will put you there with just an axle upgrade to start, the motor will also handle 3s and 4s fine as well.
    As far as shock oils I've never been one for the thicker stuff, 30 or 40 maybe 45 weight do the job well for me, springs will have to be addressed with stronger ones however.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    All of us can give suggestions but the shocks and how there setups all come down to 3 things how you the drivers drives. What type of conditions your are running in and what you are looking for in your truck to be nimble and fast or to be a beast and a great basher monster truck. With my truck i have a mmp2400 setup and run losi scte shocks and black springs up front and the lighter silver spring in the back to reduce the bouncyness off the jumps from the rear end I have 35wt oil in them. I suggest getting the best shocks you can buy with your budget and get several spring rates and a multi pack of shock oils and go from there. Hope this helps.

RC poster
    Thanks for the help!

I am pretty sold on the Mamba Monster2 ESC. I love that it's waterproof, and I love that it can handle a couple of future projects I have in mind, E-Revo & 1/8 buggy which I would likely build from rollers. So if it's too much system for the sl4sh (and that seems to depend upon who you ask) then I will have use for it anyway. But yeah, I'm aware of the appropriate upgrades and actually the amount of cash I have to throw at this project is not totally umm "wife approved" and that could have a lot to do with what I end up choosing. Happy wife, happy life!

So I am pretty sold on the MM2 and my motors I'm more less down to the 2650kv and the 2400kv. Since the 2650kv comes bundled with the MM2 that means I'm likely going that route and do the appropriate upgrades, and if I find it's too powerful for my liking, I can pick up the funny car 2400 easy enough.

As far as the suspension. I was just looking on ebay and it looks like I can get new GTR shocks for $50-$55 shipped. Aren't they a little bit larger shock than the stock plastic shocks? I'm hoping there are some spring choices for those and maybe that would be a good road to take?

*Edit*

I was just looking in "support" at the parts list for the sl4sh ultimate and it shows 5 different springs available for the front and rear GTR shocks.
    Last edited by Hairtrigger; 07-12-2014 at 06:29 AM.

RC poster
    Edit#2 looks like some folks are buying Losi spring sets for the GTRs.

So let me know if you think I would be better off with GTRs using Losi spring sets, or going with 1/8th shocks. I'm not clear on if the 1/8s are a direct bolt on or not.

Thanks
    HT

RC Competitor
    I run the mm2 2650 combo on 4s in my sl4sh with 20/54 gearing and it's held up pretty great. These are the upgrades I did: XO1 diffs, tekno axels all around, upgraded slipper from hot racing, and the black gtr springs. I can't say anything about the 1/8 scale shocks since I haven't tried them but the gtr's have been doing great.