Thread: Mix and Match

RC poster

Question Mix and Match

So the LaTrax folks sent me a replacement motor for one of the B motors that went bad a week or so ago.
    I just installed it and re-calibrated and everything is hunky-dory... but last week I also ordered 4 motors from MMW and I have them ready if I need them.

Does anyone know if you can mix these motors up? Is it possible to use an MMW motor with one or multiple stock motors?
    Would this cause a problem?

If you've given this a try I'd sure like to hear your response.
    Thanks!

I wouldn't do it. It might not mess anything up but it may make it harder to control.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

I haven't had any issues. I think my ESC/gyro took a dump as I replaced all my motors with a new set from Traxxas and one port is dead (verified with three different motors).
    The Super Derecho

I like the idea of having all the motors match but I think that is just in my head. I have mixed stock motors with V959 motors for a brief time and had no noticeable issues.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    I've mixed them up without any noticeable issue and ran it for many flights. Like most, I do try to have them all 4 the same.
    ------
    Alias w/ camera, 1/16 Summit, Stampede.

RC poster
    Lost another motor this morning and immediately replaced it with one of the MMW motors.
    Seems to be working like normal... I'm happy!

Just an FYI: I fly this puppy ALOT!

RC Qualifier
    I have a question. When you asked for replacements did you have to give like a receipt number or something?

RC poster
    If you are talking about Traxxas, they asked me to register my machine, sent me some tests to try (which it didn't pass) and then they wrote me back saying they were sending a motor. This second motor that has just died I haven't bothered to inform them... I just replaced it with the MMW motor... I don't want to play email tag with Traxxas for the next year or so and the MMW motors are relatively inexpensive.

RC Enthusiast
    2 months ago, I gad one motor fail. I called Traxxas Support and asked for 4 motors. They agreed and sent all 4 with no other questions asked. I did not give them any info except for my name and address.

RC poster
    Maybe they've been overwhelmed with requests for replacement motors.

RC Enthusiast
    I purchased and installed 4 of the MMW 15 motors and I noticed much snappier performance. But unfortunately I got a tough spec of dirt embedded in one of the motor's nylon gears - the gears bound up on the spec and the motor burned out (let that be a lesson to me). I replaced it with a 959 motor and now the thing performs like it's running on a set of four 959 motors - not as snappy. Theory: with auto-leveling engaged, the internal gyros will slow down the three faster motors to match the speed of the slowest motor in the set in order to maintain level flight. This is the same thing that happens when you have a motor that is failing during flight and even when pushing full throttle, the Alias simply settles gently to the ground and won't lift off. All motors are forced to behave like the slowest one in the set.

It's more than a theory. It's designed behavior.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =