RC Qualifier

Castle Creations fans/heatsink thoughts?

Does anyone use the CC Blower Fan/heatsink combo on their motors? Does it last? I read somewhere the blades break easily, or have they improved. Thinking of buying this or mounting a traxxas esc fan on a integy heat sink (as seen by another member here). I have used the HW mega fan on the traxxas vxl with out much luck. Seems to break quickly.

With summer time, the CC 1415 motor gets up to 150 degrees after about 25-30 mins of run time. I have ensured the settings on the HW SC8 esc to 0 degrees timing, no drag brake, punch at level 4, brakes at 25% and rarely even hit full throttle. Currently geared at 13/54. Happy with the speed geared this way for normal bashing, but gear differently for those speed runs. Going to run 23/52 on 4s here real soon, hehe. Just need a big, big smooth parking lot (have one in mind), and a series wire connector.

I have been through entire drivetrain, rebuilt front and rear diff 50k/30k and upgraded almost all the bearings to Fast Eddys. Clean the bearing in the KH motor mount and replace the aluminium bearing adapter with a fresh one. Also have a STRC finned motor plate. It rolls very, very smooth with the motor out. Using a SPC 6500mah 3s battery. My P4de weighs in at a staggering 7lbs 5.2 oz with battery and body. I use the Outerwears shroud to keep out rocks and such. There are no holes cut into the windshield yet, but may come to that, if a fan/heatsink doesn't help.

My temps just seem to run high compared to others members running this set up. Maybe just my driving style and terrain. Mostly cut grass, but ran in a dirt parking lot yesterday and experienced the about the same temps.

Hoping a fan will assist in lowering the temps into the 130s to 140s and able to run a full battery to LVC kicks in. Thanks for any opinions!
    Last edited by Hirschowl; 08-01-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    The message above or below may or may not be true

From my experience fans just dont last long especially if you run off road or jump at all. I have used many kinds and it always just seems like a matter of time before a blade breaks off. I try to avoid using fans if at all possible because of this and like heat sinks better even though they do not cool as much they are reliable. Castle Blowers were as good as any other fan I have used but both of the ones I have owned broke sooner or later.

Personally I would not worry for a second about a motor temp of 150
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    If after a half an hour of hard bashing and your motor temp is only 150F, I would say that's very good. It seems I'm reading a lot of threads about trucks running too hot, and most of the time they are running well within normal operating temps

I think too hot for Castle is 200F+ and for Traxxas(Velineon) its 180F+ so you are well below those numbers

RC Qualifier
    I have a castle fan on my motor it works good a little noise when u first turn it on but it works good.

I was on the brink of putting my hobbywing super fan on my tenshock but the heat wave has gone for the moment but I did get as high as 167f after 35 minutes of 3s.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks for the words guys. I have become a temp freak with my new motor. Last thing I want to do is cook it. If castles max is 200, then I should be just fine. May bash a bit longer next time. About to place an order so I think I will give the castle blower a go. Its only 10 bucks.

pretty sure thats a plastic case with a fan. you would be better off with an aluminum heatsink and fan

Get the same fan as me dude it's bigger with a stronger fan and its aluminium and longer too...peace

I have not had a problem with the fan on the motor. I did have one go bad on the esc though.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Get the same fan as me dude it's bigger with a stronger fan and its aluminium and longer too...peace
    Which fan is that? Can you link me to it please!

I still have two heatsinks from running the vxl system, the mega fan one. One is modded, the other is not. I think I give that a go next time I run and compare temps before I place and order. Need to get some thermal paste as well.

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/...-combo-c1-36mm thats the one I have dude its a beast......peace

RC Qualifier
    http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/...-combo-c1-36mm thats the one I have dude its a beast......peace

Thats the one I have been using when the vxl was in the P4de. Thanks though. Just the fan has crapped out twice on me. Second once quicker than the first. I will try that heatsink only next time I bash, but have been focusing on the crawler course I am building in the backyard. The battery for the P4de is at storage voltage right now...Suppose to be nice all week. We haven't seen more than three day in a row with out it raining since the first week of June. Maybe I charge the battery tonight so I can run tomorrow.

That's mad I know a few people who run that fan and have had no problems but that's luck of the draw bro..peace

RC Qualifier
    My kind of luck. Things like to break on my P4de alot, for awhile it seemed like every run. My SCX-10 is pretty solid, but also doesn't do cart wheels at 30mph and fly off ramps.

I went through a stage where my pede would break now and then but it's had all the kinks worked out lol apart from when I'm hitting vans in the street....peace

RC Qualifier
    It was the van that was in the way...

Yeah tell me about it dude how's your truck bro....peace

RC Enthusiast
    I have the Hot Racinf heatsink and fan on my motor and the traxxas fan on my ESC. I've been jumping plenty and this seems to be working awesome

RC Qualifier
    how's your truck bro....peace
    Haven't run it in awhile but just set it up for speed runs on pavement. I have been building a crawler course and wifes grandma just passed and had all the funeral stuff to go through. Currently charging batteries now. Picked up a series wire harness and going to run 4s tomorrow morning geared 23/54. Will report my speed and maybe video here when I get a chance.

I am sorry for your loss bro. My parts will be here Monday so I can start the rebuild and got some new trenchers because the others were heavily worn....peace

RC Qualifier
    On my MMP the fan started to make a noise at start up, I cleaned with nitro cleaner then put one drop of bearing oil on it. Three year old all is good.
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

That's a quality product for you dude ......peace

RC Qualifier
    Well ran in a big lot today. Hit 51.6mph with 3s SPC 6500mah 65c geared 23/54. Tried to run two SPC 2s 2500mah 50c in series to make a 4s. The HW SC8 saw it as a 4s (4 beeps) but kept dropping into LVC. On a few take offs I just heard the slipper slipping, then it picked up speed, then it would drop out. I did manage to hit 56.4mph but I think better can be done, just need to work out the kinks of running 4s. Was short of time and was also helping my nephew with his rustler. He has trashed it and has no sense of its value. Has gone through 2 sets of tires in a couple weeks. He probably wonders why I won't let him borrow any of mine.

lol how old is he? i got my first hobby grade rc which was a rustler april 2013 and a month later my nephew which i think was 4 at the time got a 2wd ST. i got the new 4 pole vxl system and gave him my old vxl system to put in it. luckily his futaba tx lets you adjust the throttle with a knob cuz all he does is full throttle and it would constantly flip on it backs if we couldnt turn it down

RC Qualifier
    Just turn 13 and still has to learn the value of the dollar. Just really hard on his stuff and will even run it when its clearly broke, then expect someone to fix it for him while he is busy playing on the phone. My 5 year old has more understanding of treating what you have, properly. He's not so much into rc's but loves his lego's.

Yeah dude I hear you some of my kids friends dont understand the value of things and get moody with me when I won't let them drive my truck......peace