Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

I've bent another motor plate! (lcg) A known problem?

I'm getting a little frustrated as no lhs in my area stocks lcg motor plates...

The first plate bent was the factory one after installation of a Castle Creations 1410. I neglected to use firm enough thread lock and the motor came loose, bounced around bending it. My fault. Or so I thought.

You can barely tell in the photos but it is bent right at the mount holes.

Here it is on top the plate included in my (uninstalled) lcg kit for my other Sl4sh.

I happily replaced the motor mount and motor plate with ST Racing pieces and after only two bash sessions my motor plate is bent again! The bottom of the motor is still nice and snug to the plate but the top isn't and it is (obviously) screwing up the gear mesh.

Here's the whole picture of what I'm running.

It seems Traxxas knows about this, here are the motor plates side by side. Left: the original from my R4lly.
    Right: the one included in the lcg kit.

Has anyone else had this problem? How should I remedy it?

It seems from the sources I've seen STRC, Hot Racing, and most vendors of Traxxas have only motor plates with horizontal holes.

Any ideas?

RC Champion
    Hhmmm.... I have never had this problem so far, but then again I'm running NIMH through a 2400kv motor. I'd call traxxas and see what they would suggest and do for you.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    I've had the 2650 3 years and no issues so far. Its been installed on both HCG and LCG chassis.
    slash 4x4

RC Champion

I myself have never had this problem as well or really ever seen anyone have this issue. You running the plastic motor mount (stock).?
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    I myself have never had this problem as well or really ever seen anyone have this issue. You running the plastic motor mount (stock).?
    Previously, yes, the stock motor plate bent using the plastic motor mount. Now I'm running STRC mount and plate.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I was running 2 years with stock motor mount and plate and mine was fine, now I have HR motor mount.
    Thats very unusual to bend a plate like that, not very common.

RC Enthusiast
    Looks like it's from really hard landings, where the chassis smacks the ground, and the weight of the motor bends the plate. Just a guess by how it's bent. Neither myself or my friend have ever had this issue. So you have a couple options, change the way the car lands, change the suspension to ride higher so the chassis doesn't smack the ground, or buy a bunch of extra motor plates to keep onhand.

RC Competitor
    i would make the motor mount of steel its much more stronger

RC Champion
    I believe he is using a aluminum motor mount from STRC luuk.

RC Champion
    Interesting theory yellowdatsun, that would take some pretty serious air to do something like that and highly unlikely is it the cause. Pretty strange issue.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks so much for your input everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowdatsun View Post
    Looks like it's from really hard landings, where the chassis smacks the ground, and the weight of the motor bends the plate. Just a guess by how it's bent. Neither myself or my friend have ever had this issue. So you have a couple options, change the way the car lands, change the suspension to ride higher so the chassis doesn't smack the ground, or buy a bunch of extra motor plates to keep onhand.
    This could be possible, my favorite bash spot is a local skate park(anything that isn't pavement here is corn or jagged gravel)
    But I have all four corners' shocks almost fully inboard.
    Interesting theory yellowdatsun, that would take some pretty serious air to do something like that and highly unlikely is it the cause. Pretty strange issue.
    I love the sprit of dissent! And your build thread (so much info and inspiration)!

What would you consider serious air?

I do the same bashing with my other as-of-yet still hcg Sl4sh and have yet to encounter the same with it. Same ride height, same droop. Though different shocks and springs. Pro-line Powerstrokes on hcg and Ultra w/blue Losi Springs on the lcg.

Side by side:

So what next? I don't want to give up the skate park bashing so don't even suggest that

Stiffer springs? Longer shocks to to raise the ride/reduce droop? If so, which of each.

Bring a hammer to flatten it out? I mean the aliens that keep bending it. flatten them with the hammer. I guess it could also flatten the motor plate if it has to.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Champion

Skate park bashing, some huge hits I could see this possibly happening? I see your running a chassis brace. When I ment some serious air I'm talking like 15-20feet and landing on concrete/pavement. Which is easily possible at a skate park. Haven't really looked into it is there any other lcg motor plates out besides TRX and STRC? Maybe HR has one?

