RC poster

Is this motor any good?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DU49W3O/...I3SPED50NBAXF9

I don't want to invest in jumping to lipos yet so I'm looking at a replacement motor for my Bandit (24054) once the Titan dies. So here are my questions:

- Will this fit in my Bandit?
    - Will I need to swap out any other parts with this motor?
    - Would anyone suggest any other motor to run with my current NiMH batteries?

RC Champion
    The motor will fit but it will require a brushless esc since it is a brushless motor. I would suggest saving up and going brushless with a lipo and a charger. Until then, the titan 12t or 21t are perfectly fine.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

As mentioned above, it would fit.
    Again as mentioned above, it will require a brushless ESC.
    Electrifly S-600. (Needs a flat spot ground into the shaft for the pinion set screw.)

FWIW, with the linked motor, the very deep fins = small rotor. I'd pass with or without a brushless ESC.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

You can run a brushless system without lipo batts

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by skmfkr View Post
    You can run a brushless system without lipo batts
    Any brushless? What's the recommended motor/esc to use with nimh?

Is the 600 the best brushed that can be used with the stock esc?

You need to be careful with brushless and NiMH, just about anything more powerful that the stock VXL will cook your NiMH batteries; they just are not designed to deliver the amount of power higher-end brushless ESCs try to pull from them.

If you want to stay brushed, this is a good replacement. The link if from Tower, but you can find it cheaper other places:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBYRG&P=ML

When shopping for a replacement brushed motor, you want a motor with 15turns or more. The Titan says 12-turn on the label, but that is rated against a 550 size motor, not the 540 sized motor that it actually is. In reality, it is a 19 turn motor (might be 17T, but don't think so). The XL-5 can safely handle motors that 15 turns and more.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Wouldn't that motor require re-gearing?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Wouldn't that motor require re-gearing?
    Shouldn't need to, it is just a couple of turns lower that the Titan, but should be quicker off the line and a bit more top end. With any motor/gearing change, I would check temps every five minutes or so for the first two packs, to make sure the motor doesn't over heat.

That motor is also rebuildable, but parts might be kind of hard to come by. However, if it is properly broken in and maintained, he should get a heck of a lot more life out if it than he would a Titan. The last one of those I had lasted for over three years of hard running. One day it lost power, pulling it apart discovering the brushes were worn down to the spings.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    You need to be careful with brushless and NiMH, just about anything more powerful that the stock VXL will cook your NiMH batteries; they just are not designed to deliver the amount of power higher-end brushless ESCs try to pull from them.

If you want to stay brushed, this is a good replacement. The link if from Tower, but you can find it cheaper other places:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBYRG&P=ML

When shopping for a replacement brushed motor, you want a motor with 15turns or more. The Titan says 12-turn on the label, but that is rated against a 550 size motor, not the 540 sized motor that it actually is. In reality, it is a 19 turn motor (might be 17T, but don't think so). The XL-5 can safely handle motors that 15 turns and more.
    Thanks Scott - I don't really care if I stay brushed. Just looking for the best motor (and if need be esc) I can use with my NiMH batteries. So your recommendation would be to use the SpeedGems 17 with my stock xl5 esc?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeck11 View Post
    Thanks Scott - I don't really care if I stay brushed. Just looking for the best motor (and if need be esc) I can use with my NiMH batteries. So your recommendation would be to use the SpeedGems 17 with my stock xl5 esc?
    You're willing to invest in a new motor and ESC, but not lipos? If it were me, I'd stay with the stock motor and ESC and buy a nice 2S lipo instead. Like a 5000ma 50C 2S lipo. I mean, you're talking less than $35. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by badaboom7 View Post
    You're willing to invest in a new motor and ESC, but not lipos? If it were me, I'd stay with the stock motor and ESC and buy a nice 2S lipo instead. Like a 5000ma 50C 2S lipo. I mean, you're talking less than $35. Just my two cents.
    The only problem is having to buy a charger for the Lipo, which is another $50-80 for one that is decent. But, I follow you line of reasoning. I'd get the charger first, then get the lipos, then new ESC and motor. His Titan isn't dead, he just planning for when it does die.

RC Enthusiast
    If you're on a budget, you could always buy Traxxas charger no. 2935; although, it would take all day to charge.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Actually, Just found this budget duratrax charger.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDVNT&P=ML

3a,20w, up to 4s packs for 25$

Not a bad starter charger.

Cons:
    Lipo only, no storage charge, only 20w(3 and 4s packs will not be able to charge at the full 3 amps...)
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The only problem is having to buy a charger for the Lipo, which is another $50-80 for one that is decent. But, I follow you line of reasoning. I'd get the charger first, then get the lipos, then new ESC and motor. His Titan isn't dead, he just planning for when it does die.
    Yeah, Scott nailed it perfectly.

Full brushless replacement=
    Battery - $60 (would need multiple of these to compare to what I currently have)
    Charger - $60
    ESC + motor - $100

I've got over $100 invested in NiMH now and just got into the hobby 2 weeks ago. Wife would shoot me if I said I needed to go drop another $250.

I just want to know (before my Titan dies) what a good replacement is that can leverage my current battery investment.

Thanks to everyone for the input already!

RC Competitor
    I may be late on this, but those heatsinks in that first brushed motor mean its basically a 380 sized motor in a 540 can. That's a ripoff in my opinion. Also, if you go brushless, then look into the sidewinder sv3 combo from castle creations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeck11 View Post
    I've got over $100 invested in NiMH now and just got into the hobby 2 weeks ago. Wife would shoot me if I said I needed to go drop another $250.
    While Titan motors are not known for their longevity, if you don't make a habbit of running it through mud and water, and if you do regular maintenance one it, you should be able to get a good amount of life out of it.

As far as the battery issue goes, I think I have the solution...
    Get another RC truck! I use my NiMH packs on my scaler, a 3300mha pack lasts over an hour. That way you can upgrade to lipos, the NiMHs won't go to waste, and everyone is happy!