RC poster

getting new slayer, any good hopups

im soon going to be getting a new slayer what are some good hopups for it to improve it. im using it to bash with so can i use 10% nitro. its my first nitro and ive herd that high % of nitro is hard to tune.

20% is fine too but it's up to you.
    There are not a whole lot of hop-ups for this truck, it is pretty stout in stock form and much is protected by the wider body. A lot of people change out the tires and rims--take a look through the gallery to see if anything interests you; some also change out the engine or at least the carb and pipe.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-01-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    20% nitro is great. That's what I ran. I also ran the losi 3.4 carb which gives more top end and holds the tune better imo. The stock pipe is good but something like the THS pipe is a good upgrade. Any sc tire and trenchers are good or you can run 3.2 revolvers with 17mm hex adapters. Some even have run the xo1 tires with the adapters and they look great. The first update I would suggest however is sway bars cause they will stable it up and reduce roll overs. And btw, when you rollover, you chance bending the chassis so do put on the optional engine brace. Other than sway bars, there's not too much necessary. Just go out and have a good time!
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

I just purchased a Slayer Pro for my 12yr. old (a little overoard on his first R/C car) and he loves it and can handle the superb power it puts out.
    I agree with ManDime sway bars are the first thing you may want to do because during break in at about the fifth tank you are running at high speeds and it feels like it's floating on air. Although it never really flipped but once I'm guessing since it's lower than my Maxx's it holds itself upright better. Talk about some mean power slides though!
    The next thing I purchased was another set of stock wheels with some Proline Blockades that handle the track near us great. It is red dirt and packs hard.
    When you purchase the sway bars it says it requires the Revo wing kit. On the Slayer Pro 4x4 it is not needed.

ManDime, I never heard of the engine brace (or the chassis bending) that you describe. Who makes it?

Jerry

RC poster
    i have a 1/16 slash and want more power and the smell and sound of nitro i also like tinkering with stuff

RC Champion
    Actually get the tekno sway bars as the traxxas sway bars require drilling. Yea going from 1/16 electric to 1/10 nitro is a big step up. The manual is your friend and bible and don't forget us. Nitro will get frustrating at times so it helps to have a friend who is into nitro.
    The engine brace is a metal you put under the engine mount. I rolled my slayer non stop when it was a slayer 2.5 with a 3.3 engine and locked diffs (stupidest idea ever, don't do it).
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    Actually get the tekno sway bars as the traxxas sway bars require drilling. Yea going from 1/16 electric to 1/10 nitro is a big step up. The manual is your friend and bible and don't forget us. Nitro will get frustrating at times so it helps to have a friend who is into nitro.
    The engine brace is a metal you put under the engine mount. I rolled my slayer non stop when it was a slayer 2.5 with a 3.3 engine and locked diffs (stupidest idea ever, don't do it).
    i have a friend that has a slayer and we bash alot but i caint keep up with my 1/16 so we usually just use his besides i like how it drives and it actually dont handle too bad in sand where we run

Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    Which one was the stupid idea, the 3.3 or the locked diffs.
    3.3 comes stock on the newer pro's I assume (lot's of power).

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Which one was the stupid idea, the 3.3 or the locked diffs.
    3.3 comes stock on the newer pro's I assume (lot's of power).

Lol the lock diffs are a bad idea. That's how I rolled over enough to bend my chassis.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Racer
    the pro comes with a brace like the revo ,if you want to go hardcore use the m2c chassis brace it does however require some drilling of the chassis

RC Qualifier
    I fitted the centre diff upgrade cos the front end lifted like crazy under exceleration, but that was on the original slayer although i kept it when i converted to pro and still seems ok
    I'm from rip off Britain

RC Racer

getting new slayer, any good hopups

I have the;
    - center diff & rear breaks from integy (Carbon fiber)
    - 12mm hex's for 6mm spindles (larger selection of rims)
    - heavy duty diffs from eRevo
    - badlands on slash offset rims
    - tekno front & traxxas rear sway bars
    - losi 3.4 carb
    - trinity pipe
    - avid bearing set
    - M2C chassis brace
    - high speed and high torque servos
    - battery pack
    - fluids and springs to your liking
    - pen mod on front and rear breaks

I think that's it. Hope this helps.
    Justin

A few other possible mods, but not on my truck:
    - tekno throttle servo mount
    - tekno battery box & tank mount (can move tank location and add a few different size tanks up to 220cc)
    - lipo battery
    - telemetry
    - upgraded hubs (several options)
    - vari rate shock pistons
    Last edited by Third Coast RC; 08-18-2014 at 06:20 PM.