I can't vouch for extreme abuse with the lcg though as all I've ran is onroad and at the rc track/off-road. But with all my other 4wd trucks I've never seen this even with lots of abuse and broken parts, not a motor plate though.

Thanks for checking my build out, glad you enjoyed it

And yea I'd never suggest no skate park bashing lol, if it were me it would be totally worth the $5 every few packs for a new plate to hit the skate park up

RC Enthusiast
    Skate park bashing, some huge hits I could see this possibly happening? I see your running a chassis brace. When I ment some serious air I'm talking like 15-20feet and landing on concrete/pavement. Which is easily possible at a skate park. Haven't really looked into it is there any other lcg motor plates out besides TRX and STRC? Maybe HR has one?

I can't vouch for extreme abuse with the lcg though as all I've ran is onroad and at the rc track/off-road. But with all my other 4wd trucks I've never seen this even with lots of abuse and broken parts, not a motor plate though.

Thanks for checking my build out, glad you enjoyed it

And yea I'd never suggest no skate park bashing lol, if it were me it would be totally worth the $5 every few packs for a new plate to hit the skate park up
    Here's a quick vid of some of my fun at the park I like best. I don't think I get that kind of air but you can be the judge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcejnLHROoA

RC Champion

Looks like fun man would love to have access to something like that. No clue what's going on, no reason bashing like that will bend a motor plate. If it were me I'd strip the whole back end down put it all back together checking everything, replace motor plate and hope it doesn't happen again. Otherwise no clue lol.

Both times it's been near the top it bends? Where the mounting screw goes in?

what wt oil do you use?

RC Enthusiast
    Looks like fun man would love to have access to something like that. No clue what's going on, no reason bashing like that will bend a motor plate. If it were me I'd strip the whole back end down put it all back together checking everything, replace motor plate and hope it doesn't happen again. Otherwise no clue lol.

Both times it's been near the top it bends? Where the mounting screw goes in?
    It bends at the holes where the motor bolts, which is the horizontal holes

The new one included in the 7421, the lcg conversion kit has vertical holes for attaching the motor

I think this will get me closer to solving my seemingly unique problem. I just hope I can get another one (or more) to complete converting my other Sl4sh and have some on backup without buying $40 kits!

RC Qualifier
    To me your landings are to hard, up your shock oil by 10 or so, to create piston pack. With it bending at the motor screws, its only an observation.
    Last edited by Shaky17; 08-03-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    To me your landings are to hard, up your shock oil by 10 or so, to create piston pack. With it bending at the motor screws, its only an observation.
    Decent advice. Sounds worth a try. Idk what weight is in there. I bought it as a roller... I think it's safe to assume that their still factory filled and work from there given the circumstances.

RC Qualifier
    I have 60w in my rear shocks. Great for big air but not for rough terrain. Maybe start there since your on concrete?
    Bashing Slash ultimate, 2 minis, and 5B

RC Qualifier
    What is that car you have your 2 sitting on?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrc121 View Post
    What is that car you have your 2 sitting on?
    Mine's the middle blue one.

RC Qualifier
    Lol not at all what I was thinking.

RC Racer
    Yup I've bent a few myself. Using the longer heavier 4 pole motors on the market really stress the plate on hard landings. I've been looking for something thicker but haven't found anything.

RC Enthusiast
    Lol not at all what I was thinking.
    I figure you were probably thinking I had an Impreza, possibly or the rally inspired variety... Which I will likely put in the garage next to this relatively soon... Especially if the Levorg reaches American shores as WRX Wagon.

I digress, motor plate on order, heavier shock oil attempt 1 in progress.

RC Qualifier
    What weight will you try first?

RC Enthusiast
    Since I got it as a roller, I don't know when if ever the oil was changed and I have some 50 on hand so... I guess I'll see how some fresh 50 works.

Before that however, I found in my parts some a pair of very firm black springs of indeterminate origin... Gonna give those a try on the rear first... See how that handles, Even though I think they'll be too firm...
    Then I'll probably swap out the oil.
    Last edited by EdgarSuit; 08-03-2014 at 06:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    One suggestion and I did this mistake. Don't do too stiff in the rear without adding thicker oil. The rebound on jumps will throw your truck all over. I jumped my driveway curb after only tightening the preload to keep from bottoming out and the truck flipped right to its lid. So stiffer springs add thicker oil.

RC Enthusiast
    Good news , everyone!

Maybe...
    I made a call to Traxxas support this morning which, near the end, got cut short by poor cell service.

What I was able to gather from the associate was that, he had heard of a few bent lcg motor plates, and after some digging in the computer and putting me on hold to talk to superiors, he could unofficially say that the lcg motor plate, part #7490, has had a design change in order to provide better support which seems to include a 90 shift in location of the screw holes...

He continued on, but that's when we got cut off...

Upon calling back later to see what, if more information is available, a less helpful, less enthusiastic operator informed me that this had "never happened to MY Rally and I've never heard of it happening to anyone else either."

So mixed messages from the Traxxas camp at the moment, but it sounds as though in the future #7490s may all have vertical screw holes, like mine from the lcg kit.

RC Qualifier
    Well that sounds like sort of good news

I looked both my LCG chassis and my old one was horizontal while my new one vertical which explain the different angle of the back of motor wire. I did not noticed the hole patern until you point it out lol. Thanks for sharing

I am running the strc one and at the last race my motor stripped the mounting holes so got a rebuild kit and bolted it together and noticed that the mount was bent. It is thicker than the Traxxas ones but the mounting holes are the same. Bent the same way. I was thinking of putting something under the motor to prop it up in case of a hard landing. Or drilling out another two holes to mount the motor with 4 screws instead of just two.

someone (aftermarket company or traxxas) should come up with a one piece aluminum motor mount design with a 45 degree angle for the motor to adjust diagonally slide up and down almost like from the XO-1 but with 45 degree angle.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    someone (aftermarket company or traxxas) should come up with a one piece aluminum motor mount design with a 45 degree angle for the motor to adjust diagonally slide up and down almost like from the XO-1 but with 45 degree angle.
    Strc does this with their custom chassis. But not for traxxas' chassis.

Strc does this with their custom chassis. But not for traxxas' chassis.
    Yeah I know about that but what I'm saying with stock chassis wise

RC Qualifier
    Oh I know I wish they would too!

RC Enthusiast
    So I swapped the dirty old oil out for 50w. It was hard to resist the temptation to make a bunch of changes all at once! I did move all 4 to the farthest outboard hole up top, they had been in the middle.
    I went for a short bash at the skate park. Landings felt a bit softer. There was a lot less scraping at full throttle around the pool and less chassis slap on higher jumps.

I also got some evidence that the shocks were working harder.

I guess what I read about the Ultra shocks not liking heavier oil is true. I have a set of Big Bores that I tried on my hcg a long time ago. I didn't like them then but I used the supplied oil/springs. This time I'll swap over everything from the Ultras.
    Last edited by EdgarSuit; 08-08-2014 at 10:48 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Forgot to mention, bought a motor mount. There it is, vertical holes. Stick with stock till the aftermarket catches up!
    I'm guessing that if anyone is going to bend one it'll be me... You can bet I'll post real quick if that happens!

RC Competitor
    I know this is an old thread came across it looking for something else. Drill out the other two holes and use all 4 holes.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_2 View Post
    I know this is an old thread came across it looking for something else. Drill out the other two holes and use all 4 holes.
    Not needed but a good idea. I heard about the horizontal plate having problems and immediately checked which one my ultimate came with. To my peach of mind it was vertical holes. No problems have come up with it. I even striped the annodizing off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast