Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: What to get

  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2

    What to get

    I am going to get a stampede vxl 2wd or slash vxl 2wd. I can't figure out which to get. I'm just gonna be bashing. What's better

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    315
    I have both and I have a blast with my stampede. The smaller tires with less aggressive tread on the slash do not get near as much grip and it will get stuck easier, but the slash will handle a little better as its not a wheelie monster or as top heavy.
    2x 2wd Slash|Slash 4x4 PE|MM E-Revo|Grave Digger

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier Thefixxer73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm here
    Posts
    655
    Get the Slash and make it a Slash MT (monster truck) but putting bigger tires and rims on it. Suggested combo would be 2.8 Trencher MT tires on any rim of your choice (most common is Desperado) using fronts on all 4 corners.

    Slash MT will give you the stability of the Slash with the off road ability of a Stampede. All the parts are interchangeable between the two trucks with the only significant difference being the chassis, steering set up, skids, and the tire/rim combo. Otherwise they are identical assemblies front and rear. You could get one or the other and buy the chassis for the other and swap them out to what you like best. Cost of the truck plus less than $10 for a chassis. I would suggest the Slash initially because of the different steering assembly. If you go with p2de you also need bellcranks to switch to the slash steering.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 07-14-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    This space reserved

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    I would get a Stampede VXL if you want to get an RC out of the box that's able to bash. The Slash MT is cool I'm working on one now but it cost more to build and time.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

  5. #5
    RC Champion No One's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,196
    Depends where you are driving it. Slash is more durable, but can not handle grass.
    MT is the best of all worlds, but cost goes up.
    Out of the box, the Stampede is a better basher for grass and rougher terrain.
    The steering set up on the Stampede is its greatest weakness IMO.
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede - 4x4 x3
    Prerunner x3
    Teton

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier Thefixxer73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm here
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    The steering set up on the Stampede is its greatest weakness IMO.
    Agreed. 2nd only to the castors and that affects both models. Don't know why Traxxas don't just include aluminum and charge just a tad more for the RTRs. That or engineer a stronger stock part. They gotta know its a severe weak point.
    This space reserved

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    Agreed. 2nd only to the castors and that affects both models. Don't know why Traxxas don't just include aluminum and charge just a tad more for the RTRs. That or engineer a stronger stock part. They gotta know its a severe weak point.
    That's why theres RPM parts.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_summit757 View Post
    That's why theres RPM parts.
    But the RPM parts allow more flex in a spot where rigidity is the key. It sucks trying to mess with bent king pins. Aluminum is the way to go no question

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    I would get this if you want Aluminum Parts http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...w#.U8REyKVOV1s.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Alice, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,450
    I would have to strongly disagree with the post above, junk IMO. If your going aluminum stick with TRX or STRC.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    Most of my parts are TRX but that Integy kit has work for my friend well.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier Thefixxer73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm here
    Posts
    655
    If you are lucky enough to get Integy parts that were milled right they will work fine. Integy, for a number of years got a bad rap for imperfections in milling, which they continue to do. Agree with strc and TRX. Hot Racing is also nice quality for aluminum parts.
    This space reserved

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    If you are lucky enough to get Integy parts that were milled right they will work fine. Integy, for a number of years got a bad rap for imperfections in milling, which they continue to do. Agree with strc and TRX. Hot Racing is also nice quality for aluminum parts.
    Milling is only a small part of the problem with Integy parts. All the precision in the world doesn't make up for the garbage alloy they use.

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Alice, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,450
    How are they still in business? Also I have never understood why certain brands are banned from this site and quite frankly there parts and service is much better then this junk, ban integy IMO.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    How are they still in business? Also I have never understood why certain brands are banned from this site and quite frankly there parts and service is much better then this junk, ban integy IMO.
    Not sure about all of them, but I do know that at least one company is banned because they sell cheap knock-off connectors under the Traxxas name.

  16. #16
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Alice, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,450
    That's quite ironic and that's all I'm going to say about that lol.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

  17. #17
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    That's quite ironic and that's all I'm going to say about that lol.
    That's probably a much wiser choice than the one you made to bring it up in the first place.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  18. #18
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    Get the Slash and make it a Slash MT (monster truck) but putting bigger tires and rims on it. Suggested combo would be 2.8 Trencher MT tires on any rim of your choice (most common is Desperado) using fronts on all 4 corners.

    Slash MT will give you the stability of the Slash with the off road ability of a Stampede. All the parts are interchangeable between the two trucks with the only significant difference being the chassis, steering set up, skids, and the tire/rim combo. Otherwise they are identical assemblies front and rear. You could get one or the other and buy the chassis for the other and swap them out to what you like best. Cost of the truck plus less than $10 for a chassis. I would suggest the Slash initially because of the different steering assembly. If you go with p2de you also need bellcranks to switch to the slash steering.


    What do i need to make a slash MT

  19. #19
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Alice, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,450

    What to get

    2.8 wheels and tires, a body like a svt raptor(many other options as well), and different body mounts, I believe on the front I'm using a p4de front mount flipped around.







    This is for the sl4sh mind you. Same idea for the 2wd, body mounts are different though. I've never owned a sl2sh.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 07-14-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    My slash MT has a Pro line Summit Apoc body.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier Thefixxer73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    I'm here
    Posts
    655

    What to get

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    2.8 wheels and tires, a body like a svt raptor.
    That looks bad!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-14-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    This space reserved

  22. #22
    RC Champion No One's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitkoj View Post
    What do i need to make a slash MT
    Also change gearing.
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede - 4x4 x3
    Prerunner x3
    Teton

  23. #23
    RC Champion No One's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,196
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede - 4x4 x3
    Prerunner x3
    Teton

  24. #24
    RC Champion No One's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,196
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede - 4x4 x3
    Prerunner x3
    Teton

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier Shadow_summit757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newport News VA
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    That was Awesome
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